'The Last Jedi' is a hit but how much did audiences like it?

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Dec. 22, 2017 11:59 p.m.

go in with very low expectations and you will come out ...with still pretty low results. A scale of 1-10 this movie was 4.5. Worth seeing once probably. That's about it. Ya hate to see a movie that could have been great but ended up sub par. The build up was much greater than the experience. Gardians of the Gallaxy 1 much better movie by comparison. Hollywood can't produce anything good anymore probably because Hollywood just isn't any good anymore. Dumb predictable stories with loads of political sterotypes and forced acting. What ever happened to Dances With Wolves or Apollo 13 or Hunt for Red October or Saving Private Ryan and so on... those days are over for good it seems.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    Dec. 20, 2017 8:50 a.m.

Now the next trilogy has to be between Return of the Jedi and Force Awakens to explain Snoke, the First Order, why Luke bolted, where Rey came from, etc.

I loved the movie and put it almost as good as Empire. The anti-climactic statement by Ben Solo as to where Rey came from was unsatisfying and really didn't explain anything. And knowing Kylo/Ben, could have been a lie.

I loved the cameo appearance of that one guy.

The humor of this film made it a great film.

Luke being ornery and somewhat snotty is right in character for someone who had the massive failure that he had. The cameo guy set him straight.

Luke turns out to be the most powerful Jedi ever. You don't think so? How far (spoiler alert) a distance did he project himself? No other Jedi has done that. That lapel brush and the look on Kylo/Ben's face was the funniest scene in the movie.

I give the movie four stars our of four. It is a mostly satisfying movie that is very entertaining.

• wgirl Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 20, 2017 12:06 a.m.

I loved it! I honestly can't think of a single thing I didn't like...except maybe those crystal fox creatures.

It was a great time with my entire family.

Don't over think it - just enjoy it!

• AFCoug Colorado Springs, CO
    Dec. 19, 2017 5:32 p.m.

I'm still trying to figure out how the Rebellion, victorious in Return of the Jedi, are now a few hundred people strong running from the remnants of the Empire, the losers in the 1st trilogy, now called The First Order? If they were after the Empire shouldn't they be the 2nd or Next Order?

Also why so many Sith Lords? Cut one down another springs up and always in relation to the Empire, ere First Order. Thought they went down with the Emporer? This Snook guy is nothing, killed by Luke apprentice?

1st 3 are still the best although Rogue 1 was awesome as it made its own story line (filled a gap) without having to continue the existing story.

• airnaut Everett, WA
    Dec. 19, 2017 11:55 a.m.

The special effects and cinematography were great,
    the marketing was excellent,
    the script and storyline -- poor.

out of the 8 Star Wars films so far (9 counting Rogue One), it was better than the Force Awakens, but still only about #4.

New Hope
    Rogue One
    Empire Strikes Back
    The Last Jedi

• Samwise Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 19, 2017 9:40 a.m.

I greatly enjoyed it. Sure it had its flaws, but 90% of the complaints the haters bring up are very weak complaints that either can be explained very easily or likely will be addressed in Episode IX. The rest are minor flaws that are similar to the flaws that Star Wars always has had, going back to the original trilogy (I love Star Wars, but it has never been without its flaws).

Mark, I agree that The Force Awakens was pretty much a copy of A New Hope, but it still was a good, well made movie in its own right. Copying a classic, although unoriginal, can still lead to a legitimately good movie as it did with TFA.

Thus far Disney has not gone the direction I would have with Star Wars had I been given control (both with TFA and TLJ), but I do like what they have done. Rogue One was absolutely fantastic, easily the 3rd best of the series (after Empire and A New Hope). I think for the most part the haters either need to just get over themselves or just ignore Star Wars altogether if it really causes them that much angst to not see it go in the direction they would have gone.

• BlueAgBone Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 19, 2017 9:36 a.m.

I loved "The Last Jedi." I thought it had a terrific script. I put it right up there with Empire as far as quality goes. I think there needed to be changes to the Star Wars formula in order to keep the series relevant and fresh.

Some Star Wars fans put too much hype into each new movie and they end up very disappointed as a result. Their loss! I can't wait for the next one to come out in a couple of years.

@mark from montana

Google "Star Wars Ring Theory" and you'll see why "The Force Awakens" has so many similarities to "A New Hope." I'm not bothered by it. Abrams' movie is very entertaining and introduces some great characters.

• Mark from Montana Davis County, UT
    Dec. 19, 2017 9:24 a.m.

I haven't seen the movie and already dislike it. They hype is horrible, and since Return, there hasn't been a decent Star Wars movie. Lets be clear on one thing....The Force Awakens was a ripoff reboot of A New Hope. They changed a few names, a few characters (male to female) and you have a new movie......that is a complete copy of the first one filmed. It was blatant that it amazes me that many people are still in deNile swimming.

• Hoosier87 American Fork, UT
    Dec. 19, 2017 8:42 a.m.

I saw the movie last night. I have to say I liked this movie substantially more than the Force Awakens - there are so many problems with the first one you can’t even count them.

There are some serious flaws with this one too, but overall I liked it; not loved it, but liked it.

If I were Disney, I’d believe that fans aren’t happy with the direction. Some of the greatest characters in cinema history are being killed off in odd ways. And their stories are becoming just weird.

Personally I think Disney is trying too hard at multicultural nonsense.

Definitely not the direction I’d have taken the story!