Letter: The caucus system is working

• utahreader CENTERVILLE, UT
    March 25, 2018 12:05 p.m.

All we talked about was who was willing to go to the convention. Everyone had a conflict in their schedule. It was all about who could even attend, not issues or where people stand on things. People have busy lives and can't give up a whole Saturday on 1 month's notice. People had business trips, weddings, and so forth. It'd be easy for someone with a crazy political bent to have the nomination.

• ConservativeCommonTater West Valley City, UT
    March 25, 2018 10:15 a.m.

The caucus system is intended for a few to choose the person they want, not the person the voters may want.

This caucus system is intended to exclude people. Voting for someone should include anyone the voter wants to choose.

The anointment of an extremist seems to be the Utah way.

" Second, how do you feel about an increased gas tax to indirectly support education? "

This is just another way of getting others to pay for the ones that have a lot of children, for which they get exemptions. When are the people that use the system the most going to start paying as much as those that have few or non children?

• RanchHand Huntsville, UT
    March 25, 2018 8:38 a.m.

The caucus system is working ONLY if you think keeping candidate selection in the hands of a very few 'elites' is a good idea.

• cmsense Kaysville, UT
    March 24, 2018 5:56 p.m.

I noticed the same thing. The previous caucus meeting I attended a few years ago every potential delegate was strongly against a Primary or dual track. This time two potential delegates were strongly against CMV, the two highest vote getting delegates openly supported the dual track system. Glad to say our caucus meeting ranked both of the caucus system only delegate candidates at the bottom and they made it to alternate delegate, and the moderates won. I was pleasantly surprised.

That said, I don't know if I would say the caucus system is working. I would say that the people have got a taste of the dual track system, and they support the dual track or a primary.

The election of Curtis was huge. People don't want to go back to the few vetting candidates for the rest of us, especially in a state where, for good or bad, winning at the primary level in most precincts almost assures you of victory.

• kvs West Jordan, UT
    March 24, 2018 3:45 p.m.

Wow, Utafan60, did you notice that I'm on your side? My caucus experience this week was that all who expressed an opinion favored the dual path system that takes away the exclusive power from the conventions by allowing candidates to get onto the ballot by gathering signatures. When many expressed favor with the dual system created by SB54, we asked if anyone present would like to express why they favor the pure caucus/convention system. No one spoke. I conclude that either our entire precinct agreed with you, or any exceptions did not have the courage to speak. And all 6 of our elected delegates to the conventions favor the dual path system. I have no idea if any are LGBT or non-mormon, etc. (I hope so) attended, but they were all nice people and I didn't hear anything that sounded like Hannity. Inhale, exhale. Inhale, exhale. I used the term "vetting" in my letter because the right wing of my party has abused that term to consolidate their own power. Best wishes.

• Utefan60 Salt Lake City, UT
    March 24, 2018 12:36 p.m.

34 attendees at this caucus. Wow! That's that less than 100th of one percentage point of the whole voting population. That represents everyone? Hardly.

I'd like to know the percentage of older retired people? The percentage of people there who only listen to Fox News and Hannity? White people? How many were minorities? How many women? How many LBGTQ members of the Log Cabin Republicans? Moderate Republicans? Single parents? Mormons? Catholics? Atheists? Not a huge cross representation of voters in my opinion. More like the size of an auxiliary Church, or Eagle Forum meeting.

34 people isnt a very good representation of all voters. Many educated and honest voters have more information than those who have time to go to Caucus meetings. Many have jobs, families, Church duties and frankly real lives. But they also have access to information today like never before in the past. Their votes are as important as those who self righteously say that the caucus system "properly vetts canidates".

The supporters of the caucus system have lost the reality that they really don't know more than other people. In some ways they know less.