How this group helped make the Martha Hughes Cannon Capitol statue a reality

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    March 10, 2018 8:20 a.m.

So one of the World's Greatest Inventors, Native born Utah son, is sent to the ash heap of History.

He was cheated in life by David Sarnoff and RCA and cheated once again by silly, uniformed legislators.

To his wife Pem, who fought so hard to have him get his due recognition, sadly, ignorant Politicians just can't leave well enough alone, nobody has a sense of history anymore.

• 1Reader Alpine, UT
    March 9, 2018 9:28 p.m.

Great work, McBaine! Wonderful example, and great story.

I too have been puzzled by a broad perception that LDS women are limited or marginalized--when I think just the opposite is true. If you tried telling my mothers going back to the Pioneers, or my wife or mother, that they are limited and repressed--you'd learn quickly and forcefully who they are and what they believe their role and influence is.

• george of the jungle goshen, UT
    March 7, 2018 6:55 a.m.

Ya got to take your hat off to Sandra Tanner. She amazing as a historian, and finding truth. If what she has found wasn't truth she wouldn't be in business.

• jane 66 Alameda, CA
    March 5, 2018 4:57 p.m.

Not sure why men should be included in "Better Days." Why is it so hard for some to understand that women are not equal in this society and in fact, as the article states, some research has shown that Utah is the worst state for women in the US? That needs some more research and women's status in our society needs more attention. Men's status and rights in our society can be treated by a group interested in that. Women have a right to focus on women's issues without someone trying to dilute their efforts. Women's experiences are unique in some ways and need to be treated separately from men's.

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    March 5, 2018 12:02 p.m.

I would like to know more about this "Better Days 2020" group. Like how many men are in the group. I mean if they are for "Diversity" you would expect their group to be diverse.

It seems like they have good hearts. Just want to know more about them. Like are they advocating for men's and women's rights? Or just women's rights?

We have people who want to reduce our rights all around us. I hope they are fighting against them. Whether it's a women's rights issue or not.

I hope they are celebrating all rights. Not just women's rights.

• citygrrl SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    March 5, 2018 10:38 a.m.

So now we'll have two polygamists representing Utah in our nation's Capitol.

I respect Ms. McBaine's desire to portray Mormon women as accomplished, and to try to reverse the stereotype of LDS women as subservient in their marriages, church and Utah culture. I have always known Mormon women who don't fit that stereotype. I resent, however, the co-opting of a limited number of spaces in a national venue to advance the agenda of LDS women who believe they have been unfairly represented in mass culture.

It may come as a surprise to Ms. McBaine, who did not grow up in Zion, that there are many of us native Utahans who are non-Mormon and feel every bit as grounded in the history of our state as those who are LDS. Our families' histories are as embedded and as significant in the Utah narrative as those who are LDS. Ms. McBaine's campaign to ensconce Cannon in the US Capitol makes me feel like an outsider in my home state.

If Better Days 2020 wants to extol the contributions of women in Utah, here are a few names they could study: Sarah Daft, Reva Beck Boscone and Mary Judge. All gave much to our state at a time when women's participation outside the home was limited.

• Seagull Suz Sandy, UT
    March 5, 2018 6:44 a.m.

While I have never met Neylan McBaine personally, I feel I know her heart through her work, WOMEN AT CHURCH. Thank you Neylan for continuing to keep women in Utah out of the shadows of the past and into Washington in the future. Bravo to BETTER DAYS 2020.