Letter: Expensive Olympics ads

• What in Tucket Provo, UT
    Feb. 12, 2018 2:56 p.m.

Since we have over 100 welfare agencies and counting why not an agency to oversee advertising expenditures. I won't be watching the Olympics. We already have the driveby media swooning about North Korea the longest and most repressive govt in history.

• Richard Larson Galt, CA
    Feb. 9, 2018 9:18 a.m.

So you are from West Valley......

• The Real Maverick Spanish Fork, UT
    Feb. 8, 2018 11:10 a.m.

I think the real concern is where does Utah have the money to throw at bribing the IOC to give us the Olympics again?

If we don't have enough money for education and health care, then we certainly don't have the money to throw away at games.

I'll agree to throw money at the games if the lovely legislature can get us into the top 15 in money spent per pupil. Until then, forget the games! Lets focus on spending money on education and health care and not just enriching a handful of ski resorts and legislators.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    Feb. 8, 2018 8:29 a.m.

What do you care? It's business, and any cost for advertising anywhere is a business decision. Private money, not yours.

• Utah Girl Chronicles Eagle Mountain, UT
    Feb. 7, 2018 9:59 p.m.

NBC pays nothing for in-house promos. What a silly thing to be concerned about.

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    Feb. 7, 2018 8:22 p.m.

Is the question "How can the NBC Olympics afford to advertise on an NBC TV Event"?
    I'm betting NBC, their parent company, gave them a coupon.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Feb. 7, 2018 7:24 p.m.

NBC has a multi billion dollar agreement with the IOC, and will offer apparently nearly 2000 hours of coverage of these games.
    Can you imagine what an ad they run during the final few days of marquee events goes for?
    Yes, they can afford a couple ads on the Superbowl. Besides, I don't know about you, but I don't own stock in NBC or its' parent company.
    So, in the end it probably doesn't matter whether their superbowl ads were a good idea or not. I think back to the superbowl ad a few years ago that featured a dancing chimp standing on a boom box between two guys in lawn chairs in a garage, all dancing and clapping to 'La Cucaracha'. At the end of the ad the text noted that the advertiser just wasted two million dollars. It wasn't my money. The ad was funny.