Utah faith leaders refer to Joseph Smith in urging lawmakers to pass victim targeting bill

• jeanie orem, UT
    Jan. 24, 2018 8:20 a.m.

It seems to me that intentions to hurt others are hate crimes, regardless of the reason.

• rmk South Jordan, UT
    Jan. 23, 2018 7:28 p.m.

We are adding more laws that duplicate laws we all ready have. These laws then get abused. This is a hate crimes Bill with a different name.

• No One Of Consequence West Jordan, UT
    Jan. 23, 2018 7:27 p.m.

All criminals are equal but some criminals are more equal than others?

• mallow Pleasant Grove, UT
    Jan. 23, 2018 7:24 p.m.

I agree that crimes committed because of prejudice of any kind are heinous, but who decides if that was the motive for the crime? Rarely is there real proof, and as already stated, laws should apply to all. If someone murders me, I'm dead regardless of their reason. Ditto all crimes. I think this law, like many others is superfluous.

• christoph Brigham City, UT
    Jan. 23, 2018 5:57 p.m.

Some dislike faith, and unity in community and leadership in civilization. Let's make bill also to allow greater freedom of thought and conscience. Many throw names at people of faith and this goes unpunished, as it should, because we can't punish freedom of speech. Wish we could have outlawed most Hollywood movies the last 50 years.

• Thomas Paine South Jordan, UT
    Jan. 23, 2018 5:41 p.m.

Motive is an important factor in punishing a crime.
    A mother, who stole a loaf of bread to feed her starving children should be punished less severely than a woman who stole bread from because the baker was Jewish.
    Both committed the same crime, but one was more damaging to society. This should be a factor when dispensing justice.

• bamafone Salem, UT
    Jan. 23, 2018 5:25 p.m.

No more laws are needed, we have adequate laws to handle all crimes. Lawmakers should use their time to reduce taxes on the citizens of this State, otherwise adjourn early and go home.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Jan. 23, 2018 5:20 p.m.

"Any time the victim of a crime is liberal, homosexual, or a racial minority, police and prosecutors investigate looking for evidence of a hate crime, rather than just a regular crime whose victim happened to be part of a politically favored group."
    Do you really think all of that statement is true? As a liberal by definition (I'm not a Utah conservative, and that's the only other pigeon hole there is), my experience with crime and the response to it is that it is just that...it's crime. For whatever sake crime is committed. Gay people get stuff stolen out of their yards. Minorities get hit by uninsured drivers. It's not a hate crime. But hate crime is real, and big ol' rednecks with offensive bumper stickers are rarely it's victims. I don't see that such a generalised statement is at all true. Even if you say 'believe me' at the end of it.

• MaxPower Eagle Mountain, UT
    Jan. 23, 2018 5:09 p.m.

@3grandslams

In a crime there are often what we call mitigating circumstances, items which make a crime less severe and aggravating circumstances which make a crime more severe.

For example, if I’m pulled over for speeding, and it’s because I’m rushing my wife to the hospital because she’s in labor, there is a good chance I wouldn’t get fined. I still broke the law though.

However in the same scenario, but now I’m speeding in an area in which kids often play. I’m still speeding, but we have determined this is a more serious crime.

• a_voice_of_reason Woods Cross, UT
    Jan. 23, 2018 5:06 p.m.

So, I already struggle with the concept of "hate crime." Does it matter why somebody committed a crime? Shouldn't the punishment fit the crime rather than the motive? That being said, my confusion with this bill is that we already have hate crimes? How is this bill and the letter advocating it advocating for anything any different than hate crimes? Basically saying a crime is worse if you've targeted an individual because of they are fill-in-the-blank. I don't understand the need that is unfilled.

• NoNamesAccepted St. George, UT
    Jan. 23, 2018 4:15 p.m.

Sadly, it is the way current hate crime laws are applied so unevenly when it comes to the LDS Church that makes me oppose any expansion.

These laws are written to me neutral. So a heterosexual couple targeted for their sexuality is, in theory, provided the same protections as is a homosexual couple. An LDS congregation the same protections as a black liberation theology church. A BSA office the same protections as a planned parenthood or pride center. A white guy the same protections as a racial minority. In theory.

In reality, the situation is far different. Any time the victim of a crime is liberal, homosexual, or a racial minority, police and prosecutors investigate looking for evidence of a hate crime, rather than just a regular crime whose victim happened to be part of a politically favored group.

But when an LDS church is vandalized, when a white guy with a southern bumper sticker on his truck is assaulted by someone who expressed dislike for his bumper sticker, those crimes are presumed to be just regular, non-bias crimes.

Hate crimes exist. But these days hate crime laws look like a way to punish politically incorrect words more than anything else.

• 3grandslams Eagle Mountain, UT
    Jan. 23, 2018 3:12 p.m.

We should really stop thin slicing all the categories of hate crimes. We should sometime should come to our senses and demand very harsh punishment for any violent act towards anybody. When categories are created, the tendency is to prefer a category over another. A punch in the nose is a punch in the nose, it should be punished the same no matter what.