Report: Snowmobilers decline despite rising Utah population

• bernand0 Spokane, WA
    Dec. 25, 2017 11:37 p.m.

Unless you go often, it just makes more sense to rent. I grew up with a few sleds and a boat, I just rent now. Pick it up, and drop it off- let someone else deal with the storage and maintenance.

A nice sunny powder day with a sled with a long track is amazing...

• justired Fillmore, UT
    Dec. 25, 2017 11:52 a.m.

Not enough snow, and too short a season for what there is. and it's getting worse every year. now if we could have a snow-pack like '82-'83, then we could have some fun (and a flood).

• C J Alpine, UT
    Dec. 25, 2017 6:22 a.m.

I have beeninthemountains running when those machines have driven by. With no mufflers you can hear them for miles almost. They are as loud as jet engines it seems. Good riddance I say.
    Perhaps if a manufacturer made lighter machines with electric motors instead.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Dec. 24, 2017 8:22 p.m.

I guess I am biased having grown up on dirt bike's. The ten times I have gone snow mobiling were good and bad. On a sunny day and groomed surface it was fun. The downsides are the heavy unmanagable machines plus the load of clothing you gotta wear...feels like you are going deep sea diving. The high speeds these things hit is scary too. Overall I take dirt bike's any day.

• JoelB44 Idaho Falls, ID
    Dec. 24, 2017 7:41 p.m.

Sounds good!

• Capsaicin Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 24, 2017 4:32 p.m.

Add on the $200 minimum for a snow suit, helmet, boots, gloves, etc. Then theres the “stuck factor”....if you get stuck you gotta be strong enough to move the machine. Sometimes when that one buddy of yours cant stay away from trees... the day is over after 3 or 4 of those digging snow parties. Frankly every snow machine ive ever been on have been “poorly” built requiring extensive pre and post use care. Id definitely recommend renting over purchasing.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Dec. 24, 2017 12:44 p.m.

It's much harder to find places to go snowmobiling, climate change has made reliable snow more scarce, and the machines themselves, although feature laden, are becoming very expensive. Somehow, what was commonplace when I was a kid is now a bit of a luxury.

• metalgeek 84720, 00
    Dec. 24, 2017 10:32 a.m.

On a perfect day when you have a few feet of powder on top of a good base, there is nothing more fun than snowmobiling. The problem is you'll probably only get a few days like that in a season, and most people work during those few random days where the snow is perfect. Definitely not worth the investment to me. Not to mention, the two-stroke engines of snowmobiles are so temperamental. Even in brand new snowmobiles, it's not uncommon for the engines to throw a rod and need to be totally rebuilt.