100,000 turn out for 43rd annual Utah Pride Parade to celebrate acceptance, organizers say

Commenting has temporarily been suspended in preparation for our new website launch, which is planned for the week of August 12th. When the new site goes live, we will also launch our new commenting platform. Thank you for your patience while we make these changes.

• Rikitikitavi Cardston, Alberta
    June 8, 2018 6:56 a.m.

A friend of mine has a trans child(now an adult.) Depression was a problem before transition and is still a problem now after transition.
    Sure looks like transition has not solved a thing.
    Maybe depression has been the major problem all along.
    Can't put the toothpaste back in the tube if surgery has been done!!!

• Ranch Here, UT
    June 5, 2018 10:50 a.m.

@Not another naysayer;

I don't believe you love your brother if you believe that businesses should be allowed to discriminate against him. That isn't love; it's sophistry.

• Utefan60 Salt Lake City, UT
    June 4, 2018 5:59 p.m.

Vanceone - Provo, UT, I'm surprised your comments got through the moderators.

Such mean spirited and untruthfulness in your letter.

"These people" that you say are so nasty about are more Christ like than most people. They are the ones that accept others, because unlike you, they have been through it all, hatred, bigotry, loss of civil rights, discrimination, murders, and suicides. But you sit there never having to experience what they have and tell everyone that they are taking away your freedom of religion or trying to take God out of everyone's life? That is untrue, and edcuated, moral and honest people don't buy that story.

God's children include all LBGTQ individuals. Even the LDS Church no longer teaches that homosexuality can be cured. That went away after one LDS leader called those born gay, sinful. That doctrine was removed.

Every citizen has the rights that our secular Constitution allows. The LBGTQ community has had to fight long and hard to get those rights. And during that time not a single religious freedom was violated. I would ask Mike Lee, Orin Hatch and LDS President Nelson to name one religious right they have lost? One?

• Not another naysayer Lehi, UT
    June 4, 2018 5:11 p.m.

I have a brother who is gay. I love him. He loves me. I love the partner he married as well. He loves me as well. I accept them. I want every human right of decency to be extended to them and to all... both gay and straight.

Just because I love and accept their chosen life style does not mean I must endorse the movement. They would never want nor request I do so. They know my convictions are otherwise.

I applaud the Supreme Courts ruling. Just because one group wants to live a live style does not mean others should have to bow in fear to cater to them.... whether gay or straight.

Let's live and let live... and extend kindnesses to those who chose to live different than us. But please... don't force others to compromise their rights and moral convictions to support another's agenda.

Know this, that ev’ry soul is free
    To choose his life and what he’ll be;
    For this eternal truth is giv’n:
    That God will force no man to heav’n.

He’ll call, persuade, direct aright,
    And bless with wisdom, love, and light,
    In nameless ways be good and kind,
    But never force the human mind.

I endorse freedom for all... both gay and straight! Let God do the judging.

• appdancer murfreesboro, rutherford co., TN
    June 4, 2018 4:34 p.m.

How sad to read the ugly remarks here. Thanks to those who have posted positive comments!!

• Joe Hilll Salt Lake City, UT
    June 4, 2018 1:50 p.m.

@vancone

So Tolstoy called for "equality" and you read that as "they wish nothing other than to enslave the rest us to their whim. They wish to be master, not fellow citizens"? That says more about you and your mind set then anyone else's.

• Ranch Here, UT
    June 4, 2018 12:26 p.m.

@DD;

The story of Sodom isn't about what you think it's about. Read Ezekiel again.

• Joe Hilll Salt Lake City, UT
    June 4, 2018 12:02 p.m.

@slcmom
    thank you for being willing to cross that bridge. I have had the same experience with the LGBTQ community for the past several decades. Every time I have reached out with friendship and understanding I have found many welcoming hands reaching back. If only those that believe its about "being in Utah's face" or (religions face) would cross even halfway they may see that people in the LGBTQ are no different then they are and just want to live their authentic life's with peace and dignity.

• Vanceone Provo, UT
    June 4, 2018 11:55 a.m.

Back in the 80's, President Benson gave a talk: Beware of Pride.

How... appropriate. The talk said that pride is enmity towards God. That's the best description of the LGBT community there is. These people hate God, and as Tolstoy demonstrated, they wish nothing other than to enslave the rest us to their whim. They wish to be master, not fellow citizens.

Over in the thread about the Supreme court decision, gays are proclaiming the need to strip business licenses from people; to silence them via government force; to drive them out of society. In this thread, no one can say "no" to a gay person no matter what the demand. They honestly are trying to bring back the antebellum south, with them as master and the rest of us as slaves.

I for one say that we should tolerate the gays as much as they tolerate the rest of us. What could be more fair than that? And if that means no gay ever gets service anywhere ever again... well, that's their fault.

• SLCMom Salt Lake City, UT
    June 4, 2018 11:38 a.m.

I admit, before Sunday I had never attended a PRIDE event before. I'm not gay, and I'm an active LDS woman. However, on Friday night at the #BeOne Celebration I was inspired by our prophet President Nelson's powerful message to "Build Bridges of Cooperation, not Walls of Segregation" and his blessing "that we may overcome ANY BURDENS of PREJUDICE and walk uprightly with God, and with one another, in perfect peace and harmony."

I chose to take that mandate literally. I went in my "church clothes" to walk in peace and harmony with about 300+ other Mormons Building Bridges extending love & support for our LGBTQAI brothers and sisters. The parade was excellently organized and peaceful. There was overwhelming love, generosity and kindness everywhere. When we started walking, the crowd cheered! I continually heard shouts of "We Love You!" and "Thank You!". I started to cry, I was so overwhelmed with how fully welcomed I was by this beautiful, sweet community of souls. What a gift I'll treasure forever! In the words of Seuss, my heart "grew two sizes" on Sunday. I truly felt the Spirit of God and our Savior's Love at the Pride Parade. I'll definitely be making this an annual tradition.

• bamafone Salem, UT
    June 4, 2018 11:33 a.m.

Tolstoy,
    They have full equality, One has the right to not bake a cake and the other has the right to find someone who will. One has the right to attend the gay pride parade and the other one doesn't have to. There is harmony there, we can disagree on fundamental principles that guide our lives, but we don't have to force each other to accept our views. It's really a beautiful thing, unless someone thinks they are going to force one to accept and embrace another s view and pound them into submission.

• Bloodhound Provo, UT
    June 4, 2018 10:47 a.m.

God clearly spoke on these matters in the Old and New Testaments. Unlike many modern people who reject the Bible, I accept God's word as delivered through the Prophet Moses and the Apostle Paul. I do not agree with the lifestyles these parades promote.

• SueAverett Pleasant Grove, UT
    June 4, 2018 10:36 a.m.

What exactly is "acceptance" I wonder. That word has many meanings in a religious sense.
    Both sides would win with tolerance, diversity, love, even equality under the law.
    But, acceptance of something that goes contrary to a religious tenant is another thing entirely.

• iammad ROOSEVELT, UT
    June 4, 2018 10:32 a.m.

Pride.
    That says a lot.
    It comes before the fall.
    People are trying to find happiness; looking here and looking there.
    True happiness comes from serving and helping others.
    Not in a parade where it is all about "me."

• LivinLarge Bountiful, UT
    June 4, 2018 10:25 a.m.

This has very little to do with acceptance and more to do with in your face Utah...

• Diligent Dave Logan, UT
    June 4, 2018 10:21 a.m.

8 For *Jerusalem is ruined, and Judah is fallen, because their tongues and their doings have been against the Lord, to provoke the eyes of his glory.

9 The show of their countenance doth witness against them, and doth declare their sin to be even as Sodom, and they cannot hide it. Wo unto their souls, for they have rewarded evil unto themselves!

10 Say unto the righteous that it is well with them; for they shall eat the fruit of their doings.

11 Wo unto the wicked, for they shall perish; for the reward of their hands shall be upon them!

Book of Mormon - 2 Nephi 13 / (Bible - Old Testament Isaiah 3)

*Salt Lake City

Some wink at offending God. But offending the LGBT community? Now THAT'S absolute heresy!

• Tolstoy salt lake, UT
    June 4, 2018 10:00 a.m.

we were sadly reminded today with the cake ruling why this is still so important and that we are far from reaching full equality for the LGBTQ community.

• zgomer Salt Lake City, UT
    June 4, 2018 9:59 a.m.

I see the supreme Court ruled against a gay couple trying to sue a shop that makes cakes and such for wedding says because of religious beliefs that the gay couple couldn't sue them...nice to know justice does work at times.

• dmcvey Los Angeles, CA
    June 4, 2018 9:25 a.m.

Very cool! Back when I lived in Utah this was a tiny event in the corner of a park. Great job Utah LGBT people!

• Newlin Sandy, UT
    June 4, 2018 7:17 a.m.

A middle school student identifies as “transgender/non-binary”. Call me out-of-touch and clueless and you’ll likely be right on all things concerning what the parade was about. I just have a hard time believing that a still-maturing 14 year-old has what it takes to correctly identify many of the basic things in life, let alone what his sexuality consists of.

Signs of the times, in my opinion...

• RG Buena Vista, VA
    June 4, 2018 5:54 a.m.

I'm bothered that the gay community (all over the world) has co-opted the word "pride." First, they took the word "gay" which used to mean "happy" and now it means "homosexual." Now "pride."
    And of course God loves gays, and we should too. But he does not approve of homosexual behavior, just as he does not approve of heterosexual behavior in any circumstance but a marriage. So the tolerance that we ought to have should not extend to accepting that which God has forbidden.

• Mainly Me Werribee, 00
    June 4, 2018 1:30 a.m.

"It's about...acceptance."

Yup, it never was about tolerance. They want acceptance of something proscribed by God.

• Silver Stingray St George, UT
    June 3, 2018 11:21 p.m.

Its nice to see a happy event like this that is even more inclusive than "Be One."

• kmike las vegas, NV
    June 3, 2018 10:24 p.m.

This is great, having a brother that was gay living in UT and not being accepted he had to move to SF to fit in, this was back in 76, So congrats Ut for your acceptance.

Everyone is equal in the sight of God, Weather you are two people holding hands who happen to be of the same gender, or you are covered from head to toe in Tatto's

Everyone is Equal and needs to be treated the same.

What a wonderful world it would be.

• NoNamesAccepted St. George, UT
    June 3, 2018 7:59 p.m.

>>Seipp said the community still has to "fight for rights in the workplace"

What rights are missing in the workplace? Utah's anti-discrimination law protects sexual orientation in the vast majority of companies and in most housing.

For housing the only exception is landlords renting basement aprtments or other very small number of closely held units. For employment, there are 2 exceptions: Religious employers, and Small closely held companies with a small number of employees. In all other cases, sexual minorities enjoy legal protection.

And long before the law was passed, most were enjoying protections under company policies as employers rushed to avoid being boycotted for not being friendly.

The sexual minority community has virtually every legal protection it might reasonably expect. In Utah, retail sales are not yet required to avoid discrimination on either this issue or lawful possession of a firearm. If we can carve out a narrow exception for wedding related services, we can probably give gays more protections than we give lawful gun carriers.

Social acceptance is another issue. Not everyone loves my religion or politics. Some will never like sexual minority issues.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    June 3, 2018 6:10 p.m.

They celebrate acceptance and diversity unless your values don't line up with their values.

If they do not, they (LGBT) will fight you tooth and nail and in the words of Dan Reynolds (Imagine Dragons), they will not stop until the LDS Church and all religions for that matter, fully embrace, their ever reaching global agenda.

They will fight you in the Courts, in the Legislatures, in the Media, in Hollywood and in Congress.

They will never accept your contrary Religious views.

• Uteofferouus Salt Lake City, UT
    June 3, 2018 5:32 p.m.

Does pride parade promote understanding, tolerance and acceptance of diverse views including those of traditional families and values?