Salt Lake FanX? Website signals official name change for Salt Lake Comic Con

New name comes alongside duel in post-trial motions

• Rain_Man Portland, OR
    Jan. 18, 2018 1:24 p.m.

Really thought they were going to rule the other way on this one given there are so many events called "comic cons." Wacky. Either way it's a killer event that can stand on its own. I agree with the naming contest idea. Of course it could backfire like Boaty McBoatface...

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    Jan. 18, 2018 9:05 a.m.

This doesn't make a lot of sense because "Comic Con" was in use long before San Diego Comic Con even existed. Not sure why that evidence wasn't allowed.

The amount of people who think Comic Con only applies to San Diego certainly is such a small percentage of the public that it might actually be zero.

Regardless of the lack of common-sense logic, it is time to move on. FanX it is.

• Den Den West Jordan, UT
    Jan. 18, 2018 8:51 a.m.

Could it also be that they don't want to pay the fees associated with the"Comic con" affiliation?

• Western Rover Herriman, UT
    Jan. 18, 2018 7:54 a.m.

"comic con was a limitation because sometimes people gave us a hard time for not bringing in more comic artists":
    Why did they choose that name in the first place? I missed the first SL Comic Con because I assumed it was focused on comic books. I only got interested in it the second year after I heard that it was actually broader.

• imsmarterthanyou Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 18, 2018 7:11 a.m.

I find it hard to believe that anyone really cares.

• bjutah American Fork, UT
    Jan. 18, 2018 6:57 a.m.

When I hear "comic con" I don't think of a specific event location or think of a trademark. Of course I'm not a $400/hr trial lawyer. And I haven't read a comic book since I was maybe 16, I'm only moderately entertained by the endless parade of superhero movies, and I haven't ever attended a comic convention. Although, I do like Big Bang Theory and their superhero costumes.

I've got to think that lawyers laughed all the way to the bank on this one, what with San Diego's $4.5 million lawyer fees alone. Does San Diego think they are really going to recoup that just by having sole use of "comic con"? And the article intimates that there are lots more comic conventions around the country that uses "comic con" in their names.

SLC should have seen this coming, what with the trial being held in ultra liberal California. Maybe they should hold a naming contest for their comic convention, since there are millions of fans who could come up with a better name than "FanX Salt Lake Comic Convention". Maybe offer a grand prize to the winner. Maybe it would generate a lot of publicity. Try these names out for size:

Salt Lake Comic Superhero Con