Utah lawmakers wrap up legislative session with tax relief, big boost for education

• Fullypresent Salt Lake City, UT
    March 13, 2018 9:37 p.m.

Teachers work 180 days a year while most other people with really stressful jobs work about 250 days a year (unless you are in Congress). Teachers have great benefits as well. Their pay is reasonable for being in Utah. Many professions do not pay well in Utah.

I think it is more teaching has become a thankless job with too much bureaucracy, too many unsupportive parents, too many kids nowadays with too many problems, and too large of classrooms.

Until you address those things the teacher turnover rate will continue. Even if you have a lot of kids with problems having a small classroom where you can get to all of them and help them makes all the difference in the world. But, Utah parents do not want to hear about having less kids or paying a head tax so that problem will likely never to solved.

• tryingtosmile salt lake city, UT
    March 11, 2018 7:52 a.m.

Watch what they do.... We passed a tax increase about 10 years ago for higher education.so they just took less from the general fund. No actual increase they just shuffled the money. It is a big game. This money goes into general fund also. Now that the corporations get even more money. Plus incentives to stay. It has to be made up some way. What happened to reducing food tax?Something that would have been an even tax relief. But they like the corporations which just got a huge federal tax cut. Increase in wages? Nope but sales taxes are going up and now gas too.

• mrjj69 bountiful, UT
    March 10, 2018 12:06 a.m.

A 33% increase in the gas tax??? Wish my Social security went up that much. But they tell me there is no inflation.????

• MacMama Sandy, UT
    March 9, 2018 3:46 p.m.

I am really opposed to the gas tax being used to fund education. The gas tax should be used exclusively to fund roads and repair. This is a slippery slope- next they’ll come back and complain that they aren’t collecting enough from the gas tax for road repair so they have to raise it again (because they just did this and claimed we’d never notice). Then what is to keep them from adding more to the gas tax to fund . I don’t want us to go down the same road as California with sky high gas taxes- or like Europe. I was in Norway last year- it cost me $100 to fill the tank of my small rental car due to taxes.
    If we get to vote on this- much as I am a supporter of education and paying teachers more- I will vote no on this.

• at long last. . . Kirksville , MO
    March 9, 2018 2:58 p.m.

As far as I can tell, the politicians didn't cause me significant damage. . . time will tell. If only there were a 'sunset clause' on the state vegetable, state dinosaur, state bird, et cetera, we could occupy their time so they didn't hurt us at all.

• Utah Teacher Orem, UT
    March 9, 2018 2:54 p.m.

Really wow,

I just became an administrator after teaching for more than 20 years. My per hour pay rate actually went down $1/hr. Yes it decreased.

Do I earn more money now? Yes because I work 60 more days each year.

Which is harder? By far being an administrator has been much tougher. Nothing but problems from the minute I get to work until the minute I leave.

Why do it? With retirement based on highest salary, I have to do it for my family.

• AlExplorer American Fork, UT
    March 9, 2018 11:06 a.m.

I moved from California to Utah. This sounds like California all over again, just 10-years behind. Add an increase here, another increase there and it goes on and on and on. Then the State decides that since there is an additional gas tax for education, they divert other dollars that used to go to education to something else. The end result is no additional money ends up in education, its just collected from us in another way.

• Mr. Boris Layton, UT
    March 9, 2018 10:07 a.m.

Will this "boost" go to the students or teachers?

Because the teachers do just fine. My wife is a teacher and my son is a teacher and they both feel they earn a very fair wage for their services. Take a teacher's salary and multiply it by 1.333 to get a more accurate wage because they don't work full time. 180 days a year is not a full time job.

Utah ranks 2nd in the west in teacher salary and 25th nationally but to listen to the UEA you would think Utah was 50th. So if the extra money is going to student spending I am fine with a tax increase. If it is going to teacher salaries I am not.

• bill in af American Fork, UT
    March 9, 2018 9:54 a.m.

It is too bad that it takes citizen initiatives to get the state legislature to get serious about issues such as education (Our Schools Now) or the correct direction of selecting candidates (Count My Vote) which led to compromise HB54.

• imsmarterthanyou Salt Lake City, UT
    March 9, 2018 9:38 a.m.

REALLY-WOW - SLC, UT

Your comment is absurd from my viewpoint. I have no intention of going out and being a teacher for any amount of time for any pay. With the false sexual assault accusation being the popular thing now days, only a fool would be a teacher. And I, for one, am sick & tired of paying to educate your kids. Why can't you pay for your own kids education? I agree that education is very important, but I am just fine with paying for my kids education while you pay for yours!

• Mainly Me Werribee, 00
    March 9, 2018 8:54 a.m.

I have a fixed income and must budget my money. I have to live within my means. Why can't government do the same?

• Jbejarano Eagle Mountain, UT
    March 9, 2018 8:26 a.m.

Grateful for politicians who saw the light and helped solve a crisis in Itah: teacher shortage.

I really enjoyed the hearty debates in the House on education this session and hope to fund local roads and replace general funds back into schools instead of roads this election.

• jp3 Salt Lake City, UT
    March 9, 2018 7:57 a.m.

I'm a bit confused--if the vote on the 10 cent gas increase fails in the fall, what happens? Seems like it's a bit premature to call this a funding win for education.

• REALLY-WOW SLC, UT
    March 9, 2018 7:50 a.m.

Any one who complains about more funding for education needs to rethink that thought process... Do these people not understand what makes the world go round???? The foundation of every job in the world is based off of education, and learning. These people need to go teach for one year and get paid what teacher get paid and their opinion would change drastically about more funding for education. (Now, are administrators overpaid...YES, teachers..NO)

• dski HERRIMAN, UT
    March 9, 2018 6:31 a.m.

Politicians’ thirst for more taxes will never be quenched. For every gallon of gas we put into our vehicles, the state will now ding us 40 cents? This is in addition to their proposed future road tolls on state highways? So, what does per student expense has to do with a student’s ability to learn? Our state have been blamed for being at the near bottom of the barrel, as far as per pupil spending, yet our schools are producing better than most states who fall into this propaganda. As one of those with fixed income, it seems the state is telling us to move elsewhere. I think I’m getting the message, “We are no longer welcome here”.

• Fullypresent Salt Lake City, UT
    March 9, 2018 12:17 a.m.

Education needs to now be quiet. If that is not enough $ and enough of the state budget than start pushing for a head tax to discourage people from 36,000 new students each year to fund. Or, take to GM who was helping to push for more education $. She is a billionaire and will now get a nice corporate state tax cut on top of the big federal corporate tax cut she got. How much are we going to keep cutting corporate taxes and putting that on the regular every day taxpayer?