Salt Lake airport's 'once-in-a-lifetime' redesign now approaching $3.6 billion

• mrjj69 bountiful, UT
    March 7, 2018 12:19 a.m.

growth isn't always good. This city will soon be another Denver, phoenix, etc. (take your pic) and all the crime, pollution, and expenses that go with it. But, hey... maybe we can host the olympics again... SMH.

• TripleCrown Santa Ana, CA
    March 6, 2018 3:51 p.m.

Once in a lifetime airport redesign opportunity? Oh, you mean not including the massive expansions in the early 80's and again in the early 90's?

• okeesmokee SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    March 6, 2018 11:49 a.m.

I fly quite a bit, here are my observations:

SLC is a good airport - well managed, but undersized for the current passenger use. I see the new airport as a significant improvement and will help the area remain competitive.

So far, I have been impressed with how the construction has not significantly interfered with airport access - good job and thank you.

The costs have gone up, but the design has changed significantly. I like the new design better, having 5 short concourses is not efficient, this appears to be more like Detroit. The original rebuild was going to keep Concourses C and D - these currently have gates that are too close together and don't accommodate efficient boarding/exiting. Current boarding at the end of C or D is a real mess, too many gates and not enough space - there are at least 5 gates at the end of each concourse.

The costs will be paid by user fees - passenger numbers will increase offsetting the need for a significant increase. Not sure of all the conspiracy comments posted - nice things cost money.

I don't care where Trax off-loads - the current proposal is fine. Just happy that Trax goes to the airport.

• quackquack Park City, UT
    March 6, 2018 10:00 a.m.

This is the love hate relationship I have with this state 3 billion for an airport, how many billion for a prison move, how many millions for a Federal Land grab and the list goes on on, yet they don't have a penny to spend on education, yet they want to increases taxes for education and we continually are at the bottom of the list in education spending.

This is mismanagement at its finest, 3 billion for Teachers and Schools would do allot for your Utah and its kids\families. Without the educating the people building the infrastructure is does nothing and you wonder why Utah and these companies are recruiting people from India, Pakistan, & China. No more complaining these people are taking out jobs when you dont qualify for them.

• Johnny Triumph Salt Lake City, UT
    March 6, 2018 9:05 a.m.

The new airport terminal and concourse, with all supporting infrastructure/parking/roadways will be amazing. It's already the class in the US to beat and it's not even open. I can't wait for this to complete!

• Thomas Thompson Salt Lake City, UT
    March 6, 2018 8:56 a.m.

I really wish they wouldn't, because when they're done, we're going to be well on our way to becoming Atlanta. I once lived in Atlanta, and it's an okay city; but I wouldn't want to live there again. That's why I live in the much more livable Salt Lake City. "Growth at any cost" is always unwise, especially when the cost comes in at billions of dollars.

• aghast SYRACUSE, UT
    March 6, 2018 7:29 a.m.

Here's to you CMO Beaver. You hit the nail on the head. I might add that the contracting dollars probably don't stay in Utah either, especially on projects like airports.

A million dollars is a lot of money, where we are talking billions here and acting like it is nothing - who does pay the bill? Early on in the project, when I was reading about the new airport, most of the money came from the federal government. Federal, Salt Lake City, State of Utah - doesn't matter - tax dollars and the tax payer is getting "fleeced". Revenue probably goes to pay for things like lounges, entertainment venues, and clubs. I have never been in one, too bad I get to pay for it if I want to fly?

• Ignominious Sandy, UT
    March 6, 2018 1:24 a.m.

$1.8 Billion to $3.6 Billion is not my idea of a "gradual" rise. Sounds like the project in Boston I believe, that sky rocketed.

Then we didn't even get an answer to the question,
    "But will user fees rise to accommodate the costs? Wyatt said by the time the project is done, Salt Lake City will still have the one of the lowest costs per passengers."

Actually, I would sat the answer was "yes".

• TX BYU Fan Heber City, UT
    March 5, 2018 10:52 p.m.

@Red - How are we getting fleeced? No taxpayer dollars are being used. Only user fees. So if you use the airport, like I do regularly, you pay for it. Yes, it has gotten more expensive because costs in Utah keep rising. Just curious how we're getting fleeced is all.

• cjb Bountiful, UT
    March 5, 2018 10:30 p.m.

Having traveled a bit, one thing I appreciate about the Salt Lake City airport that most other airports I've been to lack, is places to sit down and rest.

• CMO Beaver Beaver, UT
    March 5, 2018 7:52 p.m.

The Utah ruling class (real estate and construction) just get richer and richer

Welcome to the Utah state house

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    March 5, 2018 6:51 p.m.

1.8 billion to now 3.6 billion. Who did the cost estimate, the same guys that did the prison move?

• Red Salt Lake City, UT
    March 5, 2018 6:45 p.m.

Why would the contractors "sign on a firm bid" when they can just raise the price?

We are all getting fleeced by this project. I'm not sure you have a qualified team to even understand the bid.

We could have bought the whole airport for $3.6 billion.

All we are doing is adding a building. It is not the empire state building either.

Nice job contractors.