'I'll shut this circus down so fast': Chip Gaines responds to Utah-based writer's critical piece about 'Fixer Upper' couple

• glendamarie12 Leavenworth, KS
    Nov. 12, 2018 7:41 p.m.

I love their show & was sad to see it stop
    & then this am my daughter texted me that they were comin back to tv ,we’re both very happy. I think they’re a great family & do a great job both with family & there businesses which I believe they do for there family. They have great values plus & it’s a big plus,they’re positive Christians 🙂👍

• Sand_Weaver Riverton, UT
    May 4, 2018 11:37 a.m.

I loved this perspective and agreed completely with the point of the column: you really can't do all they do and still give your kids as much time as they deserve. Kids deserve to have as much time as possible with mom and dad and Joanna and Chip are more interested in their own ambitions than they are in spending more time with their kids it appears. I liked that someone called them out on it. It got me wondering about things in my own life..

• MoreMan San Diego, CA
    May 2, 2018 4:05 p.m.

"There’s a disconnect between what they say and what they do and I thought it was a valid point of view worth exploring,” he said in a statement to the Deseret News. “When you're in the public eye as much as they are, I believe they need to take responsibility for the ‘you can have it all’ lifestyle they convey to their millions of fans and would-be imitators. But that's just my opinion.”

Therein lies the rub. The DN is happy to post his opinion. Many members/authors/authorities have opinions of others when they should only be looking inward. IMHO

• JlLeFebre La Barge, WY
    May 1, 2018 5:27 p.m.

First off,Austin I'm really sorry that your self-esteem is so low that you felt the need to attack one of America's favorite families,,an maybe if you would talk to Mr. GAINS he might be able to offer some type of support or counseling for your problem.,,second,it's very unprofessional to attack someone who is doing very well an shares their family life with their fans,,maybe you should try to pay attention to their show instead of just attacking them!!!!!

• Denverite Centennial, CO
    May 1, 2018 8:30 a.m.

My wife has a friend who, years ago, spent time as a nanny for a large family whose father is now high up in the LDS church. The friend knew the mother relatively well, knew most of the kids at least a little bit (as she was concentrating on the youngest child), but hardly ever saw the father at all. The friend makes it sound like the father couldn't have picked the friend out of a lineup.

Leaving out the possibility that the nanny worked only during regular work hours and went home when the father came home, did that father have a lot of "family time" during that phase of his life ?

Many people, especially those who knew that family, would say "yes." Some might say "obviously not", if he barely knew the nanny his wife hired.

Based on this, and on the Gaines example, "family time" seems to have multiple meanings, based on the personal opinion/background of who's defining it. All of those meanings may be correct at different moments in time.

• Dmbblndng4 Akron, OH
    May 1, 2018 5:10 a.m.

I think all of these people just like to cause trouble, by lying about people that they don't know. I've watched their show and they do find time for their kids and their family as well. Just because they have a show doesn't mean that they are bad parents, there are alot of famous people out there that have kids and yes they spend time with their kids and their family. All these magizines that write crap about celeberties that stuff is fake it's not real. I hope this guy gets what's coming to him for portraing the Gaines as not thinking of their family as a whole they are human just like we are. I wish they didn't quit their show I just loved it.

• PacificCreek Puyallup, WA
    April 30, 2018 9:47 p.m.

I thought the author of this opinion piece sounded jealous. At the end of the Day I don't know the Gaines and neither does the Author. Just because they have a variety of business interests doesn't mean they sacrifice their children's well being to do so. The fact is we all have the same amount of time and we all use it differently. Some people get an amazing amount done in a day and others don't. Just because a family has its hands in several businesses doesn't make them bad or neglective parents. I'm guessing that the Gaines are able to outsource most of the day to day work and use their notoriety to promote their ventures. The 'New' show is simply airing content from previous renovations that was not shown. Hardly a drain on their time. Ultimately each family makes its decisions on how they want to parent and it isn't really our business.

• Jeannie H Smithfield, UT
    April 30, 2018 8:18 p.m.

First of all, Joann & Chip Gaine, you are well loved and respected for all that you do for your family, friends, community and many others that goes unnoticed. We appreciate you sharing your love & talents, helping each other to be a better person. Since the writer is not man enough to step up and apologize, I apologize on his behalf.

We all have opinions of our own. The writer should have wrote a piece as his opinion without using Gaines as an example. If the writer is simply going by the Gaines public life - what they decided to share - to come to this conclusion, he’s also insinuating the same for every entertainers on TV, Movies, sports players, etc. He’s assuming that when both parents work & keep a busy schedule, they must not have enough time with their kids. This is completely incorrect and a huge insult to every hard-working family in the world.

Please stick to what you know - just the facts - not what you THINK you know. Otherwise, it’s just gossip, right? If that’s what you wanna write about, maybe one of the tabloids have an opening for you.

In case this wasn’t clear, passing judgment on others is NOT in your job description, as a writer or any otherwise.

• Tumbleweed Centerville, UT
    April 30, 2018 7:48 p.m.

Bottom line - This couple is amazing all the way around. The show is entertaining, has just enough humor and Joanna Gaines' decorating talent is no less than awesome. If anyone can turn this attempt at bad publicity into gold, it will be this couple. If you haven't seen episodes portraying Joanna's design talent, you gotta see a few of them!

• Dk7399 Solon, OH
    April 30, 2018 7:31 p.m.

First of all, the kids go to school, right? So Mom and Dad have that time when they're gone, to work. Now, when I was a kid, both my parents worked, and it was no big deal. And if you watched the show, they stopped working when the kids came home from school, unless Jo was working on decorating a house, and then Chip would be there with the kids. Most people who own businesses have other people manage their businesses for them. Especially after they've (the businesses) have become established. So why pick on this family, unless your just envious.

• let's roll LEHI, UT
    April 30, 2018 6:53 p.m.

I believe the appropriate response from Mr. Austin would have been to say: l’m sorry.

Instead he chose to double down on his admittedly uninformed opinion, just digging himself a deeper hole.

Hopefully he will not choose to spend more time away from his family to try to defend the indefensible.

• delasalle Sandy, UT
    April 30, 2018 5:59 p.m.

I don't understand why the desnews is giving this "Utah based writer" all this publicity. This is clearly at an attention seeking article that is not based on any interaction with the Gaines' or their daily practice whatsoever. Aside from not having any real factual information on which to base his article, he makes all kinds of insinuations about what ideal parenting is or should be. Kids more than anything these days need good examples of hard work, whether that work is in the same house or outside all day, in addition to two parents in the household. The Gaines by all accounts are exemplary examples models of this and the suggestion that anyone who has success or works long hours (eg farmers, doctors, teachers and so forth) is neglecting their children is ridiculous. Please stop embarrassing the state of Utah and let this "author" flounder on his own.

• Rightasrain Heber City, UT
    April 30, 2018 5:56 p.m.

I know many couples who both choose to work at the expense of placing their young ones into day care, nanny car, go stay with grandma care and if you ask them they would also say that they were family first. They probably are.

My wife has chosen to stay home and forego a career to be at home and raise my children. Now that my kids are in high school she is moving forward to finish some degree work and substitutes at the local LDS seminary. She is truly an example. We have sacrificed many things so that she could stay home and our family is far from perfect but we work hard, we have made decisions for our family that we think are best and allow others to do the same. I have also saved money.

The Gaines family seems to be doing well. I am sure that Chip and Joanna have hired help so that they can be available to go to ball games and other events. I am sure it has not been easy for them but they are doing what they think is best for their family and I applaud them for it. Let's hope that we can all take an example and support how people choose to raise their families without incurring judgment.

• Bluebooks American Fork, UT
    April 30, 2018 5:12 p.m.

The Gaines family can likely hire out many of the tasks that eat away our time. It's likely they have help with farm management, house management and business management which would consequently leave a lot more time to spend with their family.

• DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 30, 2018 4:05 p.m.

I wonder if they guy writing for the make-believe newspaper USA Today ever met the Gaines family? Probably not.

I wonder if he bothered to read Chip and Jo Gaines' book "The Magnolia Story" to find out more about their marriage, family, work and business? Probably not.

We should remember that the Gaines family has already been criticized for being "too Christian" and therefore an undesirable influence on others. I get the feeling that this attack on their family life is just another attempt to denigrate what used to be the American ideal. A hard working, intact, heterosexual, entrepreneurial couple with a lovely family and multiple successful business interests. Even the fact that Mrs. Gaines is of Korean-American ancestry does not mitigate the left's dislike for this family so many others love and admire.

Why the Deseret News bothered to reprint something from the laughable USA Today is a mystery.