Screens stole your family? Here's how to regain control

• OlderGreg USA, CA
    Feb. 26, 2018 10:12 a.m.

Re phones in church: I can now carry it all in one hand (physical burden of ounces) instead of pounds of totes, manuals, etc

They are church-endorsed tools. Like most everything else in the world, they can be used or
    abused.

• Pale Bear Orem, UT
    Feb. 20, 2018 8:12 a.m.

@Brent T.
    You are right, and know I'm justifying. I hate what my children have become in connection to tech. This is one of those huge things I wish I had known earlier in their lives. They are addicted. But if tech were removed, there would be a huge void. I worry how that void would be filled.

It's a very good recommendation to keep your kids off tech if you start out that way. But since I didn't, I'm not sure how to fix it.

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    Feb. 19, 2018 11:12 p.m.

Family gatherings are altogether different today from even ten years ago. I wish parents had the courage to check cell phones in a basket at the door at such gatherings. It would be wonderful to actually be able to sit and converse with everyone without this annoying distraction. People can live without checking their messages every few minutes.

Same goes for Church. It's very annoying to see people on cell phones constantly. I leave mine home so there is no temptation. This seems to be the addiction of our times!

• Seldom Seen Smith Orcutt, CA
    Feb. 19, 2018 8:33 p.m.

May I suggest the book The Shallows (by Nicholas Carr), in hard copy. It absolutely destroys the argument that people need smart phones or that it makes them more advanced.

• Brent T. Aurora CO Aurora, CO
    Feb. 19, 2018 4:46 p.m.

Pale Bear it sounds like the bar on "Good, Better, Best" got considerably lowered. While your perspective is certainly understandable, even accurate, it is the essence of justification to say "at least I'm not ______."

• KJR Sequim, WA
    Feb. 19, 2018 11:58 a.m.

Ironically, a "screen" used by be something that you put on your doors and windows to keep vermin out of your house. Now, a screen is something that lets vermin into your house. Know this also, that in the last days perilous times shall come . . .

• Pale Bear Orem, UT
    Feb. 19, 2018 9:05 a.m.

My kids are addicted to tech. They get downright angry when they are pulled away. They ignore what's going on around them, meaning the rest of the family. But here's the thing: my kids don't do drugs. They turn to tech for excitement rather than pot, which is becoming a recreational tool for junior high kids with "nothing else to do." Yes they should be working and serving and enjoying life around them, and mine don't do that enough. But I'd rather have them on an iPad than getting high.