Utah GOP infighting flares up over rejection of party bylaw change

• Nancy Lord Bluffdale, UT
    March 20, 2018 12:34 p.m.

Dear Flashback - Kearns, UT,
    It's cowardly for you to post anonymously and accuse me of this debacle, but I am not guilty of what you have charged me with. And I always post in my real name, because I believe in being accountable and transparent. I am not part of the Gang Of 51, and I most certainly did not vote for the special SCC meeting bylaw change that would remove signature-gathering candidates from being a Republican on the ballot. In fact, I was one of the 21 SCC members who voted against this horrific bylaw change. Three years ago, at our August 15, 2015 state convention, I was about the only one who tried to inform the state delegates that this was the direction the party was headed. I was humiliated on the state convention floor by Enid Greene Mickelsen for trying to do so. Enid, James Evans, and other party leaders told delegates that we had to start changing our Constitution & Bylaws to restrict party membership (and candidacy) because our attorneys told us that was what we had to do in response to SB54, in order to have a shot at winning in court. I could see where this was headed. I did not support it then. I do not support it now. Please tell the truth.

• Pops NORTH SALT LAKE, UT
    March 14, 2018 9:15 p.m.

Rob's reason for invalidating the by-law: "RONR Article VIII Vote. 47. Votes that are Null and Void even if Unanimous: 'No motion is in order that conflicts with the laws of the nation, or state, or with the assembly's constitution or by-laws, and if such a motion is adopted, even by a unanimous vote, it is null and void. No rule that conflicts with a rule of a higher order is of any authority.'"

It's been fascinating and encouraging to see Rob Anderson, over the past few years, prevent a particular member of Utah's own Area 51 from getting the power he seeks to enact his private agenda. Keep up the good work, Rob!

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    March 14, 2018 11:51 a.m.

@Flashback;
    "This by-law change was passed incorrectly.
    My understanding from news reports was less than 50% of the total central committee was in attendance at the meeting where the change was made.
    That means there was not a quorum and they couldn't transact business per Roberts Rules of Order."
    Well your understanding in incorrect. Don't feel bad, the purpose of the Utah GOP is to mislead and change rules so they can play unfairly. I know that you support them, so this should hurt your sensibilities. The rules for a "quorum" in the Utah Central Committee is only 27. That's right, they changed the rules so that a small minority of 27 can pass laws with a 2/3 vote (2/3 of 27 is 18). So, the Utah GOP- that's supposed to represent you, can in fact pass laws with 18 people. And, that's legal, according to Robert's Rules of Order. Sounds just like the Utah GOP-right?

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    March 14, 2018 7:25 a.m.

This by-law change was passed incorrectly.

So Anderson is correct in ignoring the change.

This sounds like the Morgan Philpot/Nancy Lord wing of the party trying to have their way.

• EDM Castle Valley, Utah
    March 13, 2018 11:46 p.m.

Steve B.,

I get you completely. I had the same sentiment a long, long time ago, and then it just hit me one day: I cannot be a Republican. Whatever my Party leanings are today, one thing is sure: I do not trust Utah Republicans.

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    March 13, 2018 9:08 p.m.

Sounds like these children need a timeout. I have watched the Utah GOP eat its own over the last 10 years. These guys have an overwhelming monopoly in Utah politics, yet they still can't act with integrity and maturity.

• Prodicus Provo, UT
    March 13, 2018 7:38 p.m.

The Central Committee is off its rocker.

Delegates chose Rob Anderson. Why? First, because the party was wasting its energy suing fellow Republicans. Second, the reason - to allow party leadership to ignore the will of rank and file party members - was objectionable. Third, we were going into massive debt to pursue the lawsuit.

Rob Anderson was elected by delegates to do one job: put this mess behind us and get the party to comply with the law. The corrupt Central Committee has continued to defy the will of not only rank and file party members but of the delegates.

If we can get enough reasonable rank and file Republicans to the caucuses we should be able to oust these people who are steering the Republican ship into the iceberg.

Fabled Soul: you don't understand. No one has a 'god given right' to silence the majority of party members. That brand of extremism isn't conservatism, it's king-men and secret combinations.

We as a party should make it our law to do our business by the voice of the people (Mosiah 29). The voice of the people chose Curtis not Herrod.

• Fullypresent Salt Lake City, UT
    March 13, 2018 7:03 p.m.

Let's get rid of the party system in our state and nationally. Let's do term limits, and get the $ out of all our elections. Publicly funded debates, short campaigns, vote for the most qualified and ethical person to do the job. This would totally reform our government at every level and make for a better state and country. People might actually feel hopeful about their government and government leaders.

• Fabled Soul Provo, UT
    March 13, 2018 6:08 p.m.

Liberal democrats and big government republicans hate the convention system, so if you’re a conservative, it’s easy to support the convention system and the republican committee members efforts to defend it. We won’t be browbeaten into abandoning our God-given freedoms.

• Steve B. BRIGHAM CITY, UT
    March 13, 2018 5:16 p.m.

I have been contemplating withdrawing my registration as a Republican ever since Bob Bennett was railroaded out at the convention. If the party successfully eliminates candidates that seek signatures there really isn't any reason to continue being a Republican on the state level. I cannot be a Democrat so hopefully, a third party will develop strength if the signature gathering efforts are derailed.

• Swiss Price, UT
    March 13, 2018 4:40 p.m.

Well, I guess when Curtis votes for Nancy Pelosi for Speaker of the House we will see what the petition system leads to.

• CKS007 Clearfield, UT
    March 13, 2018 4:32 p.m.

I remember when the GOP use to represent the people of Utah and not just a select group of "elites". Perhaps it's time to vote out these people and get in some new blood before the party is beyond repair.

• Fitz Salt Lake City, UT
    March 13, 2018 4:13 p.m.

Back in the 1980s I went to GOP conventions. There was a meeting on Friday evenings and the rest on Saturday. Friday evening was policy time. The Convention members stayed Friday evening and we had the rights and opportunities to pass, amend, rescind, and so many other options , to create the Utah GOP Policy.

Today, the Policy system is not even close to allowing the convention members work hard to make sure GOP wanted the right policy. The Executive committee took control of the policy (convention members would send in policy, but was usually ignored.) The Executive committee, in reality, totally controlled the policy. And as you watched it, the extreme far right Executive committee (mostly with elected legislatures and elected Executives) pushed any one out if your were not a far right member. It was done quicker than one thought.

Today, the GOP is no longer the way it was in the 1980s. From Mid 90s to early 2000s, I went to the conventions again. It is not the GOP we used to have. It is disappointing.

We seriously need to replace the members of those that are already elected.

• Thomas Jefferson Cottonwood Heights, UT
    March 13, 2018 3:22 p.m.

Its past time for the citizens who consistently vote for republicans to stop doing that for an election or two to finally show these extreme reich wingers that they are NOT in the majority. They only have power because Utahns tend to vote R without thinking.