Sen. Mike Lee seeks to halt face scans at U.S. airports

• mallow Pleasant Grove, UT
    Dec. 26, 2017 5:38 p.m.

I generally side with Sen. Lee, but I agree. This seems like a pretty innocent way to screen. I, for one, even with dear friends from some targeted countries think this is a pretty good way to keep us and them safer.

• GaryO Virginia Beach, VA
    Dec. 22, 2017 11:09 a.m.

Hey Ladysmith -

Re: "Who was Kathryn Steinle . . . "

She was an American accidentally killed by an illegal alien, who I think should have suffered a greater penalty than the sentence he received.

Have you noticed how Trump's YUGE mouth causes a lot of trouble and injustice in the world?

Trump warned North Korea to stop its missile and nuclear programs, and North Korea promptly turned around and stepped up their missile tests, launching more test missiles in the first 8 months of the Trump administration than in the entire 8 years of the Obama administration. Now, North Korea has developed a missile with the range to hit ANYWHERE in the U.S. . . . Thanks to Trump and his mouth.

Trump then DEMANDED that Bowe Bergdahl be executed. The military judge responded by giving him a slap on the wrist, another injustice in my opinion, considering that fact that Americans were killed and gravely wounded looking for him. Thanks Trump!

And then Trump DEMANDED that Kathryn Steinle's killer be dealt with in the harshest manner possible . . . And now he's free. Thanks AGAIN Trump!

Face it: People don't like being pushed around by the loud, toxic Putin Puppet in the White House.

• Ladysmith Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 22, 2017 10:36 a.m.

Utah Girl Chronicles - Eagle Mountain, UT

Who was Kathryn Steinle, who killed her, and why was he still in our country illegally after already having been deported FIVE times earlier?

Maybe we do need OUR wall.

• GaryO Virginia Beach, VA
    Dec. 22, 2017 8:35 a.m.

Re: "The system erroneously flags as many as one in 25 passengers for further scrutiny . . . That means thousands of travelers could be wrongfully denied boarding each day, Lee and Markley say."

Baloney

It means thousands of travelers will be subjected to greater scrutiny from TSA agents and their foreign counterparts . . . Just as people are occasionally pulled out of line today to be scanned with a wand.

What is the REAL problem Lee has with the proposed system?

Does he want to travel travel incognito? Why?

What's the deal? Why the need for secrecy?

• Utah Girl Chronicles Eagle Mountain, UT
    Dec. 22, 2017 8:05 a.m.

Let us discuss the hypocrisy here. Last month, a Border Patrol law enforcement official was killed near Fort Stockton, Texas along Interstate 10 and one of his colleagues was seriously injured. Trump immediately tweeted the cause was "terrorism" and began screaming about the need for his wall.

It turns out both law enforcement officers were likely hit by a passing vehicle. No evidence of terrorism has ever turned up. That's OK though because that officer's death could be neatly politicized by Trump to fire up his base.

Terrorists have taken down airliners for the past fifty years. It's foolish to say it will never happen again. So we now have a scenario where facial recognition scans may stop a terrorist from boarding a plane with evil intentions but the same party that freaks out over an accident on I-10 doesn't see any need to implement this new technology.

Public safety should not be a partisan issue. Mike Lee may side with civil libertarians but in some far off desert bunker somewhere, terrorists are very happy with Mike Lee.

• kolob1 Sandy, UT
    Dec. 22, 2017 7:08 a.m.

This reminds me of the way the police fight gangs. They round everyone up along a fence and take their pictures and make them show all of their tatoos. They then photograph these also. After that they let them go. Ok Lee here is another example. Head your white horse over here and blow your horn. The cops are violating the privacy of the gangs in America. Waiting on you Lee. Lee is a headline seeker. He needs to dig into all of the internet laws passed each year that violate the privacy of all Americans but are inserted to protect and enrich his donors. That would be protecting the privacy of Americans. the iother dauy I visited a store and when I left i received a text message and a survey as to how my visit went. I have never entered any data pertinent to my visit at that store. just how diod they know I was there? Get right on it Lee. But first check you donor sheet.

• J2 Riverton, UT
    Dec. 21, 2017 10:04 p.m.

I'm glad that at least one of our senators in Utah actually cares about fighting for individual privacy and civil liberties. Thanks, Senator Lee! You are doing exactly what we voted you in for when you stand firmly against government overreach.

• AT Elk River, MN
    Dec. 21, 2017 6:09 p.m.

Right, they only store the data for 14 days. I just fell off my chair laughing. You go Lee. The state has no need to scan my face.

• Harrison Bergeron Holladay , UT
    Dec. 21, 2017 4:32 p.m.

For those of you who commented without reading the article:

"The system erroneously flags as many as one in 25 passengers for further scrutiny. That means thousands of travelers could be wrongfully denied boarding each day."

Imagine if the full body scanners falsely identified a handgun in the underpants of every 25 passengers. A lot of people would have some extra aggravation added to a process that is already borderline sadistic.

We need profile the jihadists and other threats rather than figuring out new ways to invade the privacy of the 99.9% of harmless Americans.

• water rocket Magna, UT
    Dec. 21, 2017 3:53 p.m.

If you are a murderer, a terrorist, or someone wanted for any other capital crime, then stay out of airports! When you are in public, and don't want to be recognized, then wear a mask and be ready to explain why.

With perhaps the possibility of the IRS or the courts using something like this to go after people for petty crimes, I think this would be a very good idea. In fact, even though I vigorously disliked the use of robocop cameras, I would love to see them used at every heavily used intersections to cut down on the high number of people who run red lights.

• Lets check the facts Santa Fe, NM
    Dec. 21, 2017 3:30 p.m.

I think I’m in favor of better security while flying instead of worrying about a few folks that don’t want their picture taken in public.

• Desert Suburbanite Mesa, AZ
    Dec. 21, 2017 3:20 p.m.

Seriously? In what world is there an expectation of privacy for your face when you are out in public?

• Fitness Freak Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 21, 2017 2:59 p.m.

I'm with prometheus on this. Of ALL the civil liberties being abused by Homeland Security, this one seems like one of the least intrusive.

• imsmarterthanyou Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 21, 2017 2:53 p.m.

I am 100% in support of ANYTHING, that protects the personal privacy of the American people. While I agree there are many, many other things the United States Government must be banned from doing to it's own people, this is at least a start. I would rather see a murderer get away with his crime on occasion, than for me, and every other American to lose our right to privacy in an attempt to catch him. I am against all the surveillance cameras too. Seems like you can't leave your house anymore without being on someone's camera. A perfect example of an invention that looks good on the surface but underneath is a toxic evil. For once the democrat wearing a conservative suit is doing something right.

• Prometheus Platypus Orem, UT
    Dec. 21, 2017 1:56 p.m.

I guess some people prefer a good thorough pat down.

Really this is where he draws the line, face recognition?

Warrantless wiretapping, property forfeiture laws, and unlimited detainment, were OK, but this is the final straw?