Willie Mays gets Jimmered?; how many wins will BYU football earn next season?

• MarkMAN West Columbia, TX
    June 2, 2018 5:52 p.m.

Sports Nut

Who was baseball’s greatest player? Maybe too hard to know. Pete Rose Willie Mays Cy Young Ty Cobb the Iron Man and so forth and so forth. One who wasn’t is the Babe. He certainly was the most important but not the best. Tough question, maybe never be really known.

BTW Willie was perhaps the best all around player ever. Fielding hitting base running. When he was on second pitchers catchers changed signal systems constantly because Willie would figure it out pretty fast and signal the batter.

Mark

• UoU 1991 Park City, UT
    June 1, 2018 9:35 a.m.

Utah's October/November Meltdown History

2011: 2-3/3-1, LOST at home to Colorado (3-10) to lose gift-wrapped division title
    2012: 1-3/2-2
    2013: 1-3/1-3
    2014: 3-0/2-3
    2015: 3-1/2-2
    2016: 3-2/1-2
    2017: 0-4/2-2

October: 13-16 (44%)
    November: 13-15 (46%)

Utah has had three winning Octobers, but only one winning November.

• london_josh Lincoln, CA
    May 31, 2018 5:46 p.m.

Who am I,

I appreciate actually having a discussion rather than the "my dad can beat up your dad . . . period!" that is annoyingly typical here.

You asked what the normal BYU is. the LaVell period was a really long time, it wasn't a few years, it was a long time, and that built the tradition that is now BYU football. Crowton had one amazing year and then a few ugly years, but Mendenhall had multiple 11 and 10 win seasons and fell out of favor with fans not due to losses but due to mediocrity that included a bowl game each year even when we started playing bigger teams (I'll fault fans for assuming that 10 win seasons playing 6 P5 games is as realistic as it was playing 2 p5 games).

I think it's safe to say that the norm is BYU bowling at least. Kalani went 9-4 his first year at BYU and then went 4-9, even his norm, short as it is, would be a 6-6 record if we average it out.

Of course with 120+ teams receiving predictions BYU isn't more than a tiny dot on the radar after a miserable year, they go off computer stats from last year, that's why I don't buy into it.

We'll see who's right and who's wrong, hope both teams have a great year, I want Utah to win 11 games.

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    May 31, 2018 3:39 p.m.

"Cougs have the potential to win 8 or 9 and go to a decent bowl."

These are the possible bowl games for Brigham this year:
    Armed Forces Bowl
    Heart of Dallas Bowl
    Las Vegas Bowl
    New Mexico Bowl
    Texas Bowl

• vasislos Holbrook, AZ
    May 31, 2018 1:25 p.m.

Predicting college football is really just an exercise in somewhat educated guessing. Too much turn-over from year to year (obviously around 25%) and too many unknowns such as how well the incoming high school players will adapt to the college game. Plus changes in coaching.

As far as "swing" games, I think the first three will set the tone for the whole season. Win them all and it could be a special season, win one or two and be competitive in the other and it could be at least a turn-around year. Lose those three and not really be competitive and it will just be an extension from last year with probably a losing season.

So, I think that the Cougs have the potential to win 8 or 9 and go to a decent bowl. They also might win only 4 or 5 and be in the doldrums for another off-season.

I will go with my heart and predict 8 wins.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    May 31, 2018 12:49 p.m.

“Either you’re living in denial or you haven’t been paying attention.”

In other words, you have zero by way of refutation to what I stated....Gotcha.

GO UTES!

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    May 31, 2018 12:48 p.m.

“The two losses Utah suffered last November were critical losses that kept the Utes from finally getting their first divisional title!”

Untrue....USC had an insurmountable lead by then in The South.

You debunked zero I stated, as usual, regardless of how many exclamation-marks you use....Nice try, Sunshine.

GO UTES!

• Road Runner Cedar City, UT
    May 31, 2018 12:31 p.m.

azute1

“We hardly have a “meltdown” in Nov every yr...”

Either you’re living in denial or you haven’t been paying attention.

• Michigan Cougsfan68 Ann Arbor, MI
    May 31, 2018 10:52 a.m.

AzUte1,
    Does Utah have a winning conference record in the Month of November? The two losses Utah suffered last November were critical losses that kept the Utes from finally getting their first divisional title! If you usually do well in August and September but flameout and lose important games in November then that is the definition of meltdown!
    Try and spin it however you want! 0-7 in division titles, 0 CCG appearances, 0 CFP games, and still comparing yourselves to and using BYU as your measuring stick despite your claim that BYU is in your rearview mirror and irrelevant to all sports now!

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 31, 2018 10:01 a.m.

@London Josh

You could be right. I could be right. Not mutually exclusive.
    If I am right and those 3 games are "swing" games and you are right BYU 3-0 then to me that
    means BYU will have a good season.
    '"Usually in statistics you throw out an outlier, look at typical BYU..." What is typical BYU? If you indeed throw out the outlier of the Edwards era and look at the rest of BYU's entire history, what is "typical BYU"?
    "... I think Utah will have a great team, does it matter?" Yes, it matters to all Utah fans, should matter to all Utahns to varying degree (publicity for the state), and certainly matters to all PAC-12 members and their fans ie. it matters to Utah fans how strong each of the conference members are.
    In the Las Vegas odds makers article I loved that Utah was listed as a "swing" game for 7 of the 9 conference games they play this year. Utah was identified as a "swing game for Washington, USC, Oregon, Washington State, Arizona, Colorado, and UCLA. (Utah not identified as a "swing game" for Stanford nor Arizona State. However, Stanford was listed as a "swing game" for Utah!)
    Anyway, time will answer all of the above!

• KimmyP Grantsville, UT
    May 31, 2018 9:44 a.m.

LOL, apparently those in Rock Springs aren't aware of the historical lineage between Big Brother and little brother in Utah. They mistakenly believe it has something to do with stadium size or the mystical year of 1984. But, it simply comes down to history.

In 1850, Brigham Young founded the University of Utah as the flagship University in the area. Then, twenty five years later, on a whim, he founded a parochial school in provo and decided to name it after himself. Therefore, since 1875 Utah has been Big Brother to byu. 😂

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    May 31, 2018 9:21 a.m.

@london

Utah should win, what are the odds with so many close games that Utah keeps winning? November meltdown might happen, I think Utah will have a great team, does it matter? this game is personal and can go either-way.

-----

Close games? BYU has led for a total of FOUR minutes since 2011.

More like what's the odds of BYU pulling off a miracle? Slim!

If Utah is as good as advertised, then BYU is in for a beat down.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    May 31, 2018 9:12 a.m.

gchris - rock springs, wy
    May 30, 2018 6:03 p.m.
    @Kimmy

----

None of which will help you against UMass and Utah State.

Focus on today, you have a great chance of being 6-6 this season.

• Lester L. Wester Henderson, NV
    May 31, 2018 8:48 a.m.

gchris: “Please tell me again who Big Brother is. It would have to be a school with a bigger enrollment, a bigger stadium, a bigger fan-base, a Heisman Trophy winner, a National Championship.”

It’s certainly not a school that hasn’t beaten a P-5 final ranked team in over 23 years, gets beat at home by UMass on Homecoming, no undefeated seasons this century, never ranked in the CFP Poll, and is nationally ranked in the Bottom 10.

• Wallbanger Spanish Fork, UT
    May 31, 2018 8:40 a.m.

If this were a Harmon article, byu would have a100 % chance of going undefeated this year! And beating Alabama by double digits in the NC, followed by an invite by the SEC or the Big 10.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    May 31, 2018 8:25 a.m.

Watch Davies Highlight video. He looks thinner and more athletic than when at BYU. He was a very good college player at BYU. He looks even better now.

I think BYU will win at least 7 football games this year.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    May 31, 2018 2:33 a.m.

“November meltdown might happen,”

We hardly have a “meltdown” in Nov every yr, but byu-p unequivocally has their annual September meltdown, because they don’t ever beat solid P5s.

Take last yr as an example....We destroyed both UCLA/CU & then lost to ranked WAZZU by a single score & lost an absolute heartbreaker by 3 in a game we s/h won @ ranked UW.

We ended up narrowly losing to 2 ranked opponents we were favored to lose to & dominated 2 opponents we were favored against....Hardly a “meltdown” by any stretch.

Conversely, byu-p’s entire yr last year was one meltdown after another.

In your favorite month, Nov, because you mention it in virtually every one of your comments, byu-p went an identical 2-2, yet their opponents were the murderer’s row constituted by the following—Fresno State/UNLV/UMASS @ home L/Hawai’i.

Your obsession w/our Novembers is ludicrous....This notion has officially become extinct, period.

This coming Nov has us w/4 games we absolutely s/b favored in, including @ ASU, & byu-p has 2, most likely 3, guaranteed Ls, w/NMSU their only hope for a W.

There you have it—We suffer ZERO “meltdowns”/byu-p suffers multiple meltdowns, yet again!

GO UTES!

• london_josh Lincoln, CA
    May 30, 2018 11:30 p.m.

Who am I,

The question is, was last year a bad anomaly for BYU, something that can be fixed by coaching and going back to some basics, or a true indication of the program? If it's either of the first two options, then BYU 2017 isn't a great baseline.

Personally I feel that a segment of the issues of last year are issues that can be remedied. I blame the OL for a massive part of it, WRs couldn't get open nor could they hold on to balls thrown that would have changed so many games, and the QB turnover was sad to watch. RBs didn't play in 2 consecutive games. All of those things were oddly bad, all of those things have significant focus this year already.

Usually in statistics you throw out an outlier, look at typical BYU, I think UMass is a fairly solid win, USU will fight but I see that as a win also, Northern Illinois is at BYU and they won a lot of games last year but few of the wins are impressive - I'd say 3-0 on those teams.

• Sports Nutz Smithfield, UT
    May 30, 2018 6:19 p.m.

Willie Mays is still talked about as one of the best, if not the best baseball player of all-time. While Young was a great QB there isn't a sports fan who actually would vote Young over Mays. Instead of voting for a byu alum, vote for the best player next time. Pretty sad and yet predictable at the same time.

• gchris rock springs, wy
    May 30, 2018 6:03 p.m.

@Kimmy

Please tell me again who Big Brother is. It would have to be a school with a bigger enrollment, a bigger stadium, a bigger fan-base, a Heisman Trophy winner, a National Championship. It might be a P5 school, but it probably isn't your school.

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 30, 2018 5:46 p.m.

@London Josh

Here's what I see. The same as you for the first 5 games. (Cal game is a candidate for one of the three "swing" games.)
    I don't see how BYU doesn't defeat Hawaii and I would favor them over New Mexico State.
    I do not believe they will defeat Boise State in Boise nor Utah at RES(!) - 7 in a row and I believe Utah will have one of their best teams ever. That's 3-6.
    That leaves 3 games, that to me means Utah State, No. Illinois, and UMass are the 3 swing games. Utah State defeated BYU last year in Logan - this year it's at LES ( I give BYU a slight edge.) UMass defeated BYU last year at LES (!) and this year it's an away game. (They must be as bad as in the past as I saw a prediction they would win 4-5 games.) To me - a tossup. Finally, No. Illinois. They ended last year ranked 58th. They had a major loss when a linebacker transferred; however, I believe they have a lot of the team returning. Games at LES but I give them a slight edge. Summary: baring the annual upset you say BYU enjoys I think these three games should be great fun for cougar fans to watch. The outcome of which will determine bowl eligible or not.

PS - I've placed $0!

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    May 30, 2018 5:39 p.m.

@London_josh

"despite the results no true BYU fans thinks that's a loss."

And right there is the problem with you guys - you think with your hearts, not your brains. Best-case scenario for BYU-P in that game is that it's still an interesting game in the 4th quarter.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    May 30, 2018 5:05 p.m.

Remember watching Mays and Mantle as a little boy. Byu will win 4 games but who really cares anymore?

• CV Storm Hyrum, UT
    May 30, 2018 4:50 p.m.

london josh-I could about agree with your prediction, but the Cougs always choke one they should win. They will drop one to either Northern Illinois or Massachusetts, and they are going to take a tough loss to the Ags. So basically the Cougs will be 5-7.

• london_josh Lincoln, CA
    May 30, 2018 4:11 p.m.

Who am I,

What 3 games do you think are the swing games?

Should be pretty basic, you look at the first 5 games and aside from an upset it's basically 1-4 - not many games can go either way.

BTW - it's nice talking about football. I think Utah will have a good year in the PacS, I think they'll get 2nd place behind USC, however I worry about the durability of Huntley based on his playing style and the readiness of TTs plan without a dual threat who can win with his feet - if Huntley goes down early it could be a long season, however several PacS teams are rebuilding so I see Utah doing pretty well this year.

• london_josh Lincoln, CA
    May 30, 2018 3:58 p.m.

who am I,

Who is BYU? Really we don't know.

it's hard to imagine that BYU will lose as many as last year, most national numbers don't take into account that if BYU had all of last year's elements in place it probably would have been a 6-6 team rather than a 4-8 team because luck was ugly, so the ESPN FPI isn't adjusted until BYU does something to adjust it,

here are my guesses:

Arizona 33% chance of winning 0-1
    Cal 45% chance of winning 0-2
    Wisconsin 5% chance of winning 0-3
    McWhomever 99% chance of winning 1-3
    Washington 15% chance of winning 1-4
    Utah State 65% chance of winning 2-4
    Hawaii 90% chance of winning 3-4
    northern Illinois 70% chance of winning 4-4
    Boise 30% chance of winning 4-5
    UMass 60% chance of winning 5-5
    New Mexico State 85% chance of winning 6-5
    Utah 35% chance of wining -upset win 7-5

My final prediction needs an upset, i pick Utah because it's a historical close game and Utah historically isn't as good in November, and despite the results no true BYU fans thinks that's a loss. Overall I think BYU has an upset they pull this year. Zona, Cal, Boise and Utah could be the upset.

Predictions are bleak, so they should be better than expected.

• KimmyP Grantsville, UT
    May 30, 2018 3:53 p.m.

They got it right in Vegas. byu will go 5-7, but cougar fans count the annual loss to Big Brother as a moral victory, so it gives them the half game win. 😂

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 30, 2018 3:46 p.m.

Recently there was an article giving the expected win total for each of the PAC-12 teams by the Vegas oddsmakers. What I liked best was for each team they identified 3 opponents that were "swing" games. (Games that could go either way that could/would have great impact on the season for each team. For Utah it was the Stanford, USC, and Oregon games) It made me give a more critical look at the upcoming season and create greater interest for these particular games. (SBnation said the odds of Utah winning those games were 37%, 45%, and 51% respectively.) As cougar fans you might try this same approach. What three games, in your analysis, would effect your season record depending on their outcome? (I know which ones I would select and I will see how they play out.)

• Buster Gandy New Braunfels, TX
    May 30, 2018 3:32 p.m.

BYU should win about the same number of games as last season.
    The defense will be okay, but the offense has not improved.
    They don't have a great quarterback,
    no go-to running back, and no clutch wide receiver.
    You can't win without those three in place.
    I wish the outlook was brighter, but...

• london_josh Lincoln, CA
    May 30, 2018 2:08 p.m.

6-9 games are possible, I'd say 7 wins if we are improved, 6 if we're only a bit improved.

I don't see BYU wining 5 or less. At the same time 8 wins would be a thrilling season, no matter how much the team has improved I can't see more than 9.

So color me blue and paint a 7 on my prediction - and bring on September!

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    May 30, 2018 1:59 p.m.

byu will win all the games they win in 2018

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 30, 2018 1:29 p.m.

Love the sophistication of the coog fan who commented on the 5.5 game over/under in the linked story: "who ever picked winning half a game has half a brain."

You can't make this stuff up!

• Sanefan Wellsville, UT
    May 30, 2018 12:56 p.m.

The "say hey" kid will always be my favorite sports figure.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    May 30, 2018 12:46 p.m.

byu-p will win 4-5 games this yr, max, bank on it, period.

GO UTES!

• ND95CA Lincoln Park, IL
    May 30, 2018 10:50 a.m.

BYU will win 6-8 games in 2018.