Dozens of nuns, other Catholics arrested advocating for immigrants

• NeifyT Salt Lake City, UT
    March 1, 2018 12:07 p.m.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances. "

Arresting nuns because they pray and sing the the capitol building in petition of redress of the grievance of disallowing those who had no choice in the matter but to be residence of the US; seems to me a clear abridgement of such a right.

I guess the Constitution means nothing to our government officials.

• delasalle Sandy, UT
    March 1, 2018 11:21 a.m.

I consider myself a Christian and therefore may have to switch my church membership to one that puts its money where its mouth is, with no equivocating. I applaud the efforts of the Catholic Church and leadership on this issue. It's great to see at least one church is standing for something.

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT
    March 1, 2018 10:43 a.m.

@procuradorfiscal "Again, hiding behind feigned/misplaced compassion to mask the real liberal agenda -- a desperate purchase of voters they believe will replace Americans fleeing liberal failures -- "

And just how do you know this is the "real" liberal agenda? I not a liberal, I am a socialist, so I can't speak for liberals in general. But I favor immigration for humanitarian and economic theory reasons.

You impute no value whatsoever to "liberals." This is typical of today's conservatives. I would never do that to you.

• procuradorfiscal Tooele, UT
    Feb. 28, 2018 4:08 p.m.

Re: "Thank goodness those two groups were not expelled."

Uh -- speaking as a descendant of Mormons expelled from Mexico, I can attest to the error of that statement.

It's also likely true that Joseph and Mary were, if not expelled from Egypt, were at least unwelcome enough there that they elected to return to Judah, notwithstanding intolerable conditions during the reign of Archelaus.

Again, hiding behind feigned/misplaced compassion to mask the real liberal agenda -- a desperate purchase of voters they believe will replace Americans fleeing liberal failures -- is not true compassion. This is particularly so, in light of the damage being done to both America and those nations suffering family breakups and the loss of their best and brightest to us.

I might add that liberals' open-borders scam will likely fail, anyway. People don't flee third-world nations because they love poverty and corruption. It's unlikely they'll vote for liberal poverty and corruption here, even if liberals are successful in illegally securing voting rights for them -- as they're currently attempting to do in Chicago and California.

• Lane Myer Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 28, 2018 3:41 p.m.

"When an American does in their home nations what Mexicans and Central Americans do here, their governments correctly identify the problem as an invasion and quickly take appropriate action."

Like, perhaps, when the Mormons moved into Mexican Territory and claimed it for their own?

Like, perhaps, when the baby Jesus, Joseph and Mary went to Egypt to escape the horrors in their own land?

Thank goodness those two groups were not expelled.

• RichardB Murray, UT
    Feb. 28, 2018 3:27 p.m.

Where did Christ teach that rewarding people who break our laws is the right thing to do. On the contrary he taught us that a person is responsible for their actions.

As adults, they are responsible for their illegal presence.

A small group, and as far as the Rabbi's, Israel has no problem deporting people there illegally.

• procuradorfiscal Tooele, UT
    Feb. 28, 2018 2:54 p.m.

Re: "These are illegals,not immigrants"

Hear, hear!

Uninvited "immigrants" are historically known by another term -- invaders.

On the other hand, foolish liberal politicos, seeking nothing more than easily-bought voters to replace the Americans who've justifiably deserted them, willingly subvert the rule of law, placing our Nation and freedom throughout the world in jeopardy. Then they spout sophistries about "compassion" to hide and justify their deranged, politically-motivated open borders scams.

Sorry, but it's just not at all compassionate to destroy the world's engine of economic liberty and its guardian of freedom and democracy to advance a short-term liberal political agenda.

It just isn't.

• FatherOfFour WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Feb. 28, 2018 12:24 p.m.

There needs to be a compromise between those who support these harsh immigration measures and religious rights. I don't believe religious rights should be trampled, but at the same time I know that lots of republicans support really harsh immigration policy. There has to be a middle ground where both those who are religious and the right-wing can both be happy.

• Baccus0902 Leesburg, VA
    Feb. 28, 2018 11:51 a.m.

@ bigv56 -

You wrote: " These are illegals, not immigrants"

I respectfully disagree, they are human beings hence children of God.

I think our Catholic brothers and sister believe and follow Matthew 25: 40 "And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me."

• bigv56 Cottonwood, CA
    Feb. 28, 2018 11:33 a.m.

These are illegals,not immigrants

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Feb. 28, 2018 10:34 a.m.

Shamrock,
    It is heartening. And quite rare.

• shamrock Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 28, 2018 10:02 a.m.

It's always heartening to see Christians standing up for the principles that Jesus taught.