Sequel to 'The Other Side of Heaven' will tell the rest of Elder John H. Groberg's story

• Eden ,
    Dec. 25, 2018 3:27 a.m.

I agree that for many, watching stories about Christian Latter-Day-Saints' lives will enrich their own. But what is most important to gain from the first movie is Elder Groberg's example of keeping the commandments of God in the face of pressing opposition. He stayed morally clean. He loved and served the Lord through loving and serving his fellow man on God's terms. He did not pass judgement on those who either did not like him or who would abuse him. He cared about teaching the Gospel of Jesus Christ to the Tongan people more than his own comforts. And this movie takes this amazing man of God and makes him so tangible and relatable such that the viewer may catch the value of the principles that Elder Groberg lived by and did not vary from. It's so wonderful how real and imperfect his character is expressed through the movie. It only lends charisma to take the truths of the movie to the hearts of the viewers

• Nachtmerrie_in_Brugge Mesa, AZ
    March 2, 2018 10:40 p.m.

You're giving Anne Hathaway too much credit for the success of "The Other Side of Heaven."

1. At the time of the film's release, Anne Hathaway was not exactly a household name.
    2. Christopher Gorham carried the first film. Ms. Hathaway had relatively little screen time.

I look forward to the sequel!

• Cav Pilot St George, UT
    March 2, 2018 2:23 p.m.

I am pretty sure that Jesus said that the poor would always be with us, so "solving" poverty is prophesied to never happen.
    it will require two things to "solve" poverty.
    1. the least important, is for the rich to be willing to part with their earnings.
    2. the most important, is for the poor to be willing to put forth their best effort. In the US, and most of western civilization, that doesn't happen. More often than not, the "poor" stand there with a hand out waiting for it to be filled. the few instances in scripture that we read that there "were no poor among them" were instances where everyone contributed their best efforts and nobody waited for somebody else to take care of them.

as far as fasting and prayer not helping...part of fasting is making a contribution of the cost of the meals that you fasted for, and giving it to an organization that helps the poor far better than any government agency ever will.

• crimendelsiglo where there ain't no freaking snow, UT
    March 2, 2018 10:51 a.m.

perennial contributor " moresureword"
    if you know anything you know that LDS fasting contributions make a significant change in a world that is hard to change. those massive contributions come seasonally; they come to conditions that are as ageless as you. others who fast and pray, and those that don't, and yet donate $ equally contribute to those changes.
    denial is a terrible failure

• Just want to know...... Northern Utah, UT
    March 1, 2018 3:37 p.m.

Can't wait! The last movie was wonderful!!

• Yosh Los Angeles, CA
    March 1, 2018 11:14 a.m.

“Tom, I want you to write a book about your missionary experiences in Tonga,” Elder Groberg recalled ......

Isn't Elder Groberg's name John?

• worf McAllen, TX
    March 1, 2018 10:09 a.m.

John Groberg was my teacher for two classes at Ricks College many years ago.

Perhaps I could have a spot in the movies.

• moresureword Maple Grove, MN
    March 1, 2018 7:43 a.m.

“'The entire nation of Tonga, all the people of every faith united in fasting and praying for that little boy’s life . ... [I]t’s not a Mormon movie at all. It’s a broader movie about faith and love.”

Fasting and prayer are not a Tongan practice, but rather a Mormon practice. No religion practices fasting and prayer as religiously as do Mormons. Without the influence of the LDS Church in Tonga, there would have been no fasting and prayer for the boy's life; and medical attention would have been the sole focus.

What have fasting and prayer done for the poor and the downtrodden throughout Earth? Billions of human beings continue to suffer, because we think that we can fast and pray for them, rather than provide them with the basics for human survival--adequate food, clothing, health care and education.

Our Christ warned us that we will not be found on his right hand, if we do not solve poverty and suffering, by providing the basics needed to live. (See Matthew 25.)

• DarthMaul Vernal, UT
    March 1, 2018 2:14 a.m.

Christopher Gorham never ages. I have no idea what Folau looks like these days and Hathaway is so busy and making more money than she knows what to do with it, but I'm looking forward to seeing this sequel. The Other Side of Heaven was just one of those movies that is just plain fun to watch.

• joanzone42 Orem, Utah
    Feb. 28, 2018 1:52 p.m.

The sequel will be a hit because people will remember how the first one made them feel. With the talents of those who are re-creating the spirit of that wonderful movie, it could be better than the original. Can't wait to see it!!

• artsy Billings, MT
    Feb. 28, 2018 12:15 p.m.

I'm so excited for the sequel to The Other Side of Heaven! I have watched it so many times, I think I have it memorized. I can't wait! I think Natalie Medlock will be awesome playing Jean. I am excited that some of the other original stars will be back, as well!

• Sonny N. Bright Taylorsville, UT
    Feb. 28, 2018 6:23 a.m.

We’re thrilled for this sequel. I disagree that without Anne Hathaway it won’t be as good, altyshe was great in the first film. It’s the subject matter, the truthfulness and historical nature of the story and the involvement of people like Davis and Christensen that will make the film great. Very excited!

• I_believe Draper, UT
    Feb. 28, 2018 2:59 a.m.

This is fantastic news, I loved "The Other Side of Heaven" and look forward to part 2.

Elder Groberg had a most interesting experience and I'm grateful he has the courage and desire to share it with the world. Having Mitch Davis as director again, is icing on the cake--may it make $100 million the first week on the street.!

• Cougargal PARKER, CO
    Feb. 27, 2018 10:39 p.m.

Great to have Christopher Gorham back, but without Anne Hathaway, it won't be nearly as good!