UTOPIA to offer fastest internet service in the country

• J B Patterson Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 14, 2018 8:31 p.m.

I've had UTOPIA Fiber through Xmission for 5 years, pay about $60/month, and have blazing fast speeds. This allows for 3 people with work at home call center jobs to be writhing at the same time while 3 others are streaming movies and playing on WiFi connected devices without any drop in speeds. It also allowed me do dump satellite and cable t.v.

Right now, I don't think I'll ever use 10 Gbits/second, but I'm glad the open is available.

The way things are going, Internet access really should be treated as a utility. So come on, cities, expand UTOPIA in your area!

• majmajor Layton, UT
    Jan. 11, 2018 3:23 p.m.

Zabilde - Riverdale, UT
    Jan. 11, 2018 6:10 a.m.
    "Now if they would only cut the initial hookup cost. Google Fiber is able to do it without charging $2700 for the initial connection."

Your info is bad. You can pay $2700 and not pay the Utopia fee ($30 per month), or just pay the monthly fee. Utopia provides the equipment/fiberoptic line(above $30), and a local internet provider provides the connection/speed ($35 for 250 speed, around $45 for 1000)

• Third try screen name Mapleton, UT
    Jan. 11, 2018 12:32 p.m.

Nice commercial. How do I get one from DN for my business?

When I think UTOPIA I think of government subsidies and mandatory fees for people who don't even use the service.

Suddenly they sound like a darling. Hmm.

• majmajor Layton, UT
    Jan. 11, 2018 11:30 a.m.

Let’s see if the Desnews censors let this though.

I’m a new Utopia customer and couldn’t be happier. I got tired of the worst customer service from the COMCAST monopoly.

For most things, I am one that believes that market based products/Services offer the best outcomes. In this case, I couldn’t be more wrong. Comcast has no competition and is a bloated dinosaur that is dying, and it lack of customer support is typical of an antiquated company that is basing its future on old technology.

Comcast also doesn’t support net neutrality. Xmission/Utopia are local companies that are net neutral. My 250 Xmission Service is 5X faster then the same crappy Comcast “service.”

• Chuck Gilmore Centerville, UT
    Jan. 11, 2018 11:28 a.m.

I also love Utopia. It's wonderful! If I ever sell my home and move from Centerville, it will only be to a city with Utopia! There's no comparison between the pricing and service I get from Utopia/Xmission vs. Comcast. I'm so glad Centerville and past Mayor Ron Russell had the vision and foresight to get Utopia for our city.

• JeremyR Murray, UT
    Jan. 11, 2018 10:33 a.m.

I've been a UTOPIA customer going on five years now, and it just keeps getting better. I can't imagine what I'd ever do with 10Gbps, but that's only because the application hasn't been invented yet :-) The "basic" 250Mbps service is more than enough for me, but it's nice to know that faster options exist--and the "ludicrous speed" option demonstrates the impressive flexibility of the network.

For those who would like to see more (or, in some cases, any) broadband competition in your area: Contact your city council representative and/or mayor and ask them to do a feasibility study. UTOPIA is a municipal network--owned by its member cities--and so they can't just expand wherever they want. Your city has to "ante up," and yes, building a fiber network does cost some money and take some time.

Finally, as for the up-front connection fee, that hasn't been a requirement since at least five years ago when I signed up. Paying up front is still an option, but one can also opt to pay $30/month (with a 12-month commitment). I think there was an install fee of $100, but they may not even charge that anymore.

Simply put, if UTOPIA is available to you, there's no reason to use anything else.

• ezfisher Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 11, 2018 9:20 a.m.

I have lived in a UTOPIA city the whole time UTOPIA has been around, and still do not have it in my area. I keep hearing promises, but getting no results. I think the Macquarie deal sounded great, but there seemed to be too many naysayers who could not see the value in a fiber network.

• samhill Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 11, 2018 9:08 a.m.

I just passed the 40 year mark since I started dabbling in computers. It doesn't seem that long ago when people were talking about the "indulgence" of having computers on their desks, then the unimaginable capacity of **5 Mb** hard-drives inside them with as much as 128 Kbytes of RAM!! Incredible!!

I must admit to some astonishment when I now plug a 128Gb microSD card, with the functioning chip inside that is much smaller than my fingernail, into one of several devices that use them, or watch streaming video on either my laptop or flat screen TV. Or, consider the ability to communicate, virtually instantaneously, with anyone, anywhere in the world within reach of a cell tower and/or WiFi signal. And on and on, etc., etc.

The fact that we now have the option (in selected cities) to hook up our homes to the Internet, something that was only barely in the conception phase when I started programming computers, at a speed that would completely swamp the biggest network channels just a couple decades ago, is beginning to seem yawningly routine. Which is the most amazing thing of all!

• DarthMaul Vernal, UT
    Jan. 11, 2018 7:59 a.m.

Wow! The fastest? I can see a possible buyout offer in the future from big conglomerate competitors. Seems like monopoly is the name of the game these days.

• Fibonacci Centerville, UT
    Jan. 11, 2018 7:49 a.m.

I've had gigabit speed internet through Utopia (Sumofiber) for 6 years in Centerville. I couldn't be happier with the service. By switching to Utopia I saved $85 per month over my Comcast triple play bill. My "break even" after installation costs was about 2 years, not counting the speed increase from "up to" 20Mbps "down" and 5 mbps "up" - to a consistent 900Mbps up and down. I've never looked back. Thank you to our forward thinkers who brought us Utopia. I hope it continues to grow and provides others this marvelous service & value.

• bikeboy Boise, ID
    Jan. 11, 2018 7:38 a.m.

UTOPIA, huh? I s'pose if you live your life staring at a screen, maybe super-fast bandwidth would seem very utopia-ish. (Is that a fancy acronym, or just Utopia?)

Stay tuned for UTOPIA's competitors - NIRVANA (11Gb) and CELESTIAL (12Gb)!
    (-;

• GQ Monkee Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 11, 2018 7:35 a.m.

You can opt out of the hookup fee by paying a monthly connection fee to UTOPIA. I pay $30 each month for the connection and $35 to another provider for service. That's $65 for the fastest speeds I've ever had for both uploads and downloads. There is no data limit. There is no hassle.

• Zabilde Riverdale, UT
    Jan. 11, 2018 6:10 a.m.

Now if they would only cut the initial hookup cost. Google Fiber is able to do it without charging $2700 for the initial connection. Utopia would see their customer base explode if it weren't so expensive to get started with them. And that would more than pay for the initial hook-up costs. Many more monthly subscribers would make more money than the few that have sprung for the hook-up fee.

• Susan Quinton Draper, UT
    Jan. 10, 2018 11:06 p.m.

Please bring your internet to all of Utah- we’re so tired of the monopolies of Comcast and CenturyLink and no one else. Competition would be great...

• gee-en Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 10, 2018 9:15 p.m.

Love, love, love my UTOPIA service. I've had it for about a year and it is by far, far, far the best price, speed, service and reliability of any internet service I have ever had. No one else even comes close.