Medical marijuana opponents sue Lt. Gov Cox's office

• MarilynnB Willits, CA
    May 24, 2018 12:55 a.m.

Regarding states' rights and the Constitution, I.M. Fletch made the most cogent statement here. I couldn't have said it any better.

As a card-carrying Latter-day Saint I am dismayed at the ignorance and bias expressed by many who have no understanding of the effects of cannabis. All the evidence indicates that medical marijuana has helped many people suffering pain and life threatening conditions, while there is zero evidence that crime and automobile accidents have risen in states where it is legalized (except perhaps for theft from dispensaries, but I doubt that it's any worse than theft from other retail establishments). I use non-psychoactive CBD for insomnia, and it has saved my health and sanity!

As for worrying that people will use marijuana for R&R... so what? It doesn't make its users any more violent than binging on sweets and it is certainly much safer than alcohol. I know many users of cannabis, including my own family members, teachers, medical personnel, business owners, et al, and they are not crazed drug addicts. Furthermore, it's nobody's business what they do in their lives!

• exegesis101 Ogden, UT
    May 21, 2018 7:48 a.m.

Legalized drug pushers, er I mean Multinational Pharmaceutical companies are protected by the FDA to prescribe billions of opiates to the public where according to the CDC center Drug Overdose data center records 42,416 deaths in 2016 and no legislation to protect its citizens, yet when a state where children are suffering debilitating epilepsy and others chronic pain seek scientific proven health from "medical marijuana " ,there is a outcry to silence those who suffer at the cost of biased, opinionated bodies who do not understand compassion or relief for their fellow citizens.

• Flipphone Sandy, UT
    May 20, 2018 1:54 p.m.

In ten years we will look back and see just how foolish it was to be against helping people with medical marijuana.

• Susan Quinton Draper, UT
    May 19, 2018 10:52 p.m.

Wow. Desperation. Let’s vote already, as the majority of common sense Utahns want this, and other states have led the way. If you want anecdotal evidence, plenty of our extended family in Denver are medical professionals (doctors, nurses, ER docs, etc) and they have seen more damage from alcohol and opioids than cannabis. Plus those of us here have been waiting for Utah to claim the benefits of cannabis instead of trying to stem the deaths and injuries from legal drugs. Follow the money...

• NoNamesAccepted St. George, UT
    May 19, 2018 7:32 p.m.

The federal government has passed laws banning all marijuana use. The federal government has also mandated that all States grant marriage benefits to homosexual couples.

I believe a State law alllowing the use of marijuana is as valid or invalid as would be a State law limiting marriage to complementary, conjugal couples.

Those most upset by this lawsuit would be the first and loudest to support the same suit, on the same federal supremacy argument if there were a citizen initiative to limit marriage to heterosexual coupes.

Please note, I have not offered in this comment any opinion on the benefits or risks of either legalized marijuana or marriage benefits for homosexual couples. I have simply observed that in both cases, federal supremacy is at play.

Those who support federal supremacy in one case, oppose it in another. Such inconsistency, such lack of foundational principle, is as much a problem in politics today as the lack of civility. Indeed, the lack of consistent principles is part of what prevents civil discourse.

• I.M. Fletch Salt Lake City, UT
    May 19, 2018 7:01 p.m.

@Palmetto Bug

"Until the federal government reclassifies the drug I don’t see how a state can pass laws opposing federal regulations."

Let me explain it to you.

The Federal Government is a creature of the States, not the other way around. The supreme law of the land, The Constitution, prohibits the Federal Government from legislating marijuana prohibition. Article 3 and the 10th Amendment make this abundantly clear. And lest the lawyers start saying up is down and black is white, we have not one, but two additional amendments (the 18th and the 21st), that show that this area of law is rightfully for the people of the State of Utah to decide.

• strom thurmond taylorsville, UT
    May 19, 2018 6:58 p.m.

I can’t wait to vote for this initiative.

• Cowboy Poet Vernal, UT
    May 19, 2018 5:11 p.m.

Don't tell me how innocent and harmless marijuana usage is!

Having become a convert in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints only a few months prior to entering the United Sates Army, I personally never partook of any of the illegal recreational drugs abundantly available.

During my years as a soldier in the United States Army, I witnessed the use of marijuana, opium, hashish, heroin, cocaine, and methamphetamine, and the violent criminal activity accompanying it.

In Germany, a soldier in my unit was castrated by fellow soldiers for being suspected of opposing the drug use.

In Viet Nam, I was frequently inundated in clouds of second hand marijuana smoke, and because of my outspoken opposition, there even was an attempt on my own life, using a hand grenade while I slept.

Heroin use was rampant, and I learned how to handle an overdose.

If you can believe it, this was in a war, where we were armed and we had to remain constantly alert, due to ongoing enemy activity, which greatly added to my constant fears.

I still wonder how I made it back alive?

In Korea, I even witnessed soldiers hooking their pet dogs on drugs!

• I want a taco Springville, UT
    May 19, 2018 3:59 p.m.

Frivolous lawsuits aside, I find the image selection divisive and a little ridiculous. I would love to see a lack of bias when I read these stories.

• Fitness Freak Salt Lake City, UT
    May 19, 2018 3:45 p.m.

Actually, there is NO law against voting on anything.

The problem comes if/when the new law is implemented, and the feds decided to "challenge" it.

Yes, due to the supremacy clause - the state WOULD lose.

But the challenge has to come from the the party "harmed" - in this case the federal govt. and the supremacy clause.

As far as I can tell, the folks trying to keep it off the ballot are NOT going to come up with enough SCIENTIFIC proof that all Utahns would be harmed, particularly if all they do is vote on it. There may very well be "harm" - but "potential" harm is hard to justify, much less quantify.

The weighty precedent that has already been set is that 29 states have already implemented pot, and haven't been "challenged" by the feds.

I personally couldn't care less which way the thing goes, but when I read these few specifics on the legal "challenge" - I can't imagine that they can/will prevail.

• sgallen Salt Lake City, UT
    May 19, 2018 3:17 p.m.

I don't know why people are ruled by fear

• procuradorfiscal Tooele, UT
    May 19, 2018 2:35 p.m.

Re: ". . . peddling disproved theories and unfounded guesses . . . is going too far."

You mean like the disproved theory that weed can be somehow "legalized" by a lawless election?

Funny how it's "going too far" when weed opponents -- particularly, the Church --demand compliance with the law, but it's somehow OK when venal, dishonest weed pushers conveniently gloss over the fact that weed is as illegal as it has ever been in those states foolish enough to enable and embrace the crime wave that naturally flows from weed "legalization."

Everyone knows this is an illegal scam, perpetrated by evil designs of conspiring men. It seems to infuriate weed pushers when we refuse to treat them as if they were honest people with a genuinely humane proposal, but the truth of the matter is they simply are not.

They are, rather, scammers, out to make a buck off society's most vulnerable and easily led, no matter how badly it affects the rest of us.

Here's hoping the SecState and courts have the integrity to comply with their oaths of office.

• Owl Salt Lake City, UT
    May 19, 2018 2:26 p.m.

Law suits - letting judges decide? Ballot box - letting citizens decide a medical science question? Until the medical use of cannabadiol (this lacks the psychotropic qualities of THC) or other cannabis derivatives is guided by verifiable evidence the issue will be political, not scientific.

• Palmetto Bug Columbia, SC
    May 19, 2018 1:57 p.m.

Evidence certainly suggests marijuana has medicinal properties but until the federal government reclassifies the drug I don’t see how a state can pass laws opposing federal regulations.

I also have big concerns with allowing lay voters power to legalize medical drugs, bypassing formal FDA approval. This sets a precedent that could be easily exploited. If citizens believe marijuana should be legalized for medical purposes we should pressure congress to change the federal law so the drug can go through the same process as other prescriptions.

Likewise, if citizens believe marijuana should be legalized for recreational use we should likewise pressure our representatives to change the law to allow such use (alcohol is far more dangerous and addictive than marijuana so there’s not much reason to allow one and not the other but I would be okay outlawing both, prohibition FTW).

• Jbejarano Eagle Mountain, UT
    May 19, 2018 1:29 p.m.

For those who haven't read the ballot initiative, there are some key points to remembers:
    1. Cities and other jurisdictions will not have the ability to not allow pot dispensaries in their neighborhood.
    2. The Ballot initiative does not collect sales tax. There are great costs with running such a program
    3. "Medical" Marijuana does not exist. It is simply adult use marijuana given to "patients" who only have to visit at "doctor" once. There is no follow up, and now prescription.

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    May 19, 2018 1:17 p.m.

@waterrocket;
    "That is simply a blatant lie! I don't know about all "29" states, but I do know that Colorado reported a sharp increase in both crime and automobile accidents after they legalized the use of marijuana for "recreational" use."

No, the lie is what you're spreading. Use Google. You'll find out that you're parroting CALM, which has been disproved by independent sources. But, go ahead and read the biased sources that support your position. Just don't state it as fact.

• shamrock Salt Lake City, UT
    May 19, 2018 1:12 p.m.

I'm skeptical of any group that says the voters have no business deciding on laws that control their lives. This initiative is about legalizing marijuana for medical uses. Millions of users and dozens of studies show that marijuana is far less problematical than many mainstream, perfectly legal drugs, probably including drugs that the plaintiffs and their families, like all Americans, have been routinely prescribed

If these plaintiffs and the LDS Church want to lobby to vote the initiative down, that's certainly their prerogative. But peddling disproved theories and unfounded guesses to keep this issue from the voters---that, to my mind, is going too far.

• kaysvillecougar KAYSVILLE, UT
    May 19, 2018 11:16 a.m.

Backers of the issue say this undermines their cause. Excellent. I applaud anyone who would undermine this terrible proposal. I wish the backers of this ballot initiative would be honest about their intentions, which is recreational marijuana. Many people who comment on these articles are arguing for recreational use. I think that's a terrible idea but at least they're being honest about their intentions. I would give it 3 years before marijuana gets reclassified as a schedule 2 drug by lawmakers. Once we have good, unbiased studies, then appropriate policy decisions can be made about medicinal purposes. Most people are in favor of that. The dishonest "medical marijuana" proposal is so fraught with problems that it will lead to recreational use and that's a bad thing. In fact, as a physician, under this proposal, I could "prescribe" this to 20% of my patients including little children if their parents give consent. You know. For "chronic pain" and "other rare diseases." I'd rather not be picking up the pieces for this social disaster for the next several decades because of a dishonest, poorly written, rushed through proposal.

• water rocket Magna, UT
    May 19, 2018 10:36 a.m.

I simply have to respond to Impartial7's comment. You say "29 states have legalized marijuana in some form or another. None of them have experienced any rise in crime or car accidents." That is simply a blatant lie! I don't know about all "29" states, but I do know that Colorado reported a sharp increase in both crime and automobile accidents after they legalized the use of marijuana for "recreational" use.

I there is a benefit for medical marijuana, then I see no problem, under a doctor's care, in fact, it may be far less harmful than the opiodes now in use. However, I don't believe that all 29 states that have made it legal did so for "recreational use. I rather suspect not. But your name calling of those who want to take a responsible approach to this sensitive issue is wrong, as are your assertions that legalizing this drug has had no effect on crime or car accidents.

• dordrecht Salt Lake City, UT
    May 19, 2018 10:30 a.m.

Those lawyers hell-bent on preventing legal marijuana use, should focus on the abuse of cell phones while driving. They may be in for a surprise!

• liberal larry Salt Lake City, UT
    May 19, 2018 9:29 a.m.

According to the Cato Institute, the effect of marijuana laws in Washington, and other states has been negligible!

A few years ago, gay marriage was supposed to spell the demise of Western civilization, and that has proven to be a real yawner!

Like it or not, the country is adoping "liberal" policies, while the GOP stands still, or in opposition!

• stevo123 Driggs, ID
    May 19, 2018 9:10 a.m.

This is more of an attack on Free Agency than an attack on marijuana.

• ConservativeCommonTater West Valley City, UT
    May 19, 2018 8:41 a.m.

One of the objections to medical or recreational weed from "the church" and by our "church" legislators is that there isn't enough medical research on weed to allow its use.

That hasn't stopped people commenting here from offering all kinds of "medical" objections to the use of weed. Which is it? Not enough research of accepting the "medical" advice of people who have never used weed? Ward house parking lot discussions don't count as research.

"Also named as plaintiffs in the suit are four men — Bruce Wooley, Walter Plumb, Arthur Brown and Bruce Rigby — who say they are grandparents who sued to prevent harm to Utahns, including their children and grandchildren."

Grandparents wanting to prevent "harm" to their children and grandchildren? What harm? They forgot to mention that. More people commenting about something they don't know about.

Members of Drug Safe Utah include the Utah Medical Association, Utah Eagle Forum, Sutherland Institute, Utah Prevention Coalition Association, the Utah Narcotics Officers Association, Utah Chiefs of Police, and others, according to court documents.

Let's just keep the legal and deadly prescribed OPIATES that kill over 300 people a year.

• UtahBlueDevil Alpine, UT
    May 19, 2018 7:57 a.m.

If potential mis-use is the bar that this group feels necessitates a "drug" from being banned in the state of Utah, are they also going to sue to have all the other drugs that are currently being abused deemed illegal as well - for consistency sake? If the threat the public might get addicted to a drug or medication is enough to have it banned, isn't there much more dangerous drugs that deserve "banning" way before marijuana?

I am not a marijuana supporter, don't use it, never have. But this irrational and highly emotionally driven argument is absurd at best. The fact that something could be abused out side of its legal intended use has never been the solid basis for banning anything.

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    May 19, 2018 7:53 a.m.

"If medical marijuana were legalized, the group claimed, it would harm Utah residents by raising crime rates, addiction and the risk of car accidents."

This lawsuit should be thrown out on this statement alone. 29 states have legalized marijuana in some form or another. None of them have experienced any rise in crime or car accidents that these right wing alarmists are pushing. But, what has happened is that people in pain have been getting the non addictive relief that helps them live a better life.

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    May 19, 2018 7:41 a.m.

The church has been a big opponent of medical marijuana. Could a reporter dig and find out if they have financially contributed to this court action?

• Red Smith American Fork, UT
    May 19, 2018 7:05 a.m.

In Illinois, they just passes a law legalizing Medical Weed to be dispensed in High Schools.

Perhaps Medical Weed will be "prescribed" in our State Prisons and jails to weed dealer inmates.

• Misseleer71 Salt Lake City, UT
    May 19, 2018 3:40 a.m.

I completely agree with the law suit as a criminal endeavor to poison the brains and minds of people who do not have the capacity to understand or make full agreement and concession to have this drug forced on them against their will.

No matter how you cook this drug its still kills the brain and destroys one cognitive functions and decisions. Smoking cigarettes is not harmful to the mind and body yet it has been criminalized out of fake reports and fake medical lies yet it is not legal to buy or purchase at a reasonable and taxation process for the benefit of everyone but the smokers themselves.

Medical reports are easy to fix and lie about and no one every challenges the validity and truths behind their claims. Dr Everett Coop lied to the country in the 1960's about tobacco and cancer, and diseases then fake test truth that it is all a hoax and still a hoax. We are in an opioid crises because doctors and lawyers and pharmaceutical company's are lying to us all the time and murdering sick and healthy patients and no accountability or even an investigation.

• sgallen Salt Lake City, UT
    May 18, 2018 11:40 p.m.

Why doesn't the deseret news offer a different point of view than what is said in the lawsuit?