In our opinion: Sorry Hallmark, Mom deserves a handwritten letter this year

• Really??? Kearns, UT
    May 13, 2018 9:51 a.m.

Now you tell me! I just wasted months gathering photos of my siblings and my mother and editing it into a video.

. . . the more you know.

• John Mabey Salt Lake City, UT
    May 13, 2018 8:15 a.m.

Excerpts of grandfather Walter Mabey's letter 100 years ago on WW1 battlefields. Hallmark can't touch this.
    France
    May 12, 1918
    Dear Mother,
    Although it has been only a day or two since I wrote you, I thought it best that I pen you a few lines tonight, today being Mother’s day...Of course we little realized it at the time or while we were close enough to receive their smiles and comforting words, but being once deprived of those blessings one begins to realize their value and the source from which they came. It is just like examining a painting at close sight, it doesn’t appear beautiful then, but stand off a little distance and its true character and outlines are blended very beautifully and the very spirit of the artist is brought to our view...What has been the most important factor in making our lives as good as they are?..our mother...Away as I am, nearly 7,000 miles from you, I can look back and see the wisdom in the teaching and advice you gave me...each mother at some time or another picks out a goal for her son...that of a clean, pure man. So here is the compelling force in my life, and to the best mother that ever lived, my thanks. Feeling fine,
    love to all--Walter

• Jvkswm Rochester, NY
    May 13, 2018 7:07 a.m.

Hand written letters and cards are not mutually exclusive, in most cards there is ample space to compose a nice letter.

• NeifyT Salt Lake City, UT
    May 12, 2018 3:03 p.m.

If you had ever seen my handwriting you would agree, that sending my mom a handwritten letter would be a punishment not a show of honor. I will stick with typing one... actually a phone call suffices.

• liberal larry Salt Lake City, UT
    May 12, 2018 10:42 a.m.

I like sending notes from Dad's old 1930's Underwood, The old fashioned fount, and uneven letters are very nice.

• Shaun Sandy, UT
    May 12, 2018 10:03 a.m.

I think a handshake is more than adequate.

• Y Ask Y Provo, UT
    May 11, 2018 8:19 p.m.

The thoughts are from me!
    _I_ googled it.
    _I_ copied and pasted it.
    _I_ emailed it and printed it.
    _I_ picked out the card from the rack in the store.

Hand-written is overrated and obsolete.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    May 11, 2018 11:43 a.m.

Mom, my wife, the kids, friends, whomever. I believe they all deserve handwritten cards, and insofar as possible that's what I do. If it's from me, I want it to be from me.