75 temples in 75 months: How consistent temple attendance has made a difference for one Utah couple

• rubbergoose Bountiful, UT
    April 22, 2018 1:41 a.m.

James D. My heart goes out to you. You deserve great blessings. As a disabled veteran I assume you participated in Iraq or Afghanistan which may not have been necessary. Good things are coming. Keep the faith.

• Sully57 Woods Cross, UT
    April 20, 2018 1:06 p.m.

Rhett and Jolene, what a great accomplishment! I read your article and I was very impressed. I served a mission in 1959, and at that time I always thought how much fun it would be to visit the then 13 temples in existence. You have far exceeded that! I have had the blessing and opportunity to serve in the Provo Temple and then the Bountiful Temple for 18 years. It has greatly blessed my life! One of the lessons I have learned over time is to go early to the temple, so that you have time to ponder the music in the chapel and the paintings hanging in the temple. That has greatly blessed my life. Keep up the good work! God bless!!

• James D. Scotland, 00
    April 20, 2018 5:17 a.m.

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to travel the world, never mind going to different temples on a whim! My wife and I struggle to get to the temple, if we are lucky, once every couple of years. With only two temples in my country, which are hundreds of miles away, it is extremely hard to attend having to live on a war pension as a disabled veteran and below the poverty line. I would love to be able to earn the money and be able to decide to take a trip like this, but I would not broadcast it all over the world.

I agree with the first comment on this article, that although this would have been a spiritual and family bonding experience for the Ogdens, I just wonder what help to the needy could have been given with the money used for this trip, and to then have it displayed for all to see is going to bring both pats on the back for the family, but also negative comments.

• Cinci Man FT MITCHELL, KY
    April 19, 2018 11:41 a.m.

@Kaydell

I have to wonder how many people could have been helped if the time you use to criticize others were spent in service to others. That must be a huge number.

• theOtter Cincinnati, OH
    April 19, 2018 8:50 a.m.

I hate to admit that my initial response was, “Must be nice to have the money to do that,” quickly followed by, “Must be nice to be healthy enough to do that.” While both of those still may be true, it sounds more like they’re mostly just willing to make sacrifices that I, myself, have never been willing to make. (Of course, living in Utah does make it a lot easier, but that’s besides the point; I could make the three-hour round trip to the nearest temple—or the four-hour round trip to my assigned temple—every month, if I really wanted to.)

The bottom line is that it’s very easy to criticize, but this family has done something amazing—much more amazing than I—and I honestly pray that their example can help those who, like I, haven’t done an endowment session in far too long.

God bless you, Ogden family!

• Nephiwon Crown Point Essex, NY
    April 18, 2018 3:27 p.m.

I am jealous of the these folks. What a wonderful story.

• hbeckett Colfax, CA
    April 18, 2018 12:59 p.m.

emagine the joy of the spirits who have been helped on the journey home

• Baccus0902 Leesburg, VA
    April 18, 2018 11:06 a.m.

I think all or most LDS at some point wishes to visit all the temples in the world. Of course from wishing something and doing something about it is different.

I am glad for the Ogden family and their experience. I am grateful they shared with us.

• bikeboy Boise, ID
    April 18, 2018 10:58 a.m.

Commendable! I've dreamed of "temple travel," and have even engaged in a bit of it, as a sometimes participant with the Temple Riders motorcycle enthusiast organization.

I'm confused, however. The map shows that they visited the Meridian, Idaho Temple in 2013, if I'm reading it correctly. However, that temple wasn't dedicated until fairly late last year - 2017. There's probably an explanation.

• NoNamesAccepted St. George, UT
    April 18, 2018 10:23 a.m.

@Kaydell: " I have to wonder how many people could have been helped if instead of attending 75 temples, that the money had been given to a homeless shelter to help the poor."

Someone once wondered how many poor could be fed if expensive oil had been sold rather than used to annoint the Savior.

If we had a story about a family sailing around the world, or visiting every Disney park and resort worldwide, or spending their summer vacations visiting every US State, would we have comments condemning those use of funds because they were not donated to the poor? Why is it that if someone's choice of travel or vacation includes a religious component, someone always feels compelled to question whether that someone should have instead given their money to the poor?

We have no idea how much--money or time--this couple donates to charity. And you've failed to tell us what wholesome recreation you've given up to help the poor. Yet you presume to ask judgemental questions about others' choice of wholesome recreation and worship?

I just don't think that is appropriate, necessary, nor what Jesus taught about righteous judgement.

• Kaydell Layton, UT
    April 18, 2018 9:39 a.m.

I feel that going to the temple is going to a place to learn and that being in the world is a place to do what is learned.

Jesus said to feed the hungry, shelter the homeless etc. I have to wonder how many people could have been helped if instead of attending 75 temples, that the money had been given to a homeless shelter to help the poor.

• Nofun Kennewick, WA
    April 18, 2018 9:28 a.m.

Fun project for them. Now they need to get to work and start going more than once a month to their local temple. The temple you attend doesn't matter, it's how often you go.

• Nan BW ELder, CO
    April 18, 2018 8:57 a.m.

Thank you, Rhett and Jolene Ogden for sharing your story. Thank you, Mr. Toone for telling about the experiences in such an interesting and inspiring way. Thank you DN for including great feature stories along with stories of sad reality, which have to be included too. This will be a great story to share in a class setting.