The most popular baby names for 2017: There's a new top boy name, Melania is on the rise

• PhoenixAZ phoenix, AZ
    May 14, 2018 5:11 p.m.

People should think before they strap an unusual name onto a baby. I am a perfect case of that and have had trouble my whole life. I hate it and have always hated it. Just a tip here: Don't name your baby girl after a great great grandfather!

• ConservativeCommonTater West Valley City, UT
    May 12, 2018 10:15 a.m.

If you want to see a very funny, but true, YouTube video of popular Utah girls names, just google; "Utah Girls Names." It's hilarious.

• sashabill Morgan Hill, CA
    May 12, 2018 7:19 a.m.

Some names which have (thankfully) faded into oblivion: DeBoyd, DeVirl, Dermont, LaPriel, Feramorz.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    May 11, 2018 3:54 p.m.

Fad names seem to be declining everywhere except Utah. I wish parents in Utah would think about how they're harming these future adults by giving them these weird names.

I always looked at it this way: If the name you're considering were posted on an office door, would people walk in prepared to take that person seriously? If the door says Bronwyn or Stryker or something like that, the answer is no.

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    May 11, 2018 3:48 p.m.

I'm betting that we're not going to see many Ivanka's, Sarah's or Kellyanne's on the girls list.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    May 11, 2018 3:43 p.m.

The names listed here seem to be pretty straight forward. A bad name can haunt you later, I believe.
    Remember coming out of the eighties we had a crop of young ladies named Ashley, except many of them had just about every conceivable variation of spelling it. They shall be forever doomed to getting correspondence with their name spelled incorrectly on it.

• worf McAllen, TX
    May 11, 2018 2:23 p.m.

What happened to:

* Barbara
    * Debbie
    * Michael
    * Jeff
    * Pamela
    * Sharon
    * Diane

• Weston Jurney West Jordan, UT
    May 11, 2018 1:51 p.m.

On next year's list, should we be looking for "Stormy?"