McCain still up for a fight, even in illness

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    May 14, 2018 11:35 a.m.

My son was a Senate Page and found that McCain was only interested in one thing. How it would affect McCain. My son said that Senators have varying interactions with the Pages, mostly positive. He stated that whenever McCain interacted with them, it was always negative and McCain would go out of his way to basically tell the pages to leave him alone and not talk to him. My son described him as a "gumpy old man".

Since McCain is being deified by everyone, I won't join the club.

His military service cannot and shouldn't be discounted, especially his POW years. No one should have had to go through what he and his fellow POW's went through. For that part of their service, they are all heroes. Not just McCain.

But his time in Congress has been more of a self promotion tour. I cannot think of one important piece of legislation that he has sponsored other than McCain-Feinbgold. His McCain Feingold was nuked by the Supreme Court.

I feel he's been largely an obstructionist and I was particularly upset over his Gang of 8 behavior. Not so much over the gang of 14 however.

I did like McCain at one time but as I looked closer at him, it was about him.

• worf McAllen, TX
    May 14, 2018 10:17 a.m.

Time for Mr McCain to hang up the cleats.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    May 13, 2018 8:28 p.m.

I appreciate the humility and civility and service of Senator McCain. By no means could I say I always agree with him, but his positive qualities make him likable nonetheless.

• worf McAllen, TX
    May 13, 2018 12:42 p.m.

@LOU Montana,

Great hearing about keeping out negative remarks.

• casual observer Salt Lake City, UT
    May 13, 2018 7:52 a.m.

McCain's courage while a POW forever defines him as principled and resolute. One need not agree with him on every opinion to recognize him for putting integrity before partisanship. He will be missed.

• RC in WJ WEST JORDAN, UT
    May 12, 2018 1:51 p.m.

Well said David of Centerville and Lou Montana!

The likes of John McCain is the fabric which makes America Great.

The likes of Trump are a stain on that fabric but will be washed and flushed away, down the sewers from whence they came!

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    May 12, 2018 1:44 p.m.

John McCain is not a Republican. Nor a Democrat. He's an American. He's an American hero. He's a guy that does what's right-regardless of political factors. He had to choose a party, but he knew he didn't have to support party mistakes and wrong doings. America needs more McCains, regardless of party affiliation.

• David Centerville, UT
    May 12, 2018 11:24 a.m.

Once again Trump and his canal offend the intellect, the character and the morality of this nation by attacking one of its finest. Trump has enjoyed wealth and luxury his entire life, bullying and undermining others to get what he wants. Meanwhile McCain’s history includes being a POW and enduring unthinkable torture while serving his country. For Trump to speak of McCain’s sacrifice as being nothing is embarrassing, revealing Trump’s own nothingness.

Trump is an embarrassment. A small man. I reject him wholly and without reservation. I have no respect for the poor character of this man.

John McCain is a hero. There is a high place for the Maverik in American history, folklore, and the fiber of our country.

• LOU Montana Pueblo, CO
    May 12, 2018 9:39 a.m.

To all you haters of John McCain, please keep you negative comments to yourself.

McCain is one of America's finest!