A hero's welcome for Holts

Riverton man's 2-year imprisonment in Venezuela comes to end

• tototwo Montgomery Village, MD
    June 1, 2018 12:08 p.m.

Seems like a lot of people, especially Senator Corker and one of his staff have been working very hard on Holt's release. What specifically did Trump do to help in the process other than be the current president?

• New to Utah Provo, UT
    May 29, 2018 7:14 p.m.

Senator Corker really went the extra mile in a brief opening to secure their release. President Trump, Senator Hatch, Mia Love really extended themselves and deserve credit for a job well done.

• nu2ut Pleasant Grove, UT
    May 29, 2018 1:35 p.m.

Welcome home Josh. I can't comprehend what you must have gone through. So glad it finally came to an end.

Hey DN.. You may want to re-think the headline on the homepage: "After 678 Days of Prayer and Fasting"... seems like an impossibly long 'fast'. Is that an attempt to make it seem even more sensational?

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    May 29, 2018 11:52 a.m.

Please stop with the Hero part. Draped in an American flag on Memorial Day? I'm glad he's home, but what he did to get himself in that position was foolish, not heroic.

• Semi-PRO Brigham City, UT
    May 29, 2018 11:00 a.m.

From the photos it looks like Josh gained weight. I was expecting him to look a lot skinnier after reading the horror stories of him falling ill and being tortured in prison.

Glad he is home, prison in Venezuela is no fun.

• Nachtmerrie_in_Brugge Mesa, AZ
    May 29, 2018 9:35 a.m.

Welcome home, Josh & Thamy! What a great ending to a horrific ordeal. Meanwhile, thank you, Deseret News for getting it right. If I hear one more news report refer to Joshua Holt as a 'missionary'...ugh! Apparently news organizations outside Utah—New York, here in Arizona, everywhere—put 'Utah man' and 'foreign country' together and assume that Mr. Holt was in Venezuela as a Mormon missionary, as in the kind that wear white shirts and ties and nametags. Why do so many "journalists" make up their own facts?

• FT salt lake city, UT
    May 29, 2018 9:26 a.m.

Why is Josh a hero?

• Nathan Andelin West Jordan, UT
    May 29, 2018 8:06 a.m.

Sometimes hero welcomes, while emphasizing the positive and joking about the negative, belie the shock and trauma of the experience.

• Boyd in Provo , 00
    May 29, 2018 6:36 a.m.

I never had the privilege of meeting Josh Holt but I am very happy for the final outcome of this chapter in his life. To see Josh and his wife and daughter welcomed back home by so many of his family members and close friends has been very touching. None of us would have wanted this experience in our lives of what the Holts went through but he has stayed positive through it all. Everyone that took any part of getting them home, including prayers on his behalf, should feel very proud today of their efforts. Have a great life Holt family!

• imagion Draper, UT
    May 29, 2018 6:32 a.m.

Welcome home Josh and Thamy, I'm sure your children are thrilled to have their Mom and new Dad home, as well as your parents. I've heard much about Josh being in prison, however, have heard very little about Thamy as it seems she likewise in prison?

I went to Riverton last night to see the "preparations of love" the community had setup for the Holts. It was an honor to see the love Riverton has for the Holt family as well as the great leaders who assisted in their release: Rep. Mia Love and Sen. Orrin Hatch, , Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Illinois, Senate Foreign Relations Committee Chairman Bob Corker, R-Tenn, President Donald Trump. I'm sure there are others, I know there were many in Venezuela who realize that justice was being abused and reached out to help.

This is not the place you want to be in prison. I do however, commend those in the Venezuela government for seeing that justice was finally brought to Josh and his wife Thamy.

The one I'm neglecting is their, and our Father in Heaven. He heard the prayers from around the world. God is real, prayer works, we are not alone.

God Bless America

• Fullypresent Salt Lake City, UT
    May 28, 2018 10:37 p.m.

I want to see that kind of Congressional effort put into bringing home our 80,000 missing in action vets (MIA's) and that kind of welcome home for them for their service and ultimate, final sacrifice for their country.

Glad Josh/family made it back safely to his family. A great gift and blessing for them all.