President Nelson signs new Mormon mission calls during apostolic interregnum

• dustman Gallup, NM
    Jan. 16, 2018 12:34 a.m.

Just a question: Does Nelson sign mission calls as prophet/president of the church, or does he sign as president of the quorum of the 12? Does he have to be sustained by the church as prophet before he acts as prophet?

• PacificCreek Puyallup, WA
    Jan. 11, 2018 1:25 p.m.

Most checks are 'signed' by a laser printer with a signature card. That doesn't make them less valid or worth less money.

I'm sure that the church had a plan in place for this eventuality and replaced President Monson's signature with President Nelson's. Just like the check that doesn't make the call any less real because it wasn't signed by hand.

• PacificCreek Puyallup, WA
    Jan. 11, 2018 12:30 p.m.

Wow. 410,442 missionaries were assigned under President Monson. That is an amazing number.

Have a call signed by the president of the 12 rather than the president of the church is pretty cool. Not many can say they have a letter like that!

• SBT Payson, UT
    Jan. 10, 2018 5:21 p.m.

QuantomKO - Don't forget Deuteronomy chapter 4 verse 2.
    Moses left the same admonition in his 5th book as the apostle John left in his 5th book that you pointed out.

2 Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the Lord your God which I command you.

It is the same for each and every prophet God has called and authorized, ancient and modern.

• QuantomKO Beverly Hills, CA
    Jan. 10, 2018 3:19 p.m.

the book of revelation isn't for anyone to "interpret". chapter 22 verses 18 and 19 are extremely clear on this issue. if you're living right there is no need to worry.

• hbeckett Colfax, CA
    Jan. 10, 2018 12:42 p.m.

the Lord calls his prophets when he decides to they all are men of God the priesthood of an apostle is the same for all of his servants in that calling the call to be a missionary comes from our savior even Jesus Christ the signature on a letter is just as valid because that is what we believe and that is our Testimony this is after all our fathers work to bring to pass the Eternal life of mankind

• bass679 Novi, MI
    Jan. 10, 2018 12:32 p.m.

@rdean92
    I would assume that due to the volume of calls going out that most use an autopen machine but it will still be President Nelson's signature attached to them.

• rdean92 Los Angeles, CA
    Jan. 10, 2018 10:45 a.m.

Would it be worth noting that most mission calls are signed by a signature machine?

• G L W8 SPRINGVILLE, UT
    Jan. 10, 2018 8:00 a.m.

The instance of who signed what is interesting. My call would have been signed by David O. McKay, as well as my bachelor's diploma--with Earnest L. Wilkinson as the co-signer. I think Joseph Fielding Smith would have signed my Master's diploma, with President Wilkinson again--I'll have to dig it out of my files.
    Presidents McKay and Smith's tenure cover the years I was serving as a branch president. President Spencer W. Kimball was, as an apostle, our mission supervisor and I had a personal interview with him while on my mission. My pre-mission interview was by S. Dilworth Young, a President of the Seventy at the time.
    I had a brother who had Bruce R. McKonkie as his mission president, and a Sister who had Robert Simpson, another general authority, as hers.
    We commonly had general authorities at our stake conferences when I was young and during our early married years.
    How times have changed!
    I'm not sure how many more new presidents I will see in my life. But I look forward to the new president's leadership--which will be Russell M. Nelson, unless precedent changes.

• bass679 Novi, MI
    Jan. 10, 2018 6:20 a.m.

@toosmartforyou
    That's actually pretty cool! President Hunter would have been signing from May 30th 1994 until March 3rd 1995. So probably only the winter semester of 1994 has his signature.

• emb Pleasant Grove, UT
    Jan. 10, 2018 4:10 a.m.

President Nelson will be a wonderful leader. Glad the work is moving forward. emb

• toosmartforyou Kaysville, UT
    Jan. 9, 2018 10:14 p.m.

I enjoyed what probably only about 5,000 others have---not sure about the exact number as the dates for graduation vary by semesters as well as the sizes of graduating classes---because I have a BYU degree with two signatures: Pres Harold B Lee and BYU President (at the time) Dallin H Oaks. Pres Lee was President of the Church for only about 18 months so not many degrees were signed by him. And I don't know if he was signing two full graduating classes in April or only one and others in December. At any rate, I treasure those signatures on that document. It would also be interesting to see how many President Howard W Hunter signed, too. Certainly President Kimball signed very many.

• NoNamesAccepted St. George, UT
    Jan. 9, 2018 6:56 p.m.

Kind of unique these days to have a mission call signed by the president of the 12 rather than by the president of the 1st presidency.

God bless these men for their service. It is not the retirement most would look forward to these days.