Making Easter more than eggs and asking the Bunny to come a different day

• dangby Layton, UT
    March 27, 2018 8:02 a.m.

We also have Bunny Day on Saturday. It has worked great for 20 years this year!

• NurseBecky Orem, UT
    March 27, 2018 7:43 a.m.

This article is comparing two religious holiday celebrations: one is the ancient pagan festival celebrating spring and the other the Christian celebration of Jesus’ resurrection. Asserting that the Christian holiday celebration is more important and should take precedence over the pagan tradition is unfair. You can celebrate both or none, but please do not disparage another person’s cherished traditions because they are not your own!

• Brent T. Aurora CO Aurora, CO
    March 26, 2018 9:08 p.m.

The "bunny thing" is for small children, who are not yet at the age of accountability. It's a innocent, naive, joyful thing for small children -- and Jesus loved (loves) children. It has always been my point of view that the Savior, and Heavenly Father, have no issue with Santa or the Easter Bunny (for children) but rather take some exception to accountable people, teens, adults who get wrapped in commercialism, fine (Easter) apparel and such.

Which isn't to disagree with asking the Easter Bunny to come on Saturday. Great idea. Between conference sessions this year.

In all the planning to celebrate the last week of the Savior's mortal life, don't lose sight of April 6th... which is His actual birthdate. This is what our family (now including our grandchildren) looks forward to each year (38 years) -- angel food cake, strawberries and whipped cream, singing happy birthday to Jesus and playing Christmas carols.

• CJay Logan, UT
    March 26, 2018 7:31 p.m.

We have been separating 'the bunny part' and Easter for 42 years in our family and with the neighborhood. We celebrate Spring with bunnies and egg hunting. This is our 33 year of a neighborhood "Spring Egg Hunt", which we can either celebrate the Saturday before or after the fist day of Spring...or any other week if the weather isn't yet Spring-like. (this year, because of the snow in Logan, it will be the Saturday that follows General Conference weekend.)
    I have always taught my children and now my grandchildren, that Easter is for Jesus. It allows us to make our Easter celebration what it should be. And that is a time to celebrate Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior.

• NB Cedar City, UT
    March 26, 2018 1:29 p.m.

I love your Easter week ideas. I think we'll try some. We have done the Santa Clause thing, but I could never bring myself to celebrate a bunny at Easter. We have baskets and candy - but I've never brought up a bunny. Instead I have a picture representing each day of the last week of Christ 's life, hanging by the dinner table. At dinner we discuss what happened on that day. By the end of the week each of us are ready and waiting for his resurrection. It's my favorite holiday.

• bass679 Novi, MI
    March 26, 2018 8:20 a.m.

This came up as a discussion between my wife and I. How to deal with the bunny... We're going with the Santa thing because while I'm not a fan of lying to the kid, Santa is a pretty ubiquitous part of the American childhood experience. And I feel when he's older we can explain, "well it's based on this person and is used as a representation of the spirit of the season."

I find it much harder to make that same rationalization for the bunny. We were kind of at an impasse on this. Maybe the ideas in this article will work as a compromise to sort of separate the bunny from Easter a bit.

• Danny Chipman Lehi, UT
    March 26, 2018 8:19 a.m.

We started doing the "fun", secular traditions on Saturday, too, last year, and it worked very well!

• Mom and Love It San Juan, UT
    March 25, 2018 12:03 p.m.

Thanks for sharing

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    March 25, 2018 11:55 a.m.

I figure if you can rationalise the whole egg/bunny/chocolate/easter thing, you can make it work on Sunday. Or any other day.

• I_believe Draper, UT
    March 25, 2018 11:20 a.m.

Thank you for a great reminder that Easter has greater meaning than a "bunny". My family likewise remembered the Easter Bunny on Saturday, and the true meaning of Easter, the Atonement and resurrection of Christ on Sunday.

I like your expanding Easter, to the entire last week of the Saviors life. The scriptures and activities are sure to instill the true meaning of this great time of year. Christ lives today, He overcame death. This gift will come to us all, overcoming mortal death and living again.

Thanks Heavenly Father, for preparing such a beautiful plan and providing it as a gift to all that would come to earth.