Microsoft exec raised in the slums of Philippines to lead Utah Valley University

• westwood Millbrae, CA
    May 3, 2018 11:48 p.m.

skeptic and John Pack Lambert,

It seems that both of you are bothered because the article does not state whether the new UVU president is LDS. I have a question for you. Why does it matter? UVU is a state school.

• ShelleyT Round Lake, IL
    May 3, 2018 1:34 p.m.

Astrid was my BYU Russian House roommate. Her personal story is inspirational. She was brilliant then, and admirable in every way. I'm so happy for her success. She'll be a wonderful asset to the UVU community.

• Howard Beal Provo, UT
    April 22, 2018 12:45 p.m.

Two doors down from me in my dorm my freshman year at BYU was a muslim student from Karachi, Pakistan. I also asked him why he came to BYU. Besides a solid program in which he was seeking study, his parents thought he would coming to a safe school, one with an honor code and of course for devout muslims, a stress on no alcohol being part of the honor code was also a strong consideration. Many students come from foreign countries to BYU for these particular reasons, even if they are not even LDS.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    April 21, 2018 10:17 p.m.

The Daily Herald article confirmed my early theory that Tuminez came to Utah in 1982 to study at BYU. Based on information in that article Tuminez is probably about 4 years older than Holland.

The causes of Tuminez choosing BYU to do her undergrad at are not any clearer after reading that article.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    April 21, 2018 10:09 p.m.

Considering that it appears that Tuminez came to the US on a student visa, at least her coming in 1982 and graduating as BYU valedictorian in 1986 would seem to point to that as being the trajectory she followed, her path to the US and cirizenship is one that remaons open and has reveived little resistence in the immigration debate.

There are big questions in my mind that remain unanswered in the article. The first is what factors caused her to first come to Utah Valley in 1982? There is a,broad number of possible answers to that question. How much of a person's private life should be published is a worthwhile question. I am normally for as much as possible and do not feel this article delved into the questions of Tuminez's connections to Utah Valley enough.

This seems in part based on not building the article enough on live communication and too much relying on things like her CV.

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    April 21, 2018 9:58 p.m.

@tenx;
    "@not very Impartial7. She is where she is at exactly because she came here the correct way, which is what Trump wants, and which most Americans want."

No, Trump doesn't want people from those blank countries (that the D-News won't allow). He wants immigrants from Norway and Sweden. Please, Google exactly what he stated.

• tenx Santa Clara, UT
    April 21, 2018 2:15 p.m.

@not very Impartial7. She is where she is at exactly because she came here the correct way, which is what Trump wants, and which most Americans want. Congrats to her from our family which includes 3 boys, all half Filipino. Viva LEGAL immigration.

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    April 21, 2018 1:36 p.m.

Congrats to UVU and kudos to Astrid, when she was presented as a candidate I was impressed with her vision and humility.

It is great to see someone whose whole life was changed by education be able to give back and continue that legacy. And, what a bonus that she is a minority female who rose from the poorest of slums to this position. Think of all the people she may yet inspire!

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    April 21, 2018 10:29 a.m.

"Tuminez was a first-generation college student, who along with her six siblings, was raised by their 15-year-old older sister after their mother left when she was 5. She emigrated to the United States in 1982 and later became a U.S. citizen."

The kind of major success story that couldn't happen today under Trump and the GOP.

• ExecutorIoh West Jordan, UT
    April 21, 2018 10:10 a.m.

While I applaud the challenges that she has overcome. None of those should have any bearing on whether she can accomplish the job she was hired for. If we are truly a color-blind inclusive community, which I hope we are, we should be celebrating more her educational and corporate accomplishments and less that she is a woman and from the Philippines raised in poverty. While I think more should be done to help minorities understand that they can have prominent roles, I hope that she wasn't hired solely for that purpose. She needs to be able to do the job or it does minorities no credit if she fails in her new role.

• skeptic Phoenix, AZ
    April 21, 2018 8:48 a.m.

An amazing life of struggle and success of a wonderful talented woman. Her live relates to the benefit of association with the Catholic Church’s and the Mormon BYU, but her story doesn’t say if either of the influences she accepted as her believe. Working in a high density Mormon town it will be influential to her continued success and happiness.

• samhill Salt Lake City, UT
    April 21, 2018 8:37 a.m.

"Tuminez noted that Elder Jeffrey R. Holland, of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles of the LDS Church, was president of BYU when she earned her bachelor's degree in 1986, graduating as valedictorian, according to her vitae."
    =========

She seems abundantly qualified, in every respect, for this position. Although, the paragraph quoted above was the first occasion I saw in the article that alludes to her attendance at BYU. It would seem to make good sense to feature that fact a bit earlier and more prominently in the article as, I'm sure, it played an important factor in her hiring. As it should.

• Wyomex Burlington, WY
    April 21, 2018 8:23 a.m.

Matt Holland leaves big shoes to fill.

Astrid Tuminez may need a size bigger.

UVU will be well served with this dynamic, articulate educator.

• DarthMaul Vernal, UT
    April 21, 2018 3:28 a.m.

All of the Candidates have impressive credentials but she sticks out in my book and apparently received the attention of not just the Regents but the pulse of the UVU Student Body. Looking forward to observing her plans and goal for UVU.

• Just saying 7 Indianapolis, IN
    April 21, 2018 2:12 a.m.

Congratulations, Astrid. Knew her from BYU days. She was very success oriented then too. Wish her well.

• Yes_I_Am South Jordan, UT
    April 20, 2018 8:53 p.m.

Astrid has impressive credentials, and she's a fellow BYU alum. I approve!

• It Begins In Utah Logan, UT
    April 20, 2018 7:05 p.m.

Wow, what a great surprise to see Astrid coming to Utah. We crossed paths a few times in Southeast Asia, and I enjoyed her innovative approach to educational programs.