If comedies won the Oscar for best picture, these 7 might have had a shot

• skitter Orem, UT
    March 4, 2018 9:41 p.m.

The Big Lebowski vs Shakespeare in Love. Is there anybody alive that thinks "The Dude" should not have won.

• CovertOp Sandy, UT
    March 3, 2018 9:22 a.m.

Better Off Dead and Weird Science gets my vote!

• esodije ALBUQUERQUE, NM
    March 2, 2018 10:07 p.m.

Kramer vs. Kramer and Ordinary People are the most-forgettable Best Picture winners ever. Even Cheech and Chong made more-durable films.

• crimendelsiglo where there ain't no freaking snow, UT
    March 2, 2018 4:45 p.m.

1 nomination of 7 isn't very good odds for a comedy

mostly slapstick, mostly boring

• ImaUteFan West Jordan, UT
    March 2, 2018 2:58 p.m.

My vote would be for Tootsie, my favorite comedy ever. Dustin Hoffman, Bill Murray, Teri Garr, Jessica Lange, Dabney Coleman are all fantastic.

• yankees27 Heber, Utah
    March 2, 2018 1:25 p.m.

Blazing Saddles all the way!

• WJDad West Jordan, UT
    March 2, 2018 11:45 a.m.

Princes Bride sure, That was (and is) a definite winner. But the rest? No way.

Some Like it Hot was very good, mostly for the one-liners but compared to Ben Hur? No, Ben Hur is the clear winner there.

Ghostbusters was good. Amadeus was better. Same with Young Frankenstein vs Godfather Pt II only more so. Mel Brooks has his moments, but De Niro, Pacino, and Duvall are execellent.

I'm pretty sure that I watched both Being There and Kramer vs Kramer, but I don't remember either.

Dumb and Dumber or Elf should win Razzies rather than Oscars.

• imsmarterthanyou Salt Lake City, UT
    March 2, 2018 8:59 a.m.

I'm sorry but princess buttercup was NOT played by mandy patinkin, who is a man by the way, most notably staring in the first years of criminal minds on TV.
    Also, Christmas Vacation, the funniest movie ever made and by far the best christmas movie ever made, definitely should have won some best picture awards,

• Pacer Bountiful, UT
    March 2, 2018 8:32 a.m.

"Some Like it Hot" is an all-time classic. So many good lines and can't go wrong with Marilyn Monroe.

"Is my seam straight?" "I'll say"
    "Most of the time I slap it..."

• Y Ask Y Provo, UT
    March 2, 2018 8:28 a.m.

"Mandy Patinkin as the “inconceivably” beautiful Princess Buttercup"...

You keep using that name. I do not think it means who you think it means.

• trubludru Brigham City, UT
    March 2, 2018 8:13 a.m.

I sure hope Mandy Patinkin didn't play Buttercup. I have totally misunderstood this movie for years if he did. Mandy Patinkin played Inigo Montoya FYI.

• Tony1234 Farmington, UT
    March 2, 2018 8:07 a.m.

Good list. You might want to check your actors/actresses on Princess Bride. Mandy Patinkin was Inigo Montoya, not Princess Buttercup (Robin Wright).