Utah native Christina Qi cracks Forbes' 30 Under 30 list

• carman Wasatch Front, UT
    Jan. 2, 2018 3:53 p.m.

To marxist:

re: "How do hedge funds add value to production, that is, how do hedge funds contribute to the SOCIAL surplus? "

Hedge funds, long-only funds, and other investors help set the correct price for capital in the market. In the short-run, markets are greedy and fearful, and mis-pricings occur. When LO and HF investors see these mis-pricings, they collectively take counter-trend positions which helps drive capital allocation to the most efficient businesses.

This is one of the main reasons why centrally planned economies fail to keep up with market driven economies; capital is not efficiently allocated to the best users of capital. Centralized decision makers often get far behind in their awareness of new products or services demanded by the market, cling to older and less efficient production and distribution systems, fail to recognize the benefits of new materials and technologies, and fail to reward entrepreneurs and business models that are taking advantage of new approaches and are meeting emerging demand for new products and services.

Progress is driven by allocating marginal capital to often overlooked business models. We all win when this happens.

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 2, 2018 2:45 p.m.

@NoNamesAccepted "@marxist: "I understand very little, "

The most accurate words ever written by a Marxist."

I knew someone who knows no Marxian economics would pounce on my statement. I meant that I know little about how a hedge fund functions, that is, how much it relies on algorithms vs relying on hunch and insider knowledge. But, anyway, glad to make your day.

Niall Ferguson in his various editions of "Ascent of Money" treats hedge funds, but not adequately. His videos are a good place to start however, and can be streamed on Youtube. He talks about Mereton and Scholes too. Enjoy.

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 2, 2018 2:24 p.m.

@JImInSLC "Front running the market with HFT does not help society, only helps the rich get richer."

I strongly suspect this. How do hedge funds add value to production, that is, how do hedge funds contribute to the SOCIAL surplus?

BTW, anyone else remember the hedge fund kings Mereton and Scholes? They devised a "fool proof" algorithm guaranteeing their fund's profits forever, but it was not quite forever. Their fund crashed. Did they give back their Nobel Prizes in economics? Should have.

Ms Cortez should return to her subject and get more information. I'd like to know more.

• NoNamesAccepted St. George, UT
    Jan. 2, 2018 1:00 p.m.

@marxist: "I understand very little, "

The most accurate words ever written by a Marxist.

As Reagan said, there are those who support Marxism and there are those who understand Marxism. But nobody who really understands Marxism supports Marxism.

I notice that the North Korean army is starving to death. I remember the bread limes of cold war Soviet Union. We read frequently of the dire situation in Venezuela. Cuba languishes in poverty.

Meanwhile, refugees who moved to the USA 20 years ago are now getting wealthy and enjoying the fruits of capitalism.

Marxism is failed and will always fail.

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    Jan. 2, 2018 11:51 a.m.

Congrats to her, as someone who used to work in her world, it is very tough to consistently win. The market constantly changes in response to winning strategies, so you have to constantly change your algorithms. And, if you don't predict correctly, you lose.

My firm did very well and grew tremendously on strategies that averaged about 60% correct.

This is something retail investors can't do for themselves. It requires co-located servers, continuous software updates and prescient strategists. And now, I would add machine learning.

• JimInSLC Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 2, 2018 11:25 a.m.

Impressive intelligent young woman. Hope that she can do something good with what she has accomplished. Front running the market with HFT does not help society, only helps the rich get richer.

• EDM Castle Valley, Utah
    Jan. 2, 2018 9:00 a.m.

As a fellow Utahan, this story makes me feel proud and happy to know that our public schools can propel students to great success — but not against some odds.

If we remember, several years ago the State Legislature took up great “concern” about the Internatioanl Baccalaureate program, an assault on the program led by Sen. Margaret Dayton. Now the proof is in the pudding, and I’m so happy that one of Utah’s newest stars credits the IB program specifically as part of her success. Cheers to Ms. Qi and her teachers.

• carman Wasatch Front, UT
    Jan. 2, 2018 8:35 a.m.

Great example of how opportunity in capitalist countries allows those on the lowest rungs to move to a better place. Education, hard work, a "failure-is-not-an-option" mentality and more hard work are the recipe. Sadly, the socialists and liberals convince too many that they are victims of the system, killing hope and motivation, and giving an excuse to check-out and not even try.

Well done Ms Qi.

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 2, 2018 1:11 a.m.

Ms Cortez, I wish you had asked Ms Qi something about how her hedge fund works. This was an opportunity to share some insider information with those of us on the very outside. As I understand it, and I understand very little, hedge funds manage risk and earn healthy returns for doing so.