Dramatic video shows wild police shootout on I-15

• Cactus Pete Centerville, UT
    Jan. 11, 2018 2:22 p.m.

One opinion - west jordan, UT

Police in Polk County Florida shot a suspected cop killer 68 times. Later when the press asked Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd why they shot him so many times he explained: “That’s all the bullets we had or we would have shot him more”.

After the FBI was asked to review the case against the police they said “After careful consideration, we concluded that the evidence does not establish a prosecutable violation of the federal civil rights statutes. Accordingly, we have closed our investigation.”

True story that Snopes has verified to be accurate.

• Ben there, Done that! Sun Prairie, WI
    Jan. 11, 2018 11:46 a.m.

The other suggestion is to deploy small drones that get in front of the car to show allow live video feed. Employing technology is worth exploring to minimize risk and get intelligence for stops like these.

Many times they do do a remarkable job but this isn't one of them. It's OK to acknowledge deficiencies and areas to improve upon. And you can simulate the real things-the armed services do this routinely. Additionally, you can use your REAL experiences to learn from but if you say that is as good as it can get then you won't improve.

• IJ Hyrum, Ut
    Jan. 11, 2018 10:58 a.m.

Thank you to those officers who constantly put their lives on the line for us. I can't imagine what it would be like to go through something like this. They are trained well but training cannot simulate the real thing. Those of you critical of the officers need to remember that. They do a remarkable job!

• Thomas Jefferson Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 11, 2018 10:50 a.m.

@ Herbert Gravy - Salinas, CA

"Yes, it is so easy to criticize the police, the President, Congress or anyone else whose "moccasins" we have never walked in."

Fun too.

• Thomas Jefferson Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 11, 2018 10:06 a.m.

I believe this was necessary but it could have been done more safely. I also think every cop in every jurisdiction needs to have a body camera.

We are all judged on our work. If they cant face a little scrutiny and possibly criticism then they need to get a job somewhere else.

• Ben there, Done that! Sun Prairie, WI
    Jan. 11, 2018 8:41 a.m.

Just because you point out some problem and criticize (read critique) doesn't mean that you are being disrespectful.
    And no I don't have to be an expert to offer suggestions or point out problems. I can promise you that if you were in a war zone that those officers would be dead if they don't improve their marksmanship in the heat of the battle. For both their safety (Shoot to Kill) and the public's I would offer some suggestion:
    Get even more training on shooting when under pressure. If need be maybe they could pair up with some military agency that already hones those skills.
    With as many cops that they had at the beginning on a KNOWN threat I would follow a plan where you have 2 cops training their guns on the individual while another cop is trying confront the individual. I'm assuming that weapons were not drawn yet but hands were on their guns.
    When on a freeway by all means shoot as many bullets if shooting to the side of the road if not endangering anyone but if the car is speeding into traffic it has to be a rule to stop. The potential of killing multiple innocent people does not out weigh the desire to shoot the individual.

• slcftball Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 11, 2018 8:38 a.m.

Thank you police for protecting and serving.

• Herbert Gravy Salinas, CA
    Jan. 11, 2018 7:39 a.m.

😁

• mrjj69 bountiful, UT
    Jan. 11, 2018 5:23 a.m.

When i went through the police academy some years ago, the first thing they taught us is to make sure you know where EVERY bullet lands. To those who criticize the officers marksmanship. I doubt they have every been in a life or death struggle with a fugitive.

• riptide FR, 00
    Jan. 11, 2018 1:42 a.m.

Now that the video has been linked, I am more sympathetic to how little time the officers had for the initial split-second reaction. And I do appreciate them placing themselves in harm's way to protect the public from this dangerous man. At the same time, it is no less disturbing that the officers continued firing for a few seconds after he was no longer shooting and was already pulling into traffic, making their firing angle extremely dangerous. The time-stamp is 6:35 (still rush-hour) on a weeknight on I-15 and the video clearly shows lots of traffic going both directions. Their 72 bullets could have injured or even killed many more innocent people than they did. And I am appalled by the comments of the officer later in the video: "I emptied my gun, his windows were shattering ... [inaudible] ... I want to be there SO BAD to kill that [expletive]." I wonder what he said at 8:38-8:42 when the audio goes silent just before he says "...aww my tape's rolling, I shouldn't say that." Was that redacted by the Sheriff's Office, or was it just silenced for language by Deseret News?

• utahute69 Laguna Niguel, CA
    Jan. 10, 2018 11:09 p.m.

It is easy to understand that the police involved with this event felt threatened and fearful for their own life. However, the police have a responsibility to use their weapons in a manner that doesn't threaten the public in general. Overreaction on the part of police officers have caused many police agencies to call of car pursuits because too many innocent citizens were being killed from reckless and, in many time, needless pursuits. Having two citizen hit by random gun fire is either extremely unlikely or extremely reckless. This situation deserves a full investigation by independent police agencies to determine what actions can be taken, if any, to make certain that public safety isn't compromised needlessly.

• DaveWY Afton, WY
    Jan. 10, 2018 7:04 p.m.

Every officer is given an enormous amount of training with firearms. Those suggesting target practice have likely never had shots fired at them, nor had to approach an armed subject intent on killing them. There is little to no time to react and respond perfectly in every situation.
    This incident will certainly be reviewed multiple ways. There will be multiple perspectives on how to do it safer next time. No officer wants to injure an innocent bystander and at the same time it is nearly impossible to predict what further threat to police officers and innocent persons had this criminal been allowed to continue into the city. Prayers for those injured. And prayers as well for the officers who have to withstand the criticism of those who have no idea how difficult it is to stop an active shooter. Thank you heroes.

• Harrison Bergeron Holladay , UT
    Jan. 10, 2018 6:27 p.m.

Thanks for adding the video.

For those criticizing the police. See how well you shoot when someone is shooting at you.

Just sayin'.

• Mainly Me Werribee, 00
    Jan. 10, 2018 5:55 p.m.

It's really easy for people to slam the police and Monday morning quarterback their actions. Have any of you ever put their life on the line to protect the public? Have any of you ever faced a person who would kill you if he gets the chance? I seriously doubt it. Anyone ever been in a combat situation? I seriously doubt that, too. Before you judge the officers' actions and the number of shots they fired, go through their training and then put yourself in the same situation. Put your own life on the line and then maybe you'll be qualified to judge.

• Gregory American Fork, UT
    Jan. 10, 2018 5:31 p.m.

Well handled by the police. Heroes.
    Thank you for protecting us.

• smkt121 Kaysville, UT
    Jan. 10, 2018 5:23 p.m.

Wow! I believe our police generally do a good job. How dangerous! Not only for the police but also for the innocent bystanders/drivers adjacent to this event. Hunters are always cautioned to look beyond the target to ensure that nothing else is in the line of fire. Are the police also trained the same way? It appears that such is not the case. I'm wondering if police followed protocol since two others were hit by police bullets. Is there anything more that should be investigated?

• Mack2828 Ft Thomas, KY
    Jan. 10, 2018 5:05 p.m.

If innocent people were hit...and they were... the officers were acting in a reckless and inappropriate way. They should be held accountable.

• london_josh lincoln, CA
    Jan. 10, 2018 4:39 p.m.

I love the story and full support of the police but it made me laugh, 75 shots and only 3 not by police, and amazingly not a single cop or cop car was hit - probably because 72 bullets came from their direction against 3 that came at them.

• Jer-Bear Mapleton, UT
    Jan. 10, 2018 4:34 p.m.

Great and Superb job by the local Police!

We are all proud of the awesome work you all do!!!

• One opinion west jordan, UT
    Jan. 10, 2018 4:25 p.m.

75 shots? Come on - do the patrolmen need more target practice? Innocent people were hit by the patrolmen- not the criminal which indicates some kind of training is certainly needed here. I'm glad the criminal was apprehended and it was wise to close exits with police and all ended better than it could have. 75 shots blows me away (and almost others around)

• riptide FR, 00
    Jan. 10, 2018 3:37 p.m.

Yes, it sounds like they were justified in returning fire and had little other choice since he fired first and they of course need to defend themselves. It is very unfortunate that they shot an innocent person in the process. Perhaps nothing could have been done in this instance, like taking more care in the direction and angle they were firing to reduce the possibility of harming innocent people on the highway and surrounding areas. However, it doesn't surprise me at all because I have witnessed many times in which law enforcement here completely disregarded the safety of innocent bystanders when the possibility of gunfire was high, in pre-planned stings at a busy park near my home. Once each suspect arrived, 10-20 officers swarmed into the park in unmarked vehicles at dangerously high speed wearing bullet-proof vests and with guns drawn and pointed at the suspect. On some of those occasions, the officers' guns were pointed in the direction of the playground that was only feet away, while small children and their mothers were present. Not to mention the dangerous possibility of running over a child when flying blindly into the parking lot at high speed next to a playground.

• rural citizen Vernal, UT
    Jan. 10, 2018 2:47 p.m.

Opening line of the story reads: " More than 75 shots were exchanged, all but three of them from police. Amazingly, not one officer or even a law enforcement vehicle was hit."
    I guess I'm not so amazed that no shots hit law enforcement of their vehicles since only three of the 75 shots came from the suspect. What I am amazed at is that the suspect was able to drive off after having 72 shots fired at him or the vehicle. However, an innocent person 1600 feet away was hit in the shoulder and a Chevy Duramax was hit, narrowly missing a four year old.
    Based on that information, I would say officers badly need some target practice! The events described sound dangerous and reckless. There were more "casualties" from innocent people in the vicinity than from the perp. Sounds like there should be some very serious review of police procedures. What a scary event for anyone in the vicinity.

• Harrison Bergeron Holladay , UT
    Jan. 10, 2018 1:37 p.m.

With a title "Dramatic video shows..." wouldn't it make sense to include the video?

• Johnny Triumph Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 10, 2018 1:34 p.m.

I agree that law enforcement seems justified in their actions toward this man. But I also hope they're reviewing how to limit the adjacent damage to the other people.

I might have misread the article but was there no charge for discharging a firearm in Nephi? He should be charged with everything possible.