Utah House committee endorses bill to remove 'This is a restaurant' signs

• Weston Jurney West Jordan, UT
    Feb. 28, 2018 1:51 p.m.

Nice to see a glimmer of common sense once in a while.

NOTICE: This post is a comment, not a hippopotamus.

• H. Bob Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 27, 2018 3:44 p.m.

"I would hate to walk into a grocery store thinking that I was walking into a tire store."

Funny enough, the best tamales in Salt Lake City come from Victor's Tires. So . . . maybe we do need laws like this. /s

• 65TossPowerTrap Salmon, ID
    Feb. 27, 2018 9:05 a.m.

"Utah appears to be the first state in the country to require such notice. State officials say the intent is to avoid any confusion about what customers are walking into."

Exactly - only in Utah. Do you have signs that say "This is a gas station" - "This is a grocery store" - "This is a clothing store" - "This is a tire store"? I mean, I would hate to walk into a grocery store thinking that I was walking into a tire store.

• Lagomorph Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 27, 2018 8:46 a.m.

Article: "It requires the more than 1,400 establishments licensed to serve alcohol in Utah to prominently display 8 ½-by-11-inch signs reading, 'This premise is licensed as a BAR not a restaurant' or 'This premise is licensed as a RESTAURANT not a bar.'"

Actually, the signs must read, "This premises is licensed as a BAR not a restaurant" or "This premises is licensed as a RESTAURANT not a bar." Like srw, I have been irked by the ungrammatical statements (in addition to the wholly unnecessary notice). It is interesting that reporter Romboy, the DesNews copy editor, or possibly autocorrect, found it compelling to fix the state's mandated syntax error in the story. It renders the article slightly factually incorrect, but how I do appreciate not reading that awkward sentence one last time. I'm glad to see it go, but I know that it will be replaced by some other hastily considered bit of foolishness. The legislature has a stellar record in that regard.

• Strider303 American Fork, UT
    Feb. 27, 2018 8:10 a.m.

If I walk into an establishment with the bar as the main object of "furniture" and observe that most people are imbibing and only light finger foods are being served I conclude it must be a bar. I don't need a sign.

Another clue or two are the neon signs in the window, Budweiser being a hint.

The law was so ridiculous when passed I really was glad the legislature only meets 45 days a year.

• ConservativeCommonTater West Valley City, UT
    Feb. 27, 2018 7:51 a.m.

Utah is also the only state run by a theocracy that "eschews" alcohol. The signs only showed how simple minded the people and legislators of Utah are. It is a great source of self imposed ridicule.

• EPJ Grantsville, UT
    Feb. 27, 2018 6:23 a.m.

This is not a State Legislature.
    This is an organization of lobbyist-bought self profiteers.

• AlSwearengen Ogden, UT
    Feb. 26, 2018 8:25 p.m.

Why were these signs needed in the first place?

• cjb Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 26, 2018 7:59 p.m.

Alcohol certainly can be used unwisely. However let's keep in mind that Jesus made wine ( John 2 ). He also had a reputation as one who drank wine heartily ( Luke 7:34 ).

• oaklandaforlife Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 26, 2018 7:45 p.m.

Holly Ned, Utah is finally starting to grow up. Now, let's talk about the removal of the silly signs on the "OTHER" establishments.

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    Feb. 26, 2018 7:12 p.m.

It's time to grow up Utah. If your kids, who have been conditioned since birth to think alcohol is evil, are so tempted to drink if they see drinks being poured, perhaps you need to avoid all places that sell drinks.

• srw Riverton, UT
    Feb. 26, 2018 6:59 p.m.

I, too, will be grateful if those signs are removed, as "this premises" and "this premise" are incorrect ways to refer to a building.