4 in 10 women report gender discrimination at work

• Millenial Snow Sandy, UT
    Jan. 7, 2018 8:23 p.m.

For the most part, I have had really excellent employers and no complaints.

99% of my male colleagues have been professional and lovely to work with. But there is that one percent of men who have made my experience as a working woman very uncomfortable.

Sexism is alive and well.

• illuminated Kansas City, MO
    Dec. 16, 2017 8:33 a.m.

I think the responses to my comment make my point. Look at reality. Around 95% of CEOs in America are men. Why would any of them knowingly want to hire a woman who comes in with such assumptions about men as molestors? He is taking a massive risk that his entire business could be destroyed based on an accusation. It doesn't matter if it has merit. The atmosphere in America right now is so toxic the media is playing as judge, jury and executioner.

And this reality isn't just dawning on conservative business owners, it's dawning on liberal ones too. Look at Weinstein. He's a card-toting Democrat who supported every last feminist policy. He was outed of his own company without a second though. At the end of the day, their own bottom line is going to trump politics.

I've heard talk from some business owners I know personally that they would go so far to have their straight male employees identify as "masculine-presenting transgender females" on the paperwork just to fill the gender quota to get around hiring women. Of course, you're not going to see these business owners speak openly of this. They'll still keep up appearances, but beneath the surface, they're not dumb.

• just kidding right? West Valley City, UT
    Dec. 15, 2017 7:43 p.m.

While I am against any type of discrimination, I am also very tired of hearing the same old story over and over. Want an interesting twist on this? Ask how many men feel that they were discriminated against because a female with less qualifications and experience was promoted or given a "created" position with more pay and benefits over the male who has more qualifications and experience - basically to be diverse and provide "equal opportunity" and promote upward mobility even for less qualified co-workers. These types of political games are wrong and damaging to morale of employees and to the customers of any organization.

• HSTucker Holladay, UT
    Dec. 15, 2017 3:10 p.m.

Thank you, Max, for noting that frequent messaging, whether we want to call it advertising or propaganda, works. The myth that will not die is really the statistical deception that will not die, in large part because it's rarely reported objectively.

It shouldn't be controversial to stand up for truth.

• george of the jungle goshen, UT
    Dec. 15, 2017 2:17 p.m.

Would it matter if the subject was on gay people or races, cut I know it's on girl's. It doesn't matter it about dividing up people. Ya all heard of "united we stand, divided we fall". Etiquette is learned. Weather in the indoctrination institutionalized schools or churches.

• brian of ohio Kent, OH
    Dec. 15, 2017 2:14 p.m.

I am more in line with Max's thinking for the most part. When a women has it ingrained in their heads that they are being discriminated, of course they are going to feel that. Its simple human behavior that every advertising firm exploits.
    Do they deserve to be treated fairly? OF COURSE.
    Do they deserve a chance to be in the stem fields? OF COURSE

However, this idea that women get less pay simply because of men is gender bias. It points the blame based on gender when in fact one of the MAJOR reasons for the pay disparity is because women who are equally qualified simply ask for less on the job interview. Now is this always the case, NO. but it is documented (I just went to a neurology conference last month where this issue was discussed and the idea of women asking less was brought up by the woman speaker whos job is dealing with gender discrimination)

In short, lets stop pointing all the blame at one gender- (ie males) and focus on what we ourselves can fix.

Also, I have a hunch guys report it less IN PART because they either don't notice it or just don't care as much when it happens.

• citygrrl SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 15, 2017 1:17 p.m.

Dear Illuminated:

Sorry, but women in the workplace are here to stay. They've been working outside of the home for a long, long time. It used to be that women were confined to a few fields that society considered appropriate for what was seen as innate feminine qualities of patience and compassion. That's why your teachers were women and the nurse that helped your mother when you were born were women. Aren't you glad they were around then? Now women have more fields open to them and our society is better for it. And nobody, male/female, SAH mother or father/gainfully employed, deserves to have sexist things said to them that are patronizing, threatening or hostile. Time for you to go back to the cave, my friend, because that's the only place you can escape women in the workforce.

• unrepentant progressive Bozeman, MT
    Dec. 15, 2017 12:26 p.m.

raqueb

You take the words straight out of my mouth.

It is painfully obvious that many men can not be trusted in the workplace. Not only do some seek to take advantage of their positions of authority to sexually harass, but also seem to think it is their right to do so. Witness the comments of some (who I wish were employing a Swiftian argument to the absurd) to place women back. These comments are not worthy of an 1850's mentality much less 1950's.

It is pointless to argue with this sort.

• TOO Fairview, UT
    Dec. 15, 2017 12:17 p.m.

illuminated

I seriously can't tell if you are being facetious or you actually believe that garbage.

My wife doesn't work, my mom didn't work, my sister's don't work outside the home. However, what you say is pure sexist, plain and simple. People should not hire women? They belong in the home, and only the home?

Tell me, sir, what about the mother whose husband ran out and she has mouths to feed. What about the woman who has no more children in the home to look after? What about the widow? What about the woman whose husband is dying of illness or cannot work for whatever reason?

Yes, let's just leave them in the home, because that's where they belong. As the joke goes: "women don't need watches, because there are clocks on the stove." Right?

• raqueb Provo, UT
    Dec. 15, 2017 12:16 p.m.

@ illuminated

How about since men have somehow lost the ability to control themselves, we stop hiring men? It's too much of a liability. If we can't trust them to treat others with respect (something they should have learned in preschool), how can we trust them with other weighty matters?

• Shaun Sandy, UT
    Dec. 15, 2017 12:13 p.m.

All I can say is wow to two specific comments.

• Max Upstate, NY
    Dec. 15, 2017 11:16 a.m.

Or it could be that those with bachelors degrees have had it beat into their heads for four years to see discrimination at every turn even when it isn't there. As Jo1952 pointed out, it isn't necessarily discrimination to be treated differently. As for the gender pay gap, this is the myth that won't die. There just isn't any statistical evidence of it. The relevant explanatory variables are education, major, field, years of experience -- not gender. Google The True Story of The Gender Pay Gap in Freakonomics where Harvard Labor Economist Claudia Goldin does a great job of explaining this.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Dec. 15, 2017 10:54 a.m.

@illuminated

"Even if that were true, yes, women shouldn't be hired because they should be home raising their children as both nature and God created them to do."

Oh. My. Word.

What year were you born anyway? I'm guessing no later than 1950.

Well guess what? Nature and God created men to grow long beards...so how long is yours? I guess we're all doing things differently from what we were "created" to do.

• illuminated Kansas City, MO
    Dec. 15, 2017 10:12 a.m.

"Because some men can't control themselves you think women shouldn't be hired?"

Feminist nations that encourage women to work (through affirmative action quotas) have non-replacement level population growth. These nations, including the US, are slowly dying because women aren't being mothers.

You can either return mothers to the home or you can be replaced by third world cultures that will do it for you with a lot more pain and bloodshed (see Europe). Your choice.

• jo1952 Redmond, WA
    Dec. 15, 2017 9:39 a.m.

It's discrimination to be treated differently at work? I have men who will no swear in front of me, thankfully, is that discrimination? Guys in the office open doors for me, carry heavy packages for me, and treat me with respect. I feel privileged not discriminated against. However, years ago, I went for a job interview at a development company in SLC. The interviewer had a problem that I was single, might get married, have children and quit. I think it was an anti-Mormon thing rather than a woman thing because I knew a lot of other single women working there and they were never asked those questions.

• bass679 Novi, MI
    Dec. 15, 2017 8:57 a.m.

@Illuminated
    That's ridiculous. Because some men can't control themselves you think women shouldn't be hired?

Should I not park in my driveway because someone might break into my car? Should I not carry money because someone might rob me? Perhaps these men could learn to keep their hands to themselves instead?

• illuminated Kansas City, MO
    Dec. 15, 2017 7:07 a.m.

Business need to stop hiring women altogether. You're rolling the dice on lawsuits for frivolous accusations, which the lawyer and media are exploiting and exaggerating.

It's just too much risk to have females in the work place now.