Federal appeals court upholds Utah's controversial election law

• conservative scientist Lindon, UT
    March 20, 2018 5:43 p.m.

I am solidly conservative but staunchly against the caucus system for a number of reasons too lengthy to fully elaborate on here. The system is outdated and meant to keep power in the hands of a few extremists. The neighborhood caucuses are a colossal waste of time. I have been to meetings over 3 hours long where most of it was spent reading the Utah County Republican platform and then doing needless housekeeping issues. In my mind the entire purpose of the meeting is to elect delegates, but instead we spent less than 10 minutes on the process of actually electing delegates. Each delegate got up for 1 minute to explain why we should vote for him or her. Hardly an informed decision. I don't need anyone else to "represent" me anyway. I am happy to make an informed vote myself.

Time for the GOP to drop the lawsuit. I wish that the count my vote initiative were dropping the caucus and convention all together, but I guess allowing an alternate course of action to the primaries is a satisfactory compromise.

• UtahBlueDevil Alpine, UT
    March 20, 2018 5:14 p.m.

The "elitist" caucus system is solely designed to keep power controlled by a close nit group of people. It made sense in the past when polling places were days rides between each other. And when news didn't travel freely, so you needed to rely on a few to represent the many on their behalf.

But those issues don't exist anymore. People in Southern Utah hear about things about the same time people in the two northern valleys do. It is ironic that Utah was one of the leaders in getting the vote for women, and yet today want to hold onto old outdated ways of protecting the voters from themselves.

The base of the Republican party should decide who is on the ticket - not some elitist crowd who are friends of friends, that think they need to decide for the average Republican.

• aghast SYRACUSE, UT
    March 20, 2018 4:38 p.m.

Most people who know me would say I am staunchly conservative. I am a conservative until I hear about Utah Republicans. Since they are in the vast majority of the Utah Legislature then they should make changes of law there instead of challenging it in court. With this divisiveness in the party, why do we need a second party in the state? I guess maybe it is for these reasons? Step up Democrats, give us viable candidates, it is past time.

• Thomas Jefferson Cottonwood Heights, UT
    March 20, 2018 3:38 p.m.

You keep mistakenly calling this law 'controversial'. It is not controversial except to a few people at the top of the GOP who think that THEY should get to decide who in on the ballot instead of the people.

• EDM Castle Valley, Utah
    March 20, 2018 1:48 p.m.

Well, this is the best news I’ve read today.

• bill in af American Fork, UT
    March 20, 2018 1:14 p.m.

It is now time for the Utah Republican Party to stop this needless power play by the minority ultra conservatives. SB 54 has been a fair compromise between the majority moderates and the minority ultra conservatives in the party. So much for the ultra conservative argument that SB 54 is unconstitutional. Maybe they should go back a study the constitution. Nothing is unconstitutional just because of their personal opinion. It is only unconstitutional if the courts rule that it is. Which they did not.

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    March 20, 2018 11:20 a.m.

Please tell us that Utah taxpayer dollars weren't used in any of this childish bickering? Plus, the Utah GOP can never again use the phrase "Party of Fiscal Responsibility". They are 400K in the hole due to their petty infighting. They are shooting themselves in the foot. No one wants to donate to the Utah GOP because they know their money will go to paying for this behavior.