History made at LDS conference with new apostles, sustaining of church president

Elder Gong is church's first Asian American apostle; Elder Soares is church's first Latin American apostle

• lynnea1 JEFFERSON CITY, MO
    April 3, 2018 1:29 a.m.

I feel like the calling of the two new Apostles appears on the surface to be racially diverse because thats how the world views things these days. However, I believe it goes much deeper than that. It shows that the gospel is being heard in parts of the world that havent heard it in the past, and the peoples' needs in areas of the world previously not covered now need to be recognized and addressed. The gospel is going forth!

• skeptic Phoenix, AZ
    April 2, 2018 2:43 p.m.

It really seems like a lot to do about nothing. Where is the beef. Do only staunch Mormons get it. What does it all mean. Is it just window dressing or is it a heavenly message. What is the message, that Utah Mormons have discovered world diversity.

• Mainly Me Werribee, 00
    March 31, 2018 11:03 p.m.

Someone will have to explain to me the big deal about God, not the Church or Pres. Nelson, calling two non-white apostles. God is no respecter of persons and he will call the most qualified person whom he wants. Race or diversity has nothing to do with it.

• sashabill Morgan Hill, CA
    March 31, 2018 8:37 p.m.

Administrative and structural change, adaptation, and adjustment have pretty much been the order of the day in the Church since it was founded. Like many, I am excited by the calling of the two new apostles, reflecting the increasing diversity of the church. Their race or ethnicity, however, is not of primary significance. Their office, calling, witness, and ministry are, and will continue to be, what is of continuing importance.

• Steve C. Warren WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    March 31, 2018 7:51 p.m.

"Don’t be surprised if at times your personal views are not initially in harmony with the teachings of the Lord’s prophet," Elder Andersen said.

. . . which is fine, because sometimes the prophet's teachings are wrong.

• Forgiveness is the Answer St George, UT
    March 31, 2018 6:15 p.m.

While I recognize that many are inspired by the calling of (as I read) "non-white" Apostles that bring added "diversity" to the Twelve, I also note that its written that they were called by President Nelson. To me, this all seems the natural progression of the worldwide Church maturing, and I hesitate when I hear of these callings coming from the Prophet rather than from God. To me, these are all callings from God, and an extension of Elder Uchtdorf's calling from Europe a few years ago. Its wonderful to live in these times, and do our part.

• Furry1993 Ogden, UT
    March 31, 2018 5:47 p.m.

It was wonderful to listen to a General Conference where people with accents from all over the world spoke. We are truly a world-wide church, and this General Conference is proving it. Thank you, Heavenly Father.

• I M LDS 2 Provo, UT
    March 31, 2018 5:29 p.m.

All is indeed well in Zion...

?

• cstott Lehi, UT
    March 31, 2018 4:50 p.m.

I am glad that they are apostles but their race isn't important to me.

• AlanSutton Salt Lake City, UT
    March 31, 2018 1:26 p.m.

I'm a member of the LDS Church, and I have to say that during the Solemn Assembly, when members throughout the world stood and sustained President Nelson and other leaders, some in chapels and others, like myself, in their own homes, I felt at one with all members of the church throughout the world. It is a feeling I will never forget.

• sister GRASS VALLEY, CA
    March 31, 2018 12:43 p.m.

I am so grateful and humbled at the overwhelming Spirit during this morning Solemn Assembly. I began weeping at the opening prayer - When the 2 new Apostles were announced I said to a couple of friends "I can already hear the commentary!' Reading about their service the Holy Spirit said "I know who and why the Lord chose these servants".

• Boyd in Provo , 00
    March 31, 2018 12:04 p.m.

"Everything is as it should be." And the Gospel of Jesus Christ rolls forth...
    These two new Apostles will bring a great spirit to the church and we welcome them.

• MC Squared Plano, TX
    March 31, 2018 11:33 a.m.

What a glorious time in the history of the Church. I'm honored to have witnessed it as well as honoring and sustaining these two new special witnesses of Christ and President Russel M. Nelson as our new President and Prophet.

• Baxters24321 Denver, CO
    March 31, 2018 11:32 a.m.

Great summary! Posted amazingly fast. Thank you!

• StGeorge Washington, UT
    March 31, 2018 11:30 a.m.

We thank thee, O God, for a prophet
    To guide us in these latter days.
    We thank thee for sending the gospel
    To lighten our minds with its rays.
    We thank thee for every blessing
    Bestowed by thy bounteous hand.
    We feel it a pleasure to serve thee
    And love to obey thy command.

• pengpeiyi South Jordan, UT
    March 31, 2018 10:49 a.m.

Awesome choices. Very exciting.

• Katoonka Provo, UT
    March 31, 2018 10:29 a.m.

Wonderful!