Judge to Trump: Muting, not blocking followers, may end suit

• jsf Centerville, UT
    March 9, 2018 12:43 p.m.

Where is that constitutional provision?

• GingerMarshall Brooklyn, OH
    March 9, 2018 10:57 a.m.

@jsf:

It'll be interesting to see the ruling, although I'm betting they'll kick it down the road with a compromise if they can.

I wish one of our actual lawyers would chime in here.

And I admit I see Trump as the loudmouth at the end of the bar, screaming insults around the room and becoming incensed when people actually stand up and respond.

• jsf Centerville, UT
    March 9, 2018 10:27 a.m.

"An official account of an elected official cannot block speech without running afoul of the First." Please show me in the constitution where it says this.

No a politician that receives constituents in his home can still bar entrance from detractors. Just like a congressman can bar groups from entering his office. It is not a free speech issue.

IMHO it appears that a state of feeling very unhappy, uneasy, about Constitutional rights is causing a cognitive dissonance were constitutional rights come in.

• GingerMarshall Brooklyn, OH
    March 9, 2018 9:57 a.m.

@Spoc: "Not being either a legal scholar or a Twitter user, I need clarification."

On Twitter I follow a number of politicians holding political office. They have an account used for "official business," that is announcements on positions and policies and projects, sometimes comments on current legislation or current events. It is much like a press office, and may be handled by the politician or by someone in the office or a combination.

I am also friends with a couple of politicians and follow their personal feeds - kid's birthdays and where they had dinner and such like. Personal stuff, not official.

Trump's usage and statements are that, as President (elected official) his personal twitter feed is his official platform.

Sort of like your local councilman declaring his living room is his official place to talk to his constituents, then baring certain constituents from entering...

I am not a legal scholar, either, that is what I understand of the case. It comes down to how it is being used and if it is, by usage, his official platform, then he can't block people.

• Spoc Ogden, UT
    March 9, 2018 8:54 a.m.

Ginger,

Not being either a legal scholar or a Twitter user, I need clarification.
    Is there a form I would need to fill out to turn a private account into an official account belonging to the Federal Government? Or, by virtue of election, all personal accounts are now deemed public? Hillary probably would argue against that concept with regard to email accounts, but that is not the topic here.

Perhaps it is by virtue of content. I doubt he has tweeted out or received any classified information. But if he posts the Seal of the President on his account or just tells people he is the POTUS, then it becomes public domain?

So, I am curious. You said "Trump acted to turn his private citizen account into an elected official account". How did he go about doing that?

• unrepentant progressive Bozeman, MT
    March 9, 2018 5:34 a.m.

More evidence IMO that this president seeks to turn the country into a dictatorship.

• GingerMarshall Brooklyn, OH
    March 8, 2018 9:53 p.m.

@jsf: "This is a real scary attack on the first amendment."

Trump was a private citizen who had a personal Twitter account he primarily used to insult and feud with people. His prerogative.

Trump was elected. He did not let his Twitter go fallow and start communicating his official messages through an official presidential account. He, by word and deed, turned his private account into the official account an elected official uses to communicate with his constituents.

A private account can censor and block at will - I know I do.

Trump acted to turn his private citizen account into an elected official account, but now wants private citizen rules to apply.

Can't have it both ways.

• jsf Centerville, UT
    March 8, 2018 6:10 p.m.

This is a real scary attack on the first amendment. This is not you have free speech, this is you can be forced to listen to my free speech.

This is saying you must listen to Fox News you don't get to decide. You must listen to MSM you don't get a choice.

You must take that 3 am phone call from that crazy ranting neighbor that hates you.

No I don't have to listen to you, just because free speech allows you to say it.

• Fullypresent Salt Lake City, UT
    March 8, 2018 5:03 p.m.

Maybe he could stop running the country through tweets. That would help.