Who is Tony Finau? Here's the story of his unlikely journey to golf's grandest stage

21 years after watching Tiger tame the Masters, former West High star gets his shot

• Red&black Salt Lake City, UT
    April 2, 2018 7:41 p.m.

I follow Tony's every shot each tournament on pgatour.com and cringe - as I'm sure he does - when he misses a putt of 7 feet or less. I agree Augusta National suits his game, but I really believe the most important shot requiring extra focus is the short putt. If 2 or even 1 short putt is missed it probably means not winning the tournament.

Here's hoping Tony makes every short putt and wins this week!!!

Tiger rarely if ever misses a short putt. You gotta like his style.

• Max-was-right Mapleton, UT
    April 1, 2018 1:13 p.m.

SIMPLICITY - Denver, CO
    March 31, 2018 8:45 p.m.
    Golf, a pure sport. Free of referees, judgment calls, bias, and fixes.

The Masters, the greatest sporting event in the world.

Go Tony!!!

judgment calls??? Hardly, ask DJ about judgement calls on a patch of sand they called a bunker.

• let's roll LEHI, UT
    April 1, 2018 10:12 a.m.

Godspeed to Tony and Gipper, on and off the course.

• ed in atl Duluth, GA
    April 1, 2018 9:58 a.m.

Tony good luck. I will be there on Sunday cheering you on. Ofa Atu!!

• xert Santa Monica, CA
    April 1, 2018 9:32 a.m.

Best of luck to him this week and I'll be rooting for Tony Finau---who is not just a "great role model for the Poly community" but is a great role model for any youngster who knows his name and hears his story. And maybe some of their parents as well.

• Curtaco Monroe, UT
    April 1, 2018 8:57 a.m.

Great story on the importance of a strong family unit. The neighborhood was tough, but the love inside their home was more powerful than drugs or gangs. Hard working parents taught their children to dream big, and then work hard. 1. Listen 2. Be serious 3. Don't quit. I think Tony is right, his dad is a genius, and his mom an inspiration. Good luck at the masters.

• mohokat Ogden, UT
    April 1, 2018 8:13 a.m.

Great article. Great Kid. Look for him every week on the leaderboard. Go Tony!

• golfrUte SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    April 1, 2018 8:10 a.m.

I've met Tony on two occasions and found him to be genuine, gracious and friendly.

I love to follow the PGA Tour and every week I pay close attention to Tony's results. This week will be especially fun to watch Tony at the Masters. Best wishes to Tony and his family.

• Million Riverton, UT
    April 1, 2018 7:50 a.m.

Always exciting to see Tony Finau play. He can blow you away pulling off incredible eagles. It was exciting to hear he is so well respected and humble while playing the game. A class act.

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    April 1, 2018 7:33 a.m.

So proud of this young man. Wishing him the very best in the Master's this year. Golf is truly the only sport that guarantees the best longevity of all the professional sports. Hope his younger brother makes it to the PGA sometime soon too. Such great role models for the poly community. Thanks for sharing.

• Louisiana Cougar Pineville, LA
    April 1, 2018 7:24 a.m.

I met Kelepi at the Utah High School championships at the Cottonwood Heights golf course when Gipper was just a Freshman -- and first round leader. I followed Tony when he shot a 62 and won the event!

I followed the young men as they played on The Big Break, with Tony taking second. I cheered on Gipper earlier this year in a qualifying round for the Web.com Tour here in Louisiana.

What a great story! And what a super family! God bless these young men!

• dreese Holladay, UT
    April 1, 2018 7:16 a.m.

Good luck Tony. All of Utah are pulling for you! Thanks for your great example and determination!

• Harrry G West Jordan, UT
    March 31, 2018 10:21 p.m.

Great article.

• SIMPLICITY Denver, CO
    March 31, 2018 8:45 p.m.

Golf, a pure sport. Free of referees, judgment calls, bias, and fixes.

The Masters, the greatest sporting event in the world.

Go Tony!!!