Why so many women don't like how they look, and the movement to change that

• Uteofferouus Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 29, 2018 10:33 a.m.

What is needed in both women and men is character! Physical appearance means nothing if the person lacks morality and character.

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    Jan. 28, 2018 11:42 p.m.

Physical beauty doesn't matter much. It will attract men, but it won't keep the right type of men. There always has to be something more to maintain a long-term relationship. But, I do realize there are both men and women who aren't looking for anything long-term. Hopefully we can all find long-term happiness.

• NotSoNaive Lehi, UT
    Jan. 26, 2018 10:00 a.m.

President Elder Uchtdorf very effectively gave the inspired solution in the Women's General Conference in October 2017, Sister Glad. It applies to brothers as well.

• themoreyouknow Hurricane, UT
    Jan. 26, 2018 12:10 a.m.

SarahCochran - you said it perfectly- "It is disturbing that American women believe that their worth is dependent on their attractiveness...".
    I used to work with adolescent and young adult females for several years. It was so disheartening when they would be so vulnerable to esteem dependent on what they thought others valued of their physical appearance. They often even demonstrated fear that education would be something that could decrease their appeal. Many only had mentors who saw themselves the same way.
    That said, as the first female college graduate in my family, in one of my courses a professor noted that the common factor behind first time college attendance in a family is someone, even just one person, who showed them they could. I tried to make it a point to let each young woman i worked with know that they had education opportunities and that i believed they could succeed. I tried to avoid language associated with their physical attributes and focused on their minds, and their goodness. I told them about the women and men who encouraged me.

• "Hakuna Matata" Vernal, UT
    Jan. 25, 2018 8:40 p.m.

How about, we have way too much time on our hands to put so much stress on our ourselves.

• Roadside Philosopher Fayette, UT
    Jan. 25, 2018 6:06 p.m.

I watch movies and TVs. I get ticked off that only pretty young things can play a part in a show but men can be fat, ugly and competent. Women can only be labeled as competent if they are proper eye candy as well.
    This is what is leading the negative self-image vision. You need to be a princess or beautiful to be considered of value., where as a guy is good as whatever. Even geeks that were downtrodden have won respect, but if your older woman with less than high-heeled showpiece of a body... your not a woman of value. Hence There is no reasonable image of women as they are.

• Goldminer Salem, UT
    Jan. 25, 2018 5:26 p.m.

An excellent article! Women have SO much more intellect, beauty, character, love, etc than many men. I married a woman who was (and still is) VERY intellectual and who has raised our kids extremely well. I am very grateful to our Lord for bringing her into contact with me.

• Fabulous Jen Eagle Mountain, UT
    Jan. 25, 2018 4:18 p.m.

I wish everyone were as comfortable in their own skin as I am in mine. If I woke up every morning worrying about what society thought of me, I would be a complete mental case!

• SarahCochran Provo, UT
    Jan. 25, 2018 2:46 p.m.

The sentence "Equally disturbing: Only about 1 in 10 American women consider themselves to be very attractive, and nearly one-quarter says they are not very attractive or that they are unattractive" is bolstering this problem.

It is not disturbing that American women consider themselves unattractive. It is disturbing that American women believe that their worth is dependent on their attractiveness, which sentences like this support.

Thanks.