BYU names first female dean of Marriott School of Business

• Howard Beal Provo, UT
    June 3, 2018 5:01 p.m.

When in the long history of BYU there has never been a woman in this position, yes it is news and yes it is relevant.

• bronco SPRINGVILLE, UT
    May 27, 2018 12:15 p.m.

As a graduate from the Marriott School of Business, I am very excited to see professor Brigitte C. Madrian as the new Dean. The Marriott School of Business was a great place for me to get my degree and have always been grateful to all the professors that helped me to get where I am at today. I know she will add more positive values to an already great school. It is very exciting for sure.

• Fallen Leaf Washington, DC
    May 24, 2018 3:50 p.m.

This is terrific and historic news. Congratulations to all involved. I think one day BYU will have a woman president! I truly believe that will happen.

• bass679 Novi, MI
    May 24, 2018 7:08 a.m.

@worf & Created Man
    It's trivia relevant to the position. Whether you care about it doesn't change it. It's also something to add detail into the headline to make it more eye catching, pretty standard when writing a headline. Same for a caption or an abstract actually. It just seems silly thing to get upset about.

• janjam Provo, UT
    May 23, 2018 6:41 p.m.

How cool for BYU! Love me some women in business. Great article!

• DonO Draper, UT
    May 23, 2018 4:21 p.m.

Excellent! Well done, BYU!

• Esquire Springville, UT
    May 23, 2018 2:13 p.m.

I don't know her, but she has a really great CV. Seems like a great hire.

• Created Man Gilbert, AZ
    May 23, 2018 2:10 p.m.

@bass679 --
    No, @worf is not doing that. It's a reference to the focus (read: headline) that the new dean is a female. As if that's the story.

• worf McAllen, TX
    May 23, 2018 2:06 p.m.

@bass679,

Race and gender are often mentioned in news articles.

IMO, this leads to much of the divisiveness is our nation.

Why did the gender of this new dean need to be mentioned? So what!

• Reality-Check Guy Orem, UT
    May 23, 2018 1:56 p.m.

Why is this even a news story? BYU has lots of college and department administrators, and she will hardly be the first woman to have an administrative job there.

• Hockey Fan Miles City, MT
    May 23, 2018 1:37 p.m.

Mentioning Dean Perry's paternity was an unfortunate occurrence of unnecessary association. The writer of this article should have learned that element of communication in a 100-level interpersonal or mass communication class. I'm sure Dean Perry has grown accustomed to living in his father's shadow, but can't we let him be who he is for what he has accomplished on his own merits?

• bass679 Novi, MI
    May 23, 2018 1:30 p.m.

@worf
    Are you really complaining that the LDS church's newspaper, in the Utah section, is writing an article about a new dean for a major school withing the LDS church's largest university which is also one of the largest in Utah?

That seems like pretty prime material for at least a brief story, I'm not sure how much more directed at the viewership of the you think it could get.

• worf McAllen, TX
    May 23, 2018 12:30 p.m.

No wonder discrimination exists. Media keeps mentioning nothings