Mental health and the Latter-day Saints

• TP TWIN FALLS, ID
    March 29, 2018 3:51 p.m.

Good Article. Love reading about the stats in the church-especially when it comes to mental health. It lets us know we're not alone.

There is still a lot of misunderstanding regarding the meaning of the scripture: "Saved by Grace, after all we can do." So many people struggle with it-and it can definitely affect one's physical, mental and spiritual health-Positively or Negatively.

I think it was Elder Uchtdorf who clarified that it might be more clearly stated as "Saved by grace, after all-What more can we do? (paraphrased)

It is difficult to know when we've done "all we can do"... because we can always do better. I am a terrible judge when it comes to knowing if I've done all I can do. And then there's the confusion (cultural not doctrinal) with the difference between Salvation and Exaltation... which some of the above comments address in some detail. The Gospel may be clear but culturally, there are still many who struggle with it- across religions.

I have found this article by Elder Gerald Lund to be extremely helpful. It's really worth the read! It is found in the Ensign 1982/April and it's entitled "Salvation": by Grace or by Works. It can be found on lds.org.

• Karen R. Houston, TX
    March 27, 2018 8:22 p.m.

@ KevinSim

"But about a year ago it struck me that I personally have free will...So I've gone back to saying that I know there's a God again."

When I research the science on free will, the answer I find is that the jury is still out on that subject. We don't know for sure.

• KevinSim Springville, UT
    March 27, 2018 3:05 p.m.

TMESSENGER posted:

=If you have the wrong god all else does not matter
    =B R McConkie said in MD that there is no salvation in the worship of a false
    =god MD P-270

It is indeed important to make sure one is worshipping the real God.

=Where is the mormon god in the canonized mormon scriptures?
    =(The mormon god once a man from another earth, married? Becomes a god?)

Does God have to appear "in the canonized mormon scriptures" to be the real God?

• TMESSENGER Arcadia, CA
    March 27, 2018 9:20 a.m.

If you have the wrong god all else does not matter
    B R McConkie said in MD that there is no salvation in the worship of a false god MD P-270
    Where is the mormon god in the canonized mormon scriptures?
    (The mormon god once a man from another earth, married? Becomes a god?)

• Lilly Munster , 00
    March 26, 2018 7:59 p.m.

A degree in Theology (not Doctrine, Theology) which includes a comprehensive knowledge of the history, development and linear evolution of religion(s) shows, without conflict, contradiction, or evasion: that all the world's religions are on a continuum. There is almost nothing original in any of them. They evolved, in every sense of that fear-inducing word. How is it, then, that any religion can claim inerrant revelation, originality, or even.....facts? Belief is simply that...where science, history, reason and evidence is absent.

• KevinSim Springville, UT
    March 26, 2018 3:14 p.m.

Moresureword posted:

=Many churches named themselves after Christ, but none bases their message
    =solely on the Lord's True Gospel, found in his simple message of the Sermon on
    =the Mount.

That might very possibly be true Moresureword, but to be perfectly honest I'm not really interested in a church that would base its message solely on the simple message of the Sermon on the Mount; instead I want a church that God has chosen to take His message to the world. That is the LDS Church.

• KevinSim Springville, UT
    March 26, 2018 3:08 p.m.

[continued from above]

But about a year ago it struck me that I personally have free will, and it also struck me that my free will, my non-determinism, simply could not have been produced by a deterministic universe. Where would the non-determinism have come from? I concluded that a being with free will must have existed since the time of the Big Bang. That being is for me God. So I've gone back to saying that I know there's a God again. And I have no less confidence of the truth of that assertion than I have in the veracity of any mathematical theorem.

• KevinSim Springville, UT
    March 26, 2018 3:07 p.m.

Karen R. posted:

=I think you have that exactly backwards, Pops. It's in religion that followers
    =are taught to testify that they "know" their god exists and/or that their
    =religion is true. For example, in LDS circles, which is the stronger testimony:
    ="I believe the church is true" or "I know the church is true?"
    =
    =In science, on the other hand, conclusions reached are discussed in terms of
    =degrees of confidence.

I grew up in the LDS Church amid people who said they knew the LDS Church is true, and from a fairly early age I started bearing my testimony that I knew the Church is true, with all the rest of them. Then about six or seven years ago I started being more careful about what I said, and I stopped saying I knew there was a God. I believed there was a God, and said so, and I was completely confident that if there was a God, then the LDS Church was true.

[continued below]

• Lilly Munster , 00
    March 26, 2018 10:53 a.m.

We must include this in this discussion of mental health and religion, because there are facts to recognize: Utah and Idaho have some of our Nation's highest teen suicide rates. Almost all are related to bullying in schools.
    That is a life and death issue that must be addrssed honestly.

• Yar Springville, UT
    March 26, 2018 9:56 a.m.

The only ones who are mentally ill are those who wish religion didn’t exist (or those who wish atheism or agnosticism didn’t exist for that matter). At the end of the day, there’s no such thing as addiction to religion or atheism. It’s a myth falsely spread by those hostile to one or the other. Both sides of the coin are equally healthy.

• sharrona layton, UT
    March 26, 2018 8:43 a.m.

RE: Karen R. The Christian faith and Reason.

(Amos 3:7). “He would do nothing without first revealing it to His servants, the prophets.” From Genesis to Revelation, God’s plan for mankind ‘is outlined for us in the Jewish feasts of Lev 23.

The seven annual feasts of Israel were spread over seven months of the Jewish calendar, at set times appointed by God,celebrated by observant Jews today. But for both Jews and non-Jews who have placed their faith in Jesus, the Jewish Messiah, these special days demonstrate the work of redemption(From Adams fall) through God’s Son.

The first 4 of the 7 feasts occur during the springtime (Passover, Unleavened Bread, First Fruits, and Festival of Weeks, and they all have already been fulfilled by Christ in the N. T. The final three holidays (Trumpets, the Day of Atonement, and Tabernacles) occur during the fall..
    E.g…, 1) Passover (Lev 23:5) – Pointed to the Messiah(Jesus) as our Passover lamb (1 Cor 5:7) whose blood would be shed for our sins.

Jesus was crucified on the day of preparation for the Passover at the same hour that the lambs were being slaughtered for the Passover meal that evening (John 19:14).

• Karen R. Houston, TX
    March 26, 2018 7:14 a.m.

@ Pops

"Most adherents of the religion of scientism gloss over the hard truth that we, as humans, have no alternative to belief."

I think you have that exactly backwards, Pops. It's in religion that followers are taught to testify that they "know" their god exists and/or that their religion is true. For example, in LDS circles, which is the stronger testimony: "I believe the church is true" or "I know the church is true?"

In science, on the other hand, conclusions reached are discussed in terms of degrees of confidence.

• rexwhitmer ELFRIDA, AZ
    March 24, 2018 1:05 p.m.

Reading these comments has been interesting, very interesting. I seldom criticize anyone's personal beliefs. I accept them though they may counter my own. If I discuss religion, I do it with two goals in mind. First to share the joy I have in my personal knowledge of the truth I know of quite certainly. Secondly to hear my conversant's beliefs, and compare them with my own, not to criticize, but to analyze. Then I question his or her experience in my mind. What I say next will depend upon my analysis. It never does a conversation any good to criticize another person's beliefs, but if I can tell him of my experiences, then he can question me, giving me a chance to explain my beliefs. I have had and hold dear many experiences relating to my beliefs. Likely so may my conversant, so we discuss. I never tell him or her that their belief is wrong, because to them they may be sacred. Nor do I allow their feelings to become a barrier between us. Most usually there develops a bond of openness and our friendship continues much to my joy!

• Pops NORTH SALT LAKE, UT
    March 24, 2018 10:28 a.m.

Most adherents of the religion of scientism gloss over the hard truth that we, as humans, have no alternative to belief. There is no "know", only varying degrees of belief. Why? because all human experience is subjective; not one iota of it is objective.

We tend to claim objective truth has been discovered when our subjective experiences and observations agree and can be shared. I measure g as 32.2 ft/sec/sec, you measure g as 9.8 m/sec/sec, and so it becomes scientific "knowledge". I experience a manifestation of God's love, you experience a manifestation of God's love, but that is somehow different?

I suspect the reason for the dichotomy is that in dealing with God, we are dealing with a superior who has a will, rather than an inferior; we are dealing with one who cannot be commanded and manipulated. But billions of human beings have experienced God at some level, and yet the self-proclaimed enlightened ones among us tell us those experiences are less real than other experiences - or not real at all - when in many cases they are more real.

The assertion that those who believe in God are irrational is itself ironically irrational.

• sharrona layton, UT
    March 24, 2018 10:20 a.m.

Thid Barker .”the effects of irreligion and criminal behavior,”

The Return of Religion After Mao to China now," Crackdown on Christians There are an estimated 72 to 92 million Christians in China, the second largest faith group behind Chinese Buddhists.

This leaves them vulnerable to oppression and abuse. In Zhejiang province alone, the group has documented the forced demolition of more than 20 Protestant and Catholic churches, and the removal of more than 1,000 crosses in recent years.

Hundreds of Christians have also been detained or arrested attempting to resist those demolitions, As the larger of the Christian denominations in China, Protestants had been "particularly affected by cross-removal and church-demolition campaigns, punishment of state-sanctioned leaders, and the arrest of human rights lawyers who take up Christians' cases." China Aid

• Thid Barker Victor, ID
    March 24, 2018 7:48 a.m.

Excellent article Dr. Peterson. Thank you for writing it! It would be interesting to do some research into the effects of irreligion and criminal behavior, i.e. the social costs of "freedom from religion"! A survey of incarcerated people's religious beliefs, if any, would be very instructional.

• Karen R. Houston, TX
    March 23, 2018 9:03 a.m.

@ Tyler D.

"Is that page correct (since the article starts on page 325 in the Journal)?"

Thanks for the heads up on the typo, Tyler D. The referenced paragraph is on p. 345, 2nd column, 2nd full paragraph (under the section titled, "Trajectory of the Intelligence-Religiosity Connection.")

• moresureword Maple Grove, MN
    March 23, 2018 8:50 a.m.

"Daniel Judd ... says in 'The Relationship between Religion, Mental Health, and the Latter-day Saints,' [that] the larger body of academic research supports the conclusion that religious belief, and most especially personal religious devotion, facilitates mental health, marital cohesion, and family stability.'"

If I may offer a counterpoint:

Religion and acts done in the name of God have produced war, hatred, and division among the members of the human race. As the young prophet Joseph Smith reported, after asking the angel Moroni which church or religion he should join:

"I was answered that I must join none of them, for they were all wrong; and the Personage who addressed me said that all their creeds were an abomination in his sight; that those professors were all corrupt; that: “they draw near to me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me, they teach for doctrines the commandments of men, having a form of godliness, but they deny the power thereof.” (Joseph Smith History 1:19.)

Many churches named themselves after Christ, but none bases their message solely on the Lord's True Gospel, found in his simple message of the Sermon on the Mount.

• Tyler D Prescott, AZ
    March 23, 2018 8:35 a.m.

@Karen R. – “I was struck by a paragraph on p. 245 that, in a few succinct sentences, laid out the research results that strongly suggest why belief isn't justified.”

Is that page correct (since the article starts on page 325 in the Journal)?

@Michael_M – Scottsbluff – “Allow me to express my viewpoint without trying to preach to me and/or contend with me.”

"Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense." - Chapman Cohen

Given that fact, tolerance is really out of the question. Religion has far too much invested to put up with your “whiff of common sense.”

• CMTM , 00
    March 23, 2018 8:07 a.m.

RE: NoNamesAccepted. “.. sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you,..(1 Peter 3:15 NASB)

James agrees with Jesus in (Luke 6:43-44 NLT), A good tree can't produce bad fruit, and a bad tree can't produce good fruit. A tree is identified by its fruit..”

If a person says he has faith, but he gives no outward evidence of that faith through righteous works, his faith will not justify him. True faith will absolutely and necessarily show fruits of obedience and the works of righteousness.

James is not saying, a man is justified before God by his works, but that his claim to faith is shown to be genuine as he demonstrates the evidence of that claim of faith through his works.

RE:“ …contend for the faith that was once=(G 530 hapax/ one time) for all entrusted to God's holy people”(Jude :3)

E.g. ”continuing revelation” ? ”Abraham received concubines, and they bore him children; and it was accounted unto him for righteousness (D&C 132:37)VS, Gal 3:6) Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.

@Check the Nicene creed with scripture references

• Karen R. Houston, TX
    March 23, 2018 6:20 a.m.

@ sgallen

Thanks for the reference to the study. Very interesting read. I was struck by a paragraph on p. 245 that, in a few succinct sentences, laid out the research results that strongly suggest why belief isn't justified.

Also an interesting possibility: that the benefits of intelligence fulfill the same needs met by religiosity.

@ mhenshaw, re: beliefs interfering with reality...

The study that sgallen cited also discusses research suggesting an even stronger negative relationship between intelligence and fundamentalist forms of religion. One suspected reason is that these forms of religiosity tend to restrict access to information, thus interfering with the exercise/development of one's intelligence. IMO that supports Michael_M's position.

• mike_m Scottsbluff, NE
    March 23, 2018 1:15 a.m.

@Anaximander
    You seem to be taking/making this personal. There is no need for that. My posting history shows a consistent statement, that Moroni's promise should be enough and there is no need for outrageous claims of physical or scientific evidence that are unsupportable and such things can actually weaken and destroy faith. As for me, throwing off fantasy and facing reality was the best thing for myself. The claim made in this article that religion is associated with mental health does not fit everyone. Many members and veterans of the US armed forces have found that substituting religion for professional mental health care was detrimental to their mental health. Contrary to the words of a previous LDS prophet, there are atheists in fox holes.

• Pavlovsdog American Fork, UT
    March 22, 2018 11:14 p.m.

I'm confused. Many reports claim Utah has the highest rates of mental illness in the U.S. Here's one of many.

Mar.9, 2014. Provo Daily Herald. Article by Barbara Christansen. "Utah has highest rate of mental illness in country".

• Anaximander South Ogden, UT
    March 22, 2018 6:35 p.m.

"You should follow your own prescription and stop picking a fight. Allow me to express my viewpoint without trying to preach to me and/or contend with me."

That is rich. Make provocative statements and expect pushback.
    Considering your posting history of constantly beating the drum against religion you might want to take heed to you own advice against "contending" and "preaching" on these message boards.

• NoNamesAccepted St. George, UT
    March 22, 2018 5:52 p.m.

This article highlights one of the reasons many of us are so vigorously opposed to making mental health professional the gatekeepers of any fundamental, enumerated right.

While mental health professionals can offer great help to those who need it, we are reminded that the entire field of study is rife with institutional bias against what a majority of humanity considers to be a core part of their being: Their religious or spiritual beliefs.

If someone can consider that ~90% of the world's population is mentally unhealthy, or at least suspect for a belief in some kind of supernatural deity or power, then we ought to be very careful about giving them any power over exercise of fundamental rights.

For some reason, there seems to be a strong correlation between atheism and opposition to private ownership of firearms. An entire industry that institutionally questions my sanity simply for believing in God, will have a large number of practitioners who are firmly convinced that any desire to own, much less to carry guns, is a sure sign of the kind of mental illness that must preclude me from ever having a gun.

Only those who don't want a gun would be fit to carry them.

• NoNamesAccepted St. George, UT
    March 22, 2018 5:23 p.m.

@CMTM: "Mormonism is use or mis understand James they confuse Justification=(Salvation) with Santificatioon=(Holiness). "

That is a fine belief. But I don't see where it is mandated in the clear text of James. Nor do I believe that God requires us to be studied in multiple ancient languages in order to understand His word well enough to know His will, to access His Grace, and to be saved.

I've posted my beliefs about why the BoM / LDS beliefs regarding Grace, Faith, and Works are consistent with a completely honest reading of the Bible. I accept that you have a different understanding. I suspect much of your understanding comes from post- and extra-Biblical creeds which as an LDS I freely admit to not accepting as proper doctrine.

Whereas you understand the Bible in context of these creeds, I understand the Bible in context of continuing revelation through living prophets, and extra-Biblical scriptures including the BoM.

You frequently cross the line from sharing your beliefs, to attacking mine.

I think it presumptuous for you or anyone to tell the Shepherd who is or isn't part of His fold. Stop trying to prove LDS wrong. Share your beliefs with respect for others'.

• Michael_M Scottsbluff, NE
    March 22, 2018 5:01 p.m.

@mhenshaw
    Beliefs can very much so interfere with reality as I learned through my own hard experience concerning the historicity of the Book of Mormon. You should follow your own prescription and stop picking a fight. Allow me to express my viewpoint without trying to preach to me and/or contend with me.

• mhenshaw Leesburg, VA
    March 22, 2018 4:40 p.m.

>>I was referring to when one's own beliefs are interfering with reality.

Beliefs don't "interfere" with reality; they can only conflict with it.

We all have beliefs that conflict with reality. So personal peace comes from focusing on improving ourselves and not spending our time pointing out where we think others are wrong. As one Great Philosopher put it, "why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother’s eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?"

That doesn't mean we should share what we believe to be true. It does mean that we go too far when we criticize others for believing something different from what we believe.

• christoph Brigham City, UT
    March 22, 2018 4:39 p.m.

Jacob in Book of Mormon uses word 'anxiety' around 3 times to describe himself. Matthew 8:17 says the Lord can take our sickness upon him. Many think the Book of Mormon only teaches this, yet in the Bible too. And Peter and Paul say the Lord's sufferings will come upon us all, see 2 Cor. 1 and 1 Peter 4. Yet a healthy mind, not only can show empathy for others, the same mind can rebound and heal and move on very quickly, to offense and opposition.

• CMTM , 00
    March 22, 2018 4:16 p.m.

RE: NoNamesAccepted . Mormonism is use or mis understand James they confuse Justification=(Salvation) with Santificatioon=(Holiness).

Justification (salvation)precedes sanctification: justification is instantaneous, sanctification is a process. Where justification comes from outside of us, from God, sanctification comes from God within us by the work of the Holy Spirit in accordance with the Bible. We contribute to sanctification through our efforts. In contrast, we do not contribute to our justification through our efforts.

Sanctification: Good works result from this union Christ through faith. Christ’s righteousness imputed to Christians through faith, but our sin is imputed to Christ. That is how Christ paid our sin debt to God. He had no sin in Himself, but our sin is imputed to Him so, as He suffers on the cross, He is suffering the just penalty that our sin deserves. “I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me.’ And the life I now live in the flesh; I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me” (Gal 2:20)e.g..

‘work out”(not work for) your own salvation with fear and trembling.(Phil 2:12).

• Michael_M Scottsbluff, NE
    March 22, 2018 4:15 p.m.

@mhenshaw
    I was referring to when one's own beliefs are interfering with reality. Thank you for making my point.

• mhenshaw Leesburg, VA
    March 22, 2018 3:41 p.m.

>>Throwing off the fantasy and facing truth is often the best prescription for good mental health.

I find that the best prescription for good mental health is to not pick fights over the truthfulness of other people's beliefs. Applies to political beliefs too, not just religion or atheism.

• sgallen Salt Lake City, UT
    March 22, 2018 3:03 p.m.

After studying the literature, I agree with you that adhering to one's faith is protective against anxiety and depression. There are several reasons why this may be, and I don't want to conjecture too much. Perhaps intelligence is negatively associated with mental well-being? The bulk of the literature shows that religiosity is inversely proportional to intelligence, as a recent meta-analysis of 63 studies shows.

The Dnews won't let me post a link to Pubmed (where all reputable studies of humankind are indexed). I encourage you to search this article: "The relation between intelligence and religiosity: a meta-analysis and some proposed explanations" in the Journal of Personal and Social Psychology.

It's findings are quite hard to dispute from a scientific perspective.

• NoNamesAccepted St. George, UT
    March 22, 2018 2:15 p.m.

@CMTM: "2 Nephi 25:23 .VS,..."

There is no "vs". As each of the Biblical verses provide a different insight into the roles of faith, works, and grace, so too the verse from the Book of Mormon provides additional insights.

To these, we can add:

"James 2:14-26

What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? ... faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead. ... Show me your faith without your works, and I will show you my faith by my works. .... Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered Isaac his son on the altar? Do you see that faith was working together with his works, and by works faith was made perfect? .... You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only. Likewise, was not Rahab the harlot also justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out another way? For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also."

No conflict between Bible and BoM. I am saved by the Grace of God/Christ as taught in both books. Faith, Works, and Grace combine into salvation. Trinitarians should not have a hard time with this concept.

• Tyler D Prescott, AZ
    March 22, 2018 2:12 p.m.

“The great Harvard philosopher and psychologist William James (1842-1910) took a very positive view of the effects of religious belief.”

James was sympathetic to the religious impulse, not religious belief per se.

In fact James called the vast majority of religious beliefs “over-beliefs” which was a nice way of saying “nonsense” in terms of their correspondence to truth.

• Michael_M Scottsbluff, NE
    March 22, 2018 2:09 p.m.

• NoNamesAccepted St. George, UT
    March 22, 2018 1:56 p.m.

Always fun to see those hostile to religion trying to tell me what effect religion has on me or mine.

These are the same folks who routinely get upset that non-drinkers might have an opinion about alcohol laws. That they do not see the obvious contradictions in presuming to declare expertise on how others' very personal lives might be effected by private religious devotion, proper upbringing in the religion of their fathers, or individual belief is evidence that blinding, arbitrary, unyielding, and restrictive dogma is not limited only to matters of theistic belief.

My religious beliefs, the spiritual manifestations which bolster them, and the observable life effects from them, have been a solid foundation in a world of shifting values, uncertain scientific "knowledge", and base human problems. My beliefs prompt me to be better, while providing solace when I fall short. That has enabled me to explore when I might not otherwise have had courage and strength.

Multiple STEM degrees here. I've found that supposed conflicts between my religious beliefs and best, current scientific understanding are almost always a misunderstanding of one or the other, rather than a real conflict.

• CMTM , 00
    March 22, 2018 12:38 p.m.

RE: For “it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do” (2 Nephi 25:23).VS,

For it is by grace you have been saved through faith, and this not from yourselves; it is the gift of God not by works, so that no one can boast. (Eph 2:8-9) Verse 10,” For we are God's handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which ‘God prepared in Advance’ for us to do.”

RE: “ if I am ignorant of the works and powers of God, I am ignorant of God himself; and if I do not know God, I cannot worship, praise, give thanks or serve Him, for I do not know how much I should attribute to myself and how much to Him. We need, therefore, to have in mind a clear-cut distinction between God's power and ours, and God's work and ours…” Martin Luther. Justified by God 100%, by Human Works 0. i.e…,

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness(Rom 4:5).

He has saved us and called(elected) us(Christians) to a holy life,not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus Before the beginning of time,”(2 Tim 1:9 NIV)

• skeptic Phoenix, AZ
    March 22, 2018 11:50 a.m.

The coaching of children to publicly proclaim they know religious believes that are of an unknown nature and beyond the maturity of the children to understand conditions the children to be prejudice and limited in their adult live to think and explore for themselves. They are taught to be the mouth pieces for their parents wishes and believes. For good mental health children need to grow in and environment of free thinking and rounded education. Too many religious church going parents try to mold their children into their imagined future gods.

• Craig Clark Boulder, CO
    March 22, 2018 9:55 a.m.

There is an inherent conflict between dogma and reasoning. Dogma is arbitrary, restrictive, and unyielding. Reasoning is liberating and expansive. Are they irreconcilable? It would seem so. Religion can be an anchor but it is not the rock of ages. Change and openness are vital to any healthy growth.