Reverent silence marks the largest gathering ever of Mormon faithful in Thailand

• Dick Nanto CLIFTON, VA
    April 25, 2018 9:46 a.m.

It is amazing how much progress has been made by the Church in Thailand. I had the privilege of baptizing Jim McElwee in 1965 in Bangkok. We both were in the U.S. military. He was the first convert baptism in Thailand. Our little branch met in the living room of an U.S. AID family until we graduated to a Chinese restaurant. If our fast and testimony meeting went over time, the restaurant staff would come in and begin taking plates from the cabinets. Beside the open door to the restaurant (no air conditioning) was an outdoor faucet. Women would come to the faucet to wash their hair while we were having meetings. Eventually, the U.S. AID family baptized their maid. Our branch was small, but we had a lot of spirit.

• Cav Pilot St George, UT
    April 25, 2018 9:42 a.m.

3rd try....the 44k space includes not just the temple, but a chapel, apartments, offices and other space, much like the Hong Kong & Tokyo temples. The temple is maybe 1/4 of the total space.

but wouldn't it be awesome to serve there and to be able to think to yourself....I live in the House of the Lord.

• Yorkshire Logan, UT
    April 22, 2018 7:29 p.m.

Only 'odd and awkward' thing I can see is people who don't like the LDS Church keep reading articles about it-- and making disparaging comments.

Thanks for the articles and pictures of President Nelson's trip.

• ldsironrodder Mt Vernon, OH
    April 22, 2018 12:27 p.m.

Although I did not serve a mission for the Lord Jesus Christ in His church, I do have a love for the culture and dignity of our Asian Brothers and Sisters. On July 26, 1971, while serving in the US Army in Chu Lai, Vietnam, I was baptized in the South China Sea. My testimony of the Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ is always strengthened when I am blessed to realize just how much our Heavenly Father loves all of His children and He truly does know all of us individually.

• SuepTX Lewisville, TX
    April 22, 2018 9:15 a.m.

It was exciting for me to see that President Nelson visited the Saints in Thailand. We love the Thai people. They are so warm and loving. Our grandson is engaged to a beautiful, sweet Thai young woman who will arrive here next month on a fiancÉ visa. We have been to Thailand twice and have spent a lot of time with her and her family. Wonderful people with loving hearts. I believe the Church will grow more rapidly in Thailand once the temple is completed as Buddhists commonly attend their temples and it is important to them. Nothing like ours of course but I believe it will create a desire for many to know more about Jesus Christ and His True Church.

• Coyoteghost Saint George, UT
    April 22, 2018 8:21 a.m.

Neither "odd" nor "awkward". This trip furthers the calling of non-U.S. apostles to leadership in the L.D.S. church to what has become not a "Utah Church", nor a U.S. Church--but a "World-wide church", whose membership outside the U.S. is larger than those within!

As a young missionary for the Church in Uruguay in its early beginnings there, I share the pride of hundreds of thousands of such young men and women who have been instrumental in this--the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints becoming a World Church!

• Herbert Gravy Salinas, CA
    April 21, 2018 7:51 p.m.

@mighty

I am sure that someone on this thread would be happy to translate.

Not odd or awkward at all.

🤗

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    April 21, 2018 1:08 p.m.

I enjoyed the pictures and article, looking forward to visiting the Thailand temple. I have to admit a special fondness for Asian people as I served a mission in Hong Kong.

In my traveling experience people are the same everywhere, they care about family, friends and their country and what better way to enhance that than to bring it all together with Heavenly Father and his gospel!

• Elsleuith Eagle Mountain, UT
    April 21, 2018 12:36 p.m.

I can't read these articles without tears in my eyes. I served in the British South Mission in the mid 1960s and know what a visit from a prophet means to these people. Thank you for the photos. What a wonderful celebration of goodness.

• Third try screen name Mapleton, UT
    April 21, 2018 11:51 a.m.

A 44K sf temple. Make no small plans.

The small temples are around 16K. Boise is 36K.

But expanding up later is a difficult task. I suppose it makes sense.

• TaxpayerinUtah Utah, UT
    April 21, 2018 9:51 a.m.

Thank you for the articles chronicling President Nelson's travels. Those who have not been to the Far East won't really understand what is happening there. My wife and I served as senior missionaries in Cambodia and visited in Thailand (over 15 years ago). The temple in Bangkok will bless many thousands of people from all over Southeast Asia. We also served in Hong Kong and Mongolia, so the people there will be blessed by his visits also. Thank you again!!

• clasiklmuzikbiz Tulsa, OK
    April 21, 2018 9:04 a.m.

Thank you for the pictures and article. The pictures of the saints in Thailand are especially beautiful.

• Hemlock Salt Lake City, UT
    April 21, 2018 8:56 a.m.

"so odd... this is an awkward tour by Mormon church leadership."

Not a very generous critique of this event. By secular criteria it may be difficult for some to understand, but Pres. Nelson's visit has touched the heart of many people.

• MormonForever St George, UT
    April 21, 2018 8:32 a.m.

This has been so fun to read about President Nelson's travels. Thank you DN for the great articles.

• Little Andy Tremonton, UT
    April 21, 2018 8:27 a.m.

Couple of weeks ago they showed some pictures of the temple to be constructed. It is very tall and beautiful and it looks like it is sitting on a very small piece of land.

• mightymite , 00
    April 21, 2018 12:57 a.m.

so odd... this is an awkward tour by Mormon church leadership. Even the articles are hard to read and conprehend...