What's the best restaurant in Salt Lake City, Park City and Utah? We just found out

• Shaun Sandy, UT
    Feb. 21, 2018 7:08 p.m.

Copper onion is really good. The Cuban sandwich is the best.

• Jim Schwartz Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Feb. 21, 2018 6:22 p.m.

If you believe that Greeks (the Skedros family in this instance) make the best Chinese food, the Mandarin is for you.

Stin yeia sou!

• andyjaggy American Fork, UT
    Feb. 21, 2018 4:49 p.m.

I grew up going to the Mandarin and I remember it being very good. I haven't been in years and have heard from various people that it is not what it used to be. I am very suspect of anyone who claims it's not as good as PF Changs though, as I have found PF Changs to be pretty lackluster. In the end food reviews are pretty worthless, there are times when it's pretty obvious a place is horrible, or fantastic, but for 90% of restaurants it depends almost entirely on someone's personal preference for food, what they ordered, who was cooking that night, how hungry they were etc.......

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 21, 2018 3:16 p.m.

I like Mandarin, I know it has it's detractors but the biggest issue here is how awful the restaurant options are in Davis County. People line up for such bad food and act like it's the greatest thing they've ever had.
    If Red Iguana were to open a location at Station Park in Farmington, they would do so well.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Feb. 21, 2018 2:57 p.m.

@Avenues Kid

"Why is Valter’s nowhere to be found?"

Because Valter's isn't actually that good. You go there to converse with Valter, not because of the overrated and overpriced food.

• Lpask Morgan, UT
    Feb. 21, 2018 12:06 p.m.

There are many more excellent restaurant's outside SLC and PC. What about them/

• Avenues Kid Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 21, 2018 10:50 a.m.

Why is Valter’s nowhere to be found? Makes the whole ranking suspect.

• Foxtrot Mountain View, CA
    Feb. 21, 2018 9:56 a.m.

@PLM - I agree with you 100% Mandarin definitely has historical hype, but when my family and i moved back from the Bay Area we went there hoping for the best, but walked away feeling that it was a Chinese restaurant stuck in the 70s. PF Changs is better. I might also suggest you try Mom's Kitchen on State St in SLC. In my opinion, the best Chinese (well Taiwanese) food I have tried. It rivals the Bay, which is a high compliment.

• teeme73 Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 21, 2018 9:55 a.m.

Is it just me or does it seem at times like those who want to promote areas like the 9th & 9th area seems to push their exclusive selections, regardless of truth? Sad when you can see a pattern of partiality. Desnews should probably get a more varied panel to promote more than cliquey opinions.

• PLM Kaysville, UT
    Feb. 21, 2018 8:46 a.m.

This article also shows how important a PR buzz is. The Mandarin, in Bountiful I assume, is so-so but is widely praised. I prefer P.F. Chang's in Salt Lake. (BTW, I am a caterer and cookbook author.) It appears that if you get the momentum of public opinion behind you, quality be darned; think the Emperor's new clothes.

• mohokat Ogden, UT