Cycling advocates say more Utah women should commute by bike

• Rustymommy Clovis, NM
    May 22, 2018 10:15 a.m.

Oh, come on!! How is this a gender discrimination issue? I'm a woman and I didn't want to stink at work. But neither did my guy friends. Seriously! It is a choice, not discrimination. I learned to ride a bike in the 1960s and have seldom felt pressured not to use it because I was a female. On the other hand, it is an established fact that women have more caution built into their brains than men and that doesn't level out until men are in their late 20's. So it is logical that women have a different perception of the risks involved. Good for them. They will be safer bikers. I'd like to see more women biking, but I don't think that something needs to get "fixed" to make biking more woman friendly. (Yup, I had other lady friends who biked and change clothes and did hair when they arrived). Women, just do it!! You don't want to be considered cheated. So just take the initiative if it is important to you.

• Teejjoy Syracuse, UT
    May 21, 2018 5:58 p.m.

I’m on the other end of this argument. I despise bicyclists on the roads. They blow through lights, cut in front of me, ride outside the lane (I know it’s thorny boo hoo), ride two or three across on two lane roads, and have even caused me to nearly hit a biker because they jetted out around another biker while I was towing a boat and nearly crashed into me! Bikers should not be on the roads above a 25 mph speed limit. If you can’t ride the limit and stay in your bike lane, stay off the road no matter what gender you are...

• Kimber7s Lindon, UT
    May 21, 2018 4:12 p.m.

I am a female cyclist who would LOVE to bike to work, but with no facilities to do hair and makeup, let alone shower or change, it's really not an option. It's really not about vanity, but about what is socially acceptable. I can't walk around the office and appear professional with wet hair, which is what happens when I sweat. If someone could figure out a product that would keep my head safe and my head dry when I ride, it would give me more options. Anyone?

• Itsme2 SLC, UT
    May 21, 2018 3:15 p.m.

I used to ride a bike to work until a bus ran a red light and almost hit me. I gave up riding on the road after that.

• Minker Provo, UT
    May 21, 2018 2:04 p.m.

I love this article, and I think the amount of sexist comments that have resulted from it serve as evidence that this is a problem. I have biked to work (and biked everywhere, it was my only form of transportation) in Provo for 5 years and I loved it. And no, my hair getting messed up did not stop me from biking........
    But I have often felt unsafe biking for other reasons- namely things like a lack of bicycle lanes, and not knowing enough about bike repairs. I love seeing all the classes, social rides, and programs geared towards women to empower them and give them a chance to continue to advance these skills.

• sashabill Morgan Hill, CA
    May 21, 2018 1:54 p.m.

Suppose we charge a fee (say, $20.00) for each time a man rides a city bike lane, or perhaps it could be based on distance like on the toll roads. We could then use the money to pay women to ride the same lanes. The greater distance a woman rides, the more she's paid. Fair enough?

• Ralph Salt Lake City, UT
    May 21, 2018 1:39 p.m.

worf:
    "Time for regulations to even out bike commuting. Discrimination?
    Why are women denied the right to ride bikes?
    Who sits around and think up these things?
    Sounds like more liberal rubbish!"

Sheesh, the snowflakes are out today! You'd better not get on a bike, you might melt.

• christoph Brigham City, UT
    May 21, 2018 12:15 p.m.

Everyone telling women what to do. Let freedom ring.

• illuminated Kansas City, MO
    May 21, 2018 12:02 p.m.

It's funny we never see articles advocating for the need for more women putting up power lines, roofing, or plumbing.

No, "equality" for women never include dirty, difficult, or dangerous jobs.

• worf McAllen, TX
    May 21, 2018 10:43 a.m.

Who sits around and think up these things?

Sounds like more liberal rubbish!

• Opinionated Sandy, UT
    May 21, 2018 10:40 a.m.

I have been a bike commuter for the last 12 years and 40,000 miles. As a bike commuter, you have to put up with a little "I don't care" in the way you are "put together" when at work. I'm not sure women have the ability to put up with the "I don't care factor" as well as men are.

• someguyaaron Parowan, UT
    May 21, 2018 10:28 a.m.

As a avid bicycle rider, I road my bicycle every day and on weekends, I would ride at least 50 miles. When I would ride long rides, the roads I normally take in the area where I live, Parowan, I always ride agains traffic! I am not saying it is the correct thing to do, but I could see the vehicles coming, I always wave and have never had a problem.
    It is so important, while riding to be aware of everything and everyone around you.
    It is very dangerous if you don’t watch every vehicle in front of you, shindig you, and all else.
    While riding in the city, it is essential to ride on proper side of the road.
    I would encourage all women to try to start riding a bicycle. Start out with small steps, maybe 10-15 minuets, no more. Most will want to ride longer, that is always where to problems start! Even with a short ride as mentioned above, YOUR BUTT will hurt. Go longer it will really hurt.
    If you start slow, you can get addicted.
    Great luck Ladies.

• someguyaaron Parowan, UT
    May 21, 2018 10:11 a.m.

It is time to pass a law, so that more women will RIDE BICYCLES!

• screenname Salt Lake City, UT
    May 21, 2018 10:11 a.m.

Better yet, Esquire, we could copy Seattle, which promised bike lanes in downtown Seattle for $860K per mile but ended up paying over $13M per mile instead! And did bicycle usage increase significantly due to this massive waste of money? Not noticably.

Look, I have commuted to work by bicycle for over 8 years, and here's the elephant in the room that no one (notably Ralph Becker, who wanted to spend big on bike lanes in SLC) here in Utah seems to want to address--I can only commute to work by bicycle for about 7 or 8 months of the year here. It gets too cold, too dark, and too snowy the rest of the year, and then I'm in my car like everyone else.

• Howard S. West Jordan, UT
    May 21, 2018 9:57 a.m.

As long as women insist on caring about hair and makeup they will not commute on bikes in the same numbers as men.

Women simply care more about their hair and makeup than they do the benefits of bike riding.

Sounds like we need a new law.

• sgallen Salt Lake City, UT
    May 21, 2018 9:17 a.m.

Great article! I bike commute and its one of the highlights of my life. My wife doesn't bike to work because she doesn't like to get sweaty, doesn't enjoy the challenge of biking uphill, and the reward isn't worth the effort in her mind. Like the article said, more butts in bikes is a good thing for everyone, though.

• cstott Orem, UT
    May 21, 2018 9:06 a.m.

Learn to wear a helmet and look out for cars. Learn which side of the street to be on and if necessary learn out to signal with your arm. Most bike repairs that anyone would do on the road can be done with usualy only one to 3 tools that can be easily carried on the bike. None of these requirements prohibit ANYONE other than limitations they put on themselves. Which begs the question? What on earth is this all about?

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    May 21, 2018 8:51 a.m.

Oh by the way, I'll bet if you checked, less women than men also ride motorcycles to work. Is that sexist also?

• Allen South Jordan, UT
    May 21, 2018 8:28 a.m.

Maybe women should go to eBikes since they aren't built with a lot of strength in their bodies.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    May 21, 2018 8:27 a.m.

From my discussions with women in my office, it seems that a big concern of theirs is the need to shower, put on makeup, and do their hair - once again - when they get to work. Men seem to just slap on some deodorant and get to work.

Not sure which is worse: Female vanity, or male hygiene.

• drich Green River, Utah
    May 21, 2018 8:22 a.m.

Very funny, the feminist movement has advanced in scouting and high school sports but not biking wow.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    May 21, 2018 8:16 a.m.

Better infrastructure will make cyclists feel safer. It creates a better community for all. Look at Houten, Netherlands. I would post a link, but I can't here. But The Guardian has a great article and video that shows what Houten did. It won't be replicated, but it might lead to better ideas. Communities are always enhanced when more people cycle.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    May 21, 2018 7:44 a.m.

And we care why?

• HSTucker Salt Lake City, UT
    May 21, 2018 7:24 a.m.

Hmmm, bikes apparently are tools of the patriarchy. Because what else, besides oppression, can possibly explain gender differences?

• Howard S. West Jordan, UT
    May 21, 2018 7:18 a.m.

This is news?

• worf McAllen, TX
    May 20, 2018 11:23 p.m.

Time for regulations to even out bike commuting. Discrimination?

Why are women denied the right to ride bikes?