New Utah laws: Extra hotel tax, end of car safety checks

• Cactus Pete Centerville, UT
    Dec. 30, 2017 1:34 p.m.

People who drink and drive, people on cell phones, and reckless drivers are the ones causing accidents. The car inspection shops are the ones complaining the most because it reduces their revenue when they can't replace a cracked windshield.

• MTerry SANDY, UT
    Dec. 30, 2017 11:55 a.m.

How can a vehicle with worn brakes, tires, burned out headlights, etc. not be a danger to its occupants as well as to all around it?

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    Dec. 30, 2017 10:36 a.m.

Does anyone see the hypocrisy of lowering the DUI BAC rate to .05% for "public safety". But eliminating inspections for your neighbor driving around on threadbare tires is "eliminating unnecessary government regulation"? Only in Utah.

• casual observer Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 30, 2017 9:29 a.m.

It would be useful if there were statistics to validate the proposition that safety checks improved vehicle safety. Otherwise it was a nice concept without a factual basis. On the other hand, requiring seat belts is evidence based. Good work legislature.

• Ben there, Done that! Sun Prairie, WI
    Dec. 30, 2017 8:18 a.m.

Kudos to Utah for not requiring car safety checks. Having lived in 5 states where 3 (Florida, Virginia, Wisconsin) did not require safety inspections, I can tell you that having the checks are a waste of money. No increased accidents and if there are obvious safety issues you can always be pulled over by the police. I'm sad though that it came at the expense of fortifying seat belt laws as I'm opposed to Gov't tell me what to do when it affect others very little.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Dec. 30, 2017 6:48 a.m.

I get these kinds of taxes.... they are focused on those who will also benefit from the increased tax. So that is a good thing. I just hope the state doesn't get carried away. I often rent cars when I get in at SLC, and frequently almost 50% of my bill is taxes and airport fees. I've stopped renting for the most part at the airport and now take the train down to Utah Valley. Lets hope they don't eventually don't make staying in Utah hotels financially unattractive.

• Fullypresent Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 30, 2017 12:08 a.m.

Very poor policy to get rid of car safety checks. That is not the place to lessen bureaucracy.