Mormon Mentions: LDS Living teaches 'what (and what not) to say' to single adults at church, BYU team to create Alexa socialbot

• Lilly Munster , 00
    March 26, 2018 10:47 a.m.

Another subtitle for this very interesting article:
    Another way we are losing our children through conformity.

• Mom of ten SANBORNTON, NH
    March 26, 2018 9:43 a.m.

I was single for most of my 20s. I realized most people who asked why I wasn't married yet were just trying to validate my awesomeness and share their confusion why some man did not notice this. Rather than get upset at their comments, I turned the conversation around as follows:

Them: Why arent you married yet?
    Me: ( said in seriousness) you didn't hear about my fiancee?
    Them: No! When did this happen.
    Me: He died in the War in Heaven. He never made it down!

This lightened up the subject and let them know I was just fine with my singleness without hurting anyone's feelings.

• Weston Jurney West Jordan, UT
    March 26, 2018 8:06 a.m.

I moved into a certain ward many years ago. Went into the building on a weeknight just to find out when Sunday meetings were. I happened to bump into the bishop. First thing he said to was his name. Second thing was that I should get married.

• Lilly Munster , 00
    March 26, 2018 4:24 a.m.

Almost all of us have suffered the sting and abuse from those who's lives are pre-dermined to be prolific child bearers. Our entire culture has that bias, and that eagerness to force people to conform. It is ALL about conformity. If you want to remain an individual, remind yourself that your life is your own. Not grandma's, who wants dozens of grandchildren, not your siblings, who value procreation over personal success and productivity. We don't live on a cattle ranch. Or do we?

• skeptic Phoenix, AZ
    March 25, 2018 12:51 p.m.

One is a whole number.

• toosmartforyou Kaysville, UT
    March 24, 2018 4:33 p.m.

When a person gets married, and to whom, is their business. Period. You probably were able to marry when you wanted so allow everyone else the same privilege. Talk about something you can actually do something about, like the weather......ha-ha.

• DrMAN Orem, UT
    March 24, 2018 3:25 p.m.

Instead of articles inferring what people should and shouldn't say to people, how about articles about how singles should and shouldn't respond to what is said to them by those who are paired? One cannot (or should not) attempt to control what others say or do (i.e., agency), but one absolutely can (and should) control what one says and does. As Elder Bednar counseled in 2006, choose not to take offense.

• Gildas LOGAN, UT
    March 24, 2018 9:49 a.m.

Having been through that phase of life and survived, I think that maybe there should be more discussions and talks with single adults on what to look for in a marriage partner. There are definitely those out there who want a rich hubby or prestige, or a career, or who have (honestly) put off marriage in favor of career development. I know whereof I speak, in one singles ward anyway, and I hope it has changed since. There were a surprising number who didn't want to have any children, and one who didn't want to marry at all but just socialize. There were also many sincere people I hasten to add.

I would also like to point out that, having once filled out a questionaire for an lds dating agency, there was lots of emphasis on what kind of car you drive, and suchlike. I found a wife anyway, without the 'lds' dating agency and just an ordinary, practical, kind of car. You can walk into the Celestial Kingdom, btw, with no vehicle at all. Millions have done it.

• I M LDS 2 Provo, UT
    March 24, 2018 8:57 a.m.

christoph -
    "Many tragic lives among the educated and wealthy in our nation. Ironic, they think they are successful"

What percent of Church leaders are "educated and wealthy" and are regarded as "successful"?

• christoph Brigham City, UT
    March 23, 2018 8:55 p.m.

April 2007 Ensign, says it best, on marriage article by member of Seventy, "For a man capable of marriage to put career over marriage, is a tragedy." Many tragic lives among the educated and wealthy in our nation. Ironic, they think they are successful.

• shamrock Salt Lake City, UT