Tech summit celebrates pioneers, past and present, at annual gathering

• KorihorTheTeacher Salt Lake City, UT
    June 10, 2018 11:44 a.m.

Utah technologist here (although I work for a global tech company and not a local one).

Romney, Nelson and others mentioned may have some tenuous past relationship with innovation or innovation-supporting policy but aren't relevant now. If Utah wants to make good on its hype as a fast-growing tech hub it needs to avoid the common Utah mistake of overselling back-patting events among LDS leaders, local LDS-associated government, and LDS celebrities (like Romney). No one who is working on the next hard engineering and technology problems cares about any of these people or their networking b.s. in the small LDS community. To be relevant, a Utah tech summit should feature technical leaders in Utah and work to make associations beyond the LDS echo chamber. This is how private and public partnerships are made that yield real technological advancement. Short of that, we should just funnel resources into the U: they are adept at working with other universities on innovative research.

• DETERMINISM UTAH, UT
    June 6, 2018 6:24 p.m.

Is anyone else tired of hearing about the tech industry and silicon slopes? Most of these tech companies haven’t turned a profit and are living large on debt. Big homes, private jets, court side seats at the jazz game all paid by venture capital loans. The tech industry is a fleeting industry because automation and innovation will make a robust workforce obsolete. In ten years tech companies will be paying one employee to do the job of 10 former employees because innovation has streamlined processes and procedures. As technology advances, jobs decrease because efficiency per employee increases. These debt heavy companies are pretending they need more employees but are counting on leveraged debt to pay them. Not a bet I would take. Even the companies going public in Utah are seeing their stock value disintegrate and can’t pay their long term debt with the earning from thei IPO’s. Am I alone in my thinking?

• Fisherman Roosevelt, UT
    June 6, 2018 5:39 p.m.

And what insight in the real world of technology innovation would Mike Kennedy have to offer at this summit? I think if Mike Kennedy spoke at a doctor/lawyer seminar, Governor Romney should not be invited or expected to speak just because Mr. Kennedy got to speak to a group of people about a subject he is very familiar with.

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    June 6, 2018 4:33 p.m.

How unfair to have Mitt Romney speak at this conference when Mike Kennedy has no voice!

• Flipphone Sandy, UT
    June 6, 2018 3:38 p.m.

Mitt Romney, grew up in Michigan, moved to Utah to head the Utah Olympic games then moved to Massachusetts to run for governor, owned a home in Park city run for President twice, sold his home in Park City and was living in Massachusetts, then a few months ago re purchased a home in Park City and announced, with the blessing of Orin Hutch, is now running for Orin Hutch senate seat... Is Mitt Romney even a citizen of Utah?

• M_Hawke Golden, CO
    June 6, 2018 1:57 p.m.

Pres. Nelson is so deserving of the award. Because of his surgical breakthroughs, thousands of people's lives have been saved or prolonged.

@imsmarterthanyou I agree with your sentiments. I remember when Californians found greener pastures in my home state of CO, it ruined my state in so many ways.

I, for one, am Romney-fatigued. I'm so tired of reading about him in the news and what he has to say. I'm glad I do not live in Utah where they will be bombarded with political ads and news with him in it.

• imsmarterthanyou Salt Lake City, UT
    June 6, 2018 12:05 p.m.

I'm not the only one who cringes at the idea of the population of california moving to Utah. For so many years we had Nevada as a buffer between us and the bad elements of california. Perhaps they will all come here and we can go there and again be away from it all.

• Gil Bates Mayfield, UT
    June 6, 2018 11:47 a.m.

I don't suppose they'll spend much time talking about Utopia.

That's the problem with these summits; they never bring up their past flops.