Romney seeks Marriott post he can't hold as a U.S. senator

• Esquire Springville, UT
    March 21, 2018 1:21 p.m.

@ panamadesnews, you clearly don't know much about public company boards and the process. Romney is sure to win. His tenure on the Marriott board for the next term wold be very short. This puts a burden on Marriott that is completely unnecessary. He is not indispensable for the Marriott board. It's not about his skills (he has them), or family relationships with the Marriotts (acknowledged). It's about an unnecessary vacancy that will occur in just a few months, which is presumably a multi-year term. Don't be so thin-skinned. I'm not attacking Mitt, just questioning why he would do this because I think his election to the Senate is a slam dunk.

• panamadesnews Lindon, UT
    March 20, 2018 7:41 p.m.

RE:
    Esquire - Springville, UT
    March 20, 2018 9:38 a.m.
    "Why waste the time and money of Marriott? I don't get this? He can't possibly need the money. Ego? What?"

Did you even read the article. Willard Marriott and Mitt's father were good friends. Mitt's first given name is Willard, so he was named for Mr Marriott. I would think the Marriott organization may well desire him on their board of directors. He has a keen business mind, so why not. He would probably be very helpful to the organization while serving on the board. If by chance they do not want him, I would think he would not be voted in. I believe some of the naysayers on this site may have a touch of jealousy.

• panamadesnews Lindon, UT
    March 20, 2018 7:33 p.m.

RE:
    Impartial7 - DRAPER, UT
    March 19, 2018 6:04 p.m.
    "So, we have a guy that is running for two offices, that can't coexist at the same time? Sounds like hedging."

Not even close. It is called having a backup plan.

• at long last. . . Kirksville , MO
    March 20, 2018 2:28 p.m.

Romney is just another opportunist in our society. Yes, he is hedging his bets.

• iluvnz Vernal, UT
    March 20, 2018 2:13 p.m.

@Dan Maloy

Well stated. Thank you.

• Dan Maloy Enid, OK
    March 20, 2018 11:04 a.m.

@ skeptic - Phoenix, AZ - March 20, 2018 8:35 a.m. - "It is how the rich feed the rich and starve the poor."

@ Impartial7

----

You know nothing of Mitt Romney. Nothing.

Mitt's financial worth is between $200-250 million. As an active LDS member all his life, one who holds a temple recommend, he has given the LDS church between $20-25 million in tithing alone. And what does the LDS church do with tithing? Build churches, build temples, pay for the utilities and upkeep of those buildings, print scriptures that contain messages from Jesus Christ of love and encouragement and hope, send missionaries all throughout the world to share those same messages. And who goes inside those buildings? People. People who need lifting. And, oh, by the way, world-wide, in terms of the LDS chapels, many of those who attend are not Mormons.

And then consider the millions he has donated in non-Mormon causes. Yes, over the years, millions. Plus his time serving as an LDS bishop and then as a Stake President.

How much have you given?

I know this because I've studied the man.

You look silly when you claim that Mitt Romney is selfish or that he oppresses the poor.

• Astoria Jim Mamaroneck, NY
    March 20, 2018 10:43 a.m.

During Mitt's 2012 Presidential campaign, he made an appearance in a community near where I lived. I told my wife I would go see him, because I wanted to confront him with a challenging question that he might not be able to answer to my satisfaction.
    Terrified that I would say something that might be offensive, or be broadcast on local tv or go viral, she demanded to know what my question for Mitt Romney would have been.
    Simple, I told her:
    "Can you help me regain some expired Marriott points?"

• Johnny Triumph Salt Lake City, UT
    March 20, 2018 10:33 a.m.

Why the criticisms? I'd keep my job options open. None of us would quit a job in the hopes of getting a different one...we'd first secure the new job before quitting our current one. Probably more concerning is that DN decided this was news at all.

And I agree with @liberallarry, which one of us would turn down a board job like that???

• liberal larry Salt Lake City, UT
    March 20, 2018 10:14 a.m.

Let's see, $5,000. a week, no heavy lifting, indoor, air conditioning, with maybe 8 to 10 meeting per year!

Nice work if you can get it!

• Esquire Springville, UT
    March 20, 2018 9:38 a.m.

• skeptic Phoenix, AZ
    March 20, 2018 8:35 a.m.

It is how the rich feed the rich and starve the poor.

• The Meliorist Grande Cache, 00
    March 20, 2018 7:47 a.m.

Very smart actually. Wouldn't most people want to have a back up job in case the one they were applying for didn't pan out?

It would actually be presumptuous and arrogant for him not to seek the Marriott post because the Senator position was already his.

Another reason Romney will be a great Republican Presidential candidate next election. Of course I don't know if even he could win given the damage Trump has done to the Party. Trump definitely wouldn't, and that assumes he hasn't been removed from office anyway.

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT