Throwback Thursday: LDS bride who planned wedding in five days

• Gildas LOGAN, UT
    April 17, 2018 7:39 a.m.

You need nothing but a license, not even a ring, to be married in many places, including this place. If you're sure, really sure, you made a good choice and want to start your married life with a surplus, not a discouraging , plague-ing, debt, just get married. I mean invite your parents and a few real friends, but you don't have to do the "Father Of The Bride" movie all over again. Generous and affluent parents might better spend of their surplus on a down payment on, or contribution to, a house for their daughter (or son).

Think about it anyway..... please!

• Nan BW ELder, CO
    April 16, 2018 7:53 p.m.

Our younger daughter had an engagement of a few months, temple marriage, simple reception and economical honeymoon. They have been married 25 years, I think, and have always had money for their needs though they kept on going to school for years. Our older daughter had equally simple and economical events, temple marriage and continued schooling, and they also have always had money for their needs. Our sons events were a bit pricier, but not extravagant, engagements were short and they too have always had money for their needs, and are still married. I think large, expensive elaborate events connected with marriage are a huge waste of money and not even a good way to start life together. A study to correlate cost of weddings with lasting quality of the marriages would be interesting, but a waste of money because we know that pricey events guarantee nothing but a lot of bills.

• Size12 South Jordan, UT
    April 16, 2018 5:49 p.m.

Our engagement was six weeks long. Both our mothers died young.

• toosmartforyou Kaysville, UT
    March 22, 2018 10:14 p.m.

I once told my late mother than a wedding could be pulled off easily in two weeks "if you could find an available reception hall." She shook her head and said you couldn't make the dresses in that short of a time and I replied "Buy them." Literally everything could be done, i told her, and she said "But it would be expensive." "I agree" was my reply, "but don't tell me it takes months to do it because IF the bride knows what she wants, and her mother will agree, two weeks is enough time." Of course every girl's dream is her wedding/reception and her mother's is the opportunity to see her little girl have the things she wanted but missed out on having at hers.

• NeifyT Salt Lake City, UT
    March 22, 2018 5:25 p.m.

@Anonymous100,

LOL, never saw that commercial but wanted to post something similar. I was wondering if they did a study on Las Vegas weddings; seems like the engagement for those are more like 5 hours.

My wife and I were formally engaged only about 9 months... but me from Utah, her from Illinois, the wedding in Illinois but us living in Utah. Wonder which way that would be counted on such a website as The Knot.

• Anonymous100 Anywhere, UT
    March 22, 2018 4:35 p.m.

There used to be a hot dog commercial where the bride and her mother are planning her wedding. The groom is sitting there just listening, not saying anything. The bride's father holds up a hot dog and beckons the groom to come in then he says something like, "Do you want my advice? Elope. Now. Today."