Andrus stoking the fire under Utah's Traeger grills

• wasatchcascade Salt Lake City, Utah
    Dec. 27, 2017 4:38 p.m.

An economic article speaking to the growth of a local company is worthwhile and laudable. There could have been though, discussion of other products and companies that have grills that are of equal value to or less expensive. Also, winter inversions, clean air and public health, should be concerns of (writers) citizens and public officials. And wood burning, (year round) and particularly in the winter, puts dangerous particulates into the air in neighborhoods and can have major impact on youth, aged and those with respiratory challenges. Wood burning (emissions) on its own, is stated by the medical community as potentially more "dangerous" and toxic than emissions from autos and many manufacturing resources. Those with wood pellet stoves should pay attention to the impact "their operation" has on their family, neighbors and neighborhood. In my local, we quit burning wood (and wood fire products) some 10 yrs. ago.

• TXAfghanVet Dallas, TX
    Dec. 27, 2017 2:30 p.m.

I'm on my second Traeger in about five years (needed to upsize). I had heard about Traeger from a friend who does competition barbecue. When I purchased my first Traeger, my wife pointed to our built in gas grill and asked if I thought I'd ever use the Traeger. Five years later, the gas grill has been lit twice. Both times to kill the bugs that took up residence in it.

On Sundays, I get in trouble with my kids if I'm not smoking something for dinner. I just did a Turkey for Christmas Eve in mine. After dinner my wife said that's the only way she wants them cooked from now on.

I've also got a network of friends that have bought Traegers off my recommendation and they pretty much all rave about them. After he owned his for a month, I asked my brother-in-law how he liked his. Before he could answer, my sister said "if I have to one more piece of smoked meat, I'm going to die." He seemed to like it.

So to all the nay sayers, you must not be using yours correctly.

• Bangarang Logan, UT
    Dec. 27, 2017 12:56 p.m.

I wouldn't describe Traeger units as high-end, but their website is good for recipes. Almost every competitor of Traeger makes a better grill at a better pricepoint.

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 27, 2017 9:18 a.m.

My wife gave me the Costco Traeger model 2 years ago and love it. Smoked brisket, meat loaf, pulled pork, rib-eyes. Flavor is incredible.

• 11cAirborne Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 27, 2017 9:03 a.m.

I decided to upgrade mine last year from an earlier model. What a mistake, newer models felt like tin metal can, made in China- Wi-Fi reception a joke, absolute junk, quickly returned it, and I have decided to stay with my older, original Traeger when the company cared more about QUALITY, than wall street dividends. Many of my friends will post the same, about the newer models, shortly.

• Oatmeal Woods Cross, UT
    Dec. 27, 2017 8:55 a.m.

Traeger grills are a fad. The hype does not match the product.

• goodnight-goodluck Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 27, 2017 8:48 a.m.

And in the mean time we can't breathe our air but Traeger has finagled an exception to the clean air days so they can burn all the time...

• imsmarterthanyou Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 27, 2017 7:59 a.m.

For the price of a Traeger, I'm surprised they sell any at all. There are equal or better grills out there for 1/2 the price.

• Mark from Montana Davis County, UT
    Dec. 27, 2017 4:32 a.m.

I asked for, and received a Traeger Grill about two years ago. I used it for a month and was so unimpressed that I returned it. A year ago I bought a real wood fired grill, not one that uses pellets, and love it. I have used it to cook our turkeys in for two years now and it makes the best turkey ever. Hands down the best way to grill.