Amy Donaldson: In finally finishing Squaw Peak 50, I learned some lessons about failure and living a brave life

• D Van Duker Syracuse, UT
    June 5, 2018 9:22 a.m.

A great and heartwarming story. I'm impressed with those who can finish such a race; and I admire those that train and are willing to start such a race as well.

• Sanefan Wellsville, UT
    June 5, 2018 8:05 a.m.

Amazing article, maybe your best I've read! Congratulations, I found myself getting a wee bit teary eyed as I read your finish!

• JasonH84 Salt Lake City, UT
    June 5, 2018 6:43 a.m.

Amy Donaldson is a treasure. Thank you for so eloquently sharing your vulnerability, insights and wisdom.

• Run to Live Alpine, UT
    June 4, 2018 4:46 p.m.

Amy, thank you for describing what we were all feeling that day. You captured the heart and soul of that experience. Ruthie, Bonnie and I were honored to share the hardest part of the Squaw Peak 50 Mile course with you! Step, by painful step, we made it together up that monster's back (Bozung Hill) and faced our fears head on and beat the demon! Congratulations on finishing what you started on a journey that has lasted years!! Yes, gratitute in all things!!

• toobs1042 Springville, UT
    June 4, 2018 2:59 p.m.

Wow - incredible article. I ran the SP 50 on Saturday, and feel very similar, even though it was my first time. What an incredible physical challenge. My knee blew out at the top of Bozung Hill and hobbling to the finish line was among the most difficult things I've ever done, both mentally and physically. Congrats on your finish!

• New to Utah Provo, UT
    June 4, 2018 2:41 p.m.

This was a fun entertaining and very human article. Amy thanks for writing this very real and poignant story.

• fliebynight Billings, MT
    June 4, 2018 2:00 p.m.

Congratulations! Well done. I've done one 50 miler, and it's the last I'll do. I'm glad I finished, but I was ready to quit at 26 miles. Knowing my family was at the end of the course powered me through. I'm glad you were able to conquer this race, what a great feeling to accomplish a BHAG like this race!

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    June 4, 2018 12:53 p.m.

50 miles? Running 50 miles up hill? How? Seems impossible. I climb 14ers (14000+ peaks in Colorado and California) and I can say that just climbing those peaks is brutal enough -- but I love it! I have to say congrat's to Amy for doing this . I couldn't run even half way. Amazing feat!

• MBB Salt Lake City, UT
    June 4, 2018 10:54 a.m.

Nice job! Not just on the run but on this piece. Very well written.

• Dennis Harwich, MA
    June 4, 2018 6:10 a.m.

That's the best piece you've ever written. Well done!

• Boyd in Provo , 00
    June 3, 2018 11:14 p.m.

Very well done Amy Donaldson. There are many days I struggle just to walk a mile and you conquered your demons and completed the Squaw Peak 50. This is a very well written article on enduring to the end. I wish you continued success at whatever life gives you.

• Ironman SANTA CLARA, UT
    June 3, 2018 10:42 p.m.

Well done, Amy. Your next challenge: The Bear 100 in 2019. Register early!