FanX co-founder apologizes to Shannon Hale after sexual harassment controversy

• Schow01 Salt Lake City, UT
    May 23, 2018 9:47 p.m.

So tired, but not defeated! Carry on Ms. Hale!

• screenname Salt Lake City, UT
    May 23, 2018 12:28 p.m.

I think Hale's finally getting (and enjoying) a little snippet of mob power. She's mentioned on her blog that she was amazed by the twitter response to her story about an elementary school that only invited girls to hear her speak and how exhilarating it is to see people respond so passionately to something she cares about.

She is finding that she can now wield the club of public twitter shame and, like most people, finds she likes the taste of power. She says she doesn't want to see them fall, but at the same time won't accept their apology and demands yet more, but ambiguous, action from them.

• toshi1066 OGDEN, UT
    May 23, 2018 10:31 a.m.

Wow! It's almost like negative publicity works!

• LP Grad, BYU Alum Provo, UT
    May 23, 2018 10:31 a.m.

So Hale refuses to attend because the convention organizers won't publicly shame Evans? They already announced he was not attending, and the reason why is obvious. Why does Hale need them to publicly shame the other author? They already withdrew his invitation; that should be enough.

I agree with Hale that having daughters doesn't mean you're immune to bias. But I disagree with her in seeing sexism when none was shown nor intended. I appreciate FanX's candor in saying "nothing we could ever say will change your mind, so we're going to drop the issue and move on". There's nothing sexist about what they did or said when you consider the FULL BODY of the email. Context is everything, and Hale omitted it to serve her purposes when she publicly disclosed the line, "maybe you should sit this one out" with nothing else.

FanX erred when they released her unredacted email address. But to claim it was a bullying tactic is a stretch. How many times has Hale sent an email to the wrong person or neglected to omit something privileged? Everyone makes mistakes. Why not give FanX the benefit of the doubt before jumping to conclusions that only inflame tensions to serve your ends?

• I want a taco Springville, UT
    May 22, 2018 6:52 p.m.

Ban Hales and I will buy my first ticket ever.

• Susan Quinton Draper, UT
    May 22, 2018 6:07 p.m.

I’m a woman who is tired of this #metoo thing- blaming and shaming men. Sure, some men have done awful things, and many more men haven’t. Does Ms. Hale feel it’s more important to destroy this man than accept his sincere apology? I know, I know, it’s not PC or popular to think or say that, but I’m honest.